Thinking of trading in the Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking of trading in my 2014 Laramie white in color.

Found a 2016 Sport, black, that is fully loaded. has luxury package and all. It comes with cooled seats and built in brake controller. I believe the only option I would lose is the memory seats and the interior is a little different.

I gain the keyless entry/starting system and rain sensing wipers.

Vehicle has 28,000 on it and comes certified. Mine currently has 28,400.

Payments would decrease as well, IF, I get what I'm suppose to for trade in.

What are your thoughts on this? Keep the truck I have, or trade it in?

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How close are you to paying off your current truck? I did a similar trade in on my 2014 Ram from a 2015 Tundra. Personally, whichever you pay off first is what I would go with. As long as you can afford it and does what you NEED it to do. Now if you like the Sport better than your current truck - and that is the real motivation behind the swap.....well none of us will help you make the decision. sorry. Because, I have a feeling you already made up your mind :favorites13:

I have had 3 different trucks within the last 4 years (more often than not I wish I just paid one off and kept it)......I have always traded down in value and up in mileage...not necessarily a good strategy. BUT I have always reduced my loan in every-way. Each truck I was trading in for offered something more conducive to how I use my truck (mostly towing a boat, fishing, camping, hunting, and light off road). Point being is once I made up in my mind I liked the idea of the truck I did not have -well guess what......I TRADED in for it hahaha

nobody's advice resonated with me once I mentally decided I liked the other truck.

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct, This one comes with a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty since its certified, my current one doesn't I believe. Mine is a 2014 and this one is a 2016.

It also is the sport version so everything is colored match, which I like. I believe it also has the 3.92 gears on it, which seem sought after.

I will gain the keyless entry/starting system, rain sensing wipers and I believe an updated Uconnect system.

I will lose my memory seats, rear heated seats and my moonroof

Both trucks have the same amount of miles on them.

Loan payments would go down about 20 a month, but I already overpay quite a bit a month more.

Payoff amount would be the same on both trucks, If I can get the numbers that blue book tells me I can.

So basically everything loan wise and mileage stays the same. I just gain a 2 year newer truck thats certified with a powertrain warranty and I lose memory seats, moonroof and rear heated seats.

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would double check your current 2014 power train warranty. My 2014 is a CPO with the warranty you mentioned the sport has. I did notice on the Ram window sticker I located on the uconnect website that it came with a factory 100 mile power train warranty. Also when you say updated uconnect systems do you mean software? or are you gaining nav? because you can always update the uconnect software. Personally if your current truck has more warrant left on it than you think and the uconnect upgrade merely software I say keep your Laramie.

Are both 4x4s?

does your currently truck have skid plates and tow hooks? It would bother me that the sport def does not have front tow hooks and more than likely no skid plates....but thats me not you.

Also I too bought a CPO Ram. MAKE THE DEALER GO THROUGH THE CPO CHECK LIST WITH YOU ON THE TRUCK prior to purchase!!!! the dealer I bought mine from basically said take our word for it meets the requirements of Ram that it is CPO. It costs a dealer 300-500$ to certify a truck! my truck had about 2-3 things that should have been fixed prior to the sale of a CPO truck. Example a working door lock! and fluid changes. the owner before did the 50k mile service a fews months prior his traded which i think prevented the dealer from feeling the need to check the truck out. The CPO warranty does not take affect until the dealer sends in the paper work to Ram. It takes Ram about 2-3 weeks to process it. This left me out of warranty for about 1 month because it took the dealer 3 weeks to realize they never sent it in to Ram. The dealer forgot to do it on my Truck. Which I contacted Ram about and they were very helpful and were not happy with the dealer. In fact I was shock how good Rams customer service was over the phone in Michigan.

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me the only deal breaker would be not having the 3.92 gears.
Jay

Jay, I believe both my current truck and this one I'm looking at both have the 3.92 gears.

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would double check your current 2014 power train warranty. My 2014 is a CPO with the warranty you mentioned the sport has. I did notice on the Ram window sticker I located on the uconnect website that it came with a factory 100 mile power train warranty. Also when you say updated uconnect systems do you mean software? or are you gaining nav? because you can always update the uconnect software. Personally if your current truck has more warrant left on it than you think and the uconnect upgrade merely software I say keep your Laramie.

Are both 4x4s?

does your currently truck have skid plates and tow hooks? It would bother me that the sport def does not have front tow hooks and more than likely no skid plates....but thats me not you.

