Bull Bars, grill guards etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RagnarNorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Let's see your bull bar, front bumper, grill guards.

Any suggestions on a bull bar or grill guard that allows access to the winch (most cover up the winch opening) and will accommodate a light bar?

AEV is pretty sweet but don't really want to spend $2500 + or replace the bumper.

Sans bull bar.
6b998933b700cee165b291bb298def7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BevisIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l hemi
You want to get rid of your black bumpers? I trade for my chrome ones!!!!

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Those bull bars are very weak with how they attach and ruin your approach angle. Generally for people who don't know any better. But too each their own. If you like it, that's all that matters.

abearsfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
if you're just looking for a light bar, KC Hilites and Randy Ellis make virtually the same bar, it mounts behind the tow hooks and doesn't interfere with the winch. I ordered one and should get it in a few days, will post pics ASAP.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
KIMG0134.jpg

I have thoroughly enjoyed mine... it even ended up even being featured as one of the photo trucks on the Tough Country Brush Guard ordering site.

It mounts solidly to the frame and even allows you to retain the factory D-Rings if you wish, which I did.

The loss of approach angle has never been a real issue, as the beefy lower vertical rails simply slide across any approaches, such as on slick rock, rather than tearing off the lower plastic air dam or allowing the bottom of the bumper to make contact and damage it.

As an unexpected bonus, while 'wheeling in deep snow, I ran into a concealed tree stump that stopped the truck dead in it's tracks. Even with all of that momentum, it only put a bit of a dent in the lower cross bar tube, but is hardly noticeable. I hate to even think of the costly damage that would have been done to the Tie Rod, Front Diff Cover or Axle Tube, let alone how I would have had to spend the rest of the day attempting to recover the truck from where I was, far from civilization in freezing temps.

Sometimes people do know better, with it just being a matter of what they want. I prefer the 'complete' look and coverage of a full factory bumper, with some added protection to my nice, pricy truck, and leave the severe hacking and yanking off all that pricey, though sometimes fragile bits to my 'serious' dedicated trail rigs.

Here is where I purchased my guard. They offer lots of options, from guards to loops to full replacement bumper assemblies.

https://www.hdtruckware.com/dodge-c...3_25_140/tough-country-brush-guard-p-246.html

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
NICE! I just ordered another to install on my recently purchased 2016. I also re-ordered the kit that provides the rubber strips that cover the vertical "push bars". I found that they not only were nice in pushing cars and things around without scratching them, but also make great 'feelers' for the front end; the '13 didn't come with Front Proximity Sensors. Plus, it is nice to use every inch of parking spaces with the big steel, concrete filled polls in parking lots, so as not to leave the rear end hanging out just asking some dummy to bump into it in the often overly narrow parking lot lanes, or in under/above ground parking structures. I ease right up and just let it kiss the wall, poll or whatever. No harm, no foul.

Or if left with no options, I will back into a shallow or end stall, leaving the guard to deal with any inattentive drivers passing by. I've had people back into the rear bumper, and even lower rear quarter panel, but people really avoid that intimidating and rugged front push bar! Seems like people are a lot less likely to slide in at the last moment rolling up to a light or in stop and go traffic and squeeze in front of you either. Same for narrow two lane roads. They are much more courteous and don't crowd to to it's increased command presence.

Some like the taller loop that can be seen from the driver's seat, others do not. I personally like it, as it provides just a little more point of reference as to how far the nose is out there when things get really tight. I also purchased a 20-something inch LED light bar to install inside that open loop at the front of the hood, just haven't yet.

I like yours, and it looks like you could fit a larger / wider bar than up top where I was going.

I'll post up more pics when I get the guard on the new truck, and when I get around to finally installing the LED light bars on them.

0208141649a.jpg

LakeFisher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I went with the Westin Contour bull bar. Winch will rub if you are higher than your end point. I'm thinking about welding modified brackets to lower it several inches to give me the clearance I need. Just may be a bit before I get around to that and couldn't resist installing it!

20180217_Ram_Front.jpg

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got the same make/model Brush Guard as shown on my '13 above mounted on my '16. I will post more pics when I get the light bar, push bar rubber strips and additional shackles mounted. MVIMG_20180218_160048.jpg

BevisIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l hemi
Anyone go with heavier springs in the front to prevent sag with the added weight of the bars?

Bimmer00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I went with the Westin Contour bull bar. Winch will rub if you are higher than your end point. I'm thinking about welding modified brackets to lower it several inches to give me the clearance I need. Just may be a bit before I get around to that and couldn't resist installing it!

View attachment 120706
I really like this bull bar. More into the simpler ones like this one.
Does the winch hook latch on to the stock circle thingies(sorry can’t think of what they’re called right now)without it rubbing on the bull bar?

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone go with heavier springs in the front to prevent sag with the added weight of the bars?
I went with +100kg front springs with the tuff bullbar/brush rails/side steps...e7eec29bdc4e4bcac6c64e0d5960d626.jpg

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

LakeFisher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I really like this bull bar. More into the simpler ones like this one.
Does the winch hook latch on to the stock circle thingies(sorry can’t think of what they’re called right now)without it rubbing on the bull bar?
I took my hook off so I'm not sure. It's pretty close but I think it might not rub if you kept it tight.