Also I too bought a CPO Ram. MAKE THE DEALER GO THROUGH THE CPO CHECK LIST WITH YOU ON THE TRUCK prior to purchase!!!! the dealer I bought mine from basically said take our word for it meets the requirements of Ram that it is CPO. It costs a dealer 300-500$ to certify a truck! my truck had about 2-3 things that should have been fixed prior to the sale of a CPO truck. Example a working door lock! and fluid changes. the owner before did the 50k mile service a fews months prior his traded which i think prevented the dealer from feeling the need to check the truck out. The CPO warranty does not take affect until the dealer sends in the paper work to Ram. It takes Ram about 2-3 weeks to process it. This left me out of warranty for about 1 month because it took the dealer 3 weeks to realize they never sent it in to Ram. The dealer forgot to do it on my Truck. Which I contacted Ram about and they were very helpful and were not happy with the dealer. In fact I was shock how good Rams customer service was over the phone in Michigan.

I meant updated software, I apologize. My truck does have navigation.

I would need to check into the warranty on mine, you might be right about the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain on it. So I would have about 2 years left before it expires. I would have 4 with the new truck.

My current truck has no tow hooks and I'm unsure about the skid plates but I doubt it has them.

Good idea about the CPO worksheet and going through it with them. I've always wondered if a dealer actually did all them points of inspection to pass it or if they skipped a bunch of it that a normal buyer could never tell.

I pulled up both build sheets from dodge side by side and they are almost identical. I'm only losing the features that I stated which are the moonroof, memory seats and rear heated seats.

Both have the heavy duty tow package built in, the 3.92 gears, etc.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I meant updated software, I apologize. My truck does have navigation.

I would need to check into the warranty on mine, you might be right about the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain on it. So I would have about 2 years left before it expires. I would have 4 with the new truck.

My current truck has no tow hooks and I'm unsure about the skid plates but I doubt it has them.

Good idea about the CPO worksheet and going through it with them. I've always wondered if a dealer actually did all them points of inspection to pass it or if they skipped a bunch of it that a normal buyer could never tell.

I pulled up both build sheets from dodge side by side and they are almost identical. I'm only losing the features that I stated which are the moonroof, memory seats and rear heated seats.

Both have the heavy duty tow package built in, the 3.92 gears, etc.
Register on www.mopar.com in the Mopar Owners Section with your name, address and VIN. you will be able to see the maintenance history, and most importantly, it will show you your entire Warranty breakdown, with everything listed that's included.

• 2012 Ram 1500 RCSB Hemi • 22" SRT-10 Wheels Plastidipped Black w/ Bridgestone Tires • Smoked Taillights • Custom Quad Headlights • Opt-7 FluxBeam-X 6000k LED Lows • MicTuning 6000k LED Fogs • K&N 63 Series CAI • Flowmasters Muffler • Line-X Bed • OEM Black Badges All Around • 20% Tint All Around • Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau + plenty more coming soon...

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, after having the 3.92's I couldn't downgrade.

Too much fun.

All these talks of 3.92 and 3.21, what does that all mean?

Is their a huge difference?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

It's the axle gear ratio. I'm not good at explaining it, but the higher the number, the better the butt dyno is going feel. There are benefits to towing and speed too, but I'm not sure how to explain the technical side lol

The lower the number, the better mileage you'll get, typically on highway tho

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking of trading in my 2014 Laramie white in color.

Found a 2016 Sport, black, that is fully loaded. has luxury package and all. It comes with cooled seats and built in brake controller. I believe the only option I would lose is the memory seats and the interior is a little different.

I gain the keyless entry/starting system and rain sensing wipers.

Vehicle has 28,000 on it and comes certified. Mine currently has 28,400.

Payments would decrease as well, IF, I get what I'm suppose to for trade in.

What are your thoughts on this? Keep the truck I have, or trade it in?

I just did a similar trade myself... 2014 laramie for a 2017 sport. What I lost:

- Memory seat position on driver side (no one drives my truck but me)
- Electric seat controls passenger side (not my problem lol!)
- Heated back seats (The Sport seats are the leather/material mix, which I prefer)
- Cooled front seats (I rarely used it, and you don't need it with the mixed medium seats)
- Towing controller (I don't tow the camper anymore, it's parked)
- The subtle blue lighting in the door (I miss this part)

What I gained:

- Motorized closing side mirrors
- Auto-dimming side mirrors
- LED lights in the truck bed (YESSS!!!!!!!)
- Rear window defroster (YESSS!!!!!)
- A color I LOOOOOOVE
- Lower monthly payments :D
- Lower Insurance

Overall I am very happy with my trade. I got the Laramie because it was an AMAZING deal for a fully loaded truck, but I never really learned to like those damn lower body panels that were a different color than the truck. I had the Crystal Granite body color with the silver lower panels and always wished they were the same color. So when I saw the orange sport for the first time, I fell in love and traded up the very next day LOL

The ONLY thing I don't like is how easily this truck's paint is chipping, I am shocked at how many rock chips I've picked up in 3 months. I just installed front mud guards tonight in the hopes it gets that under control. The front sections of my lower rocker panels look like someone attacked them with a BB gun. The entire front of the truck has Xpel installed.

The truck is also a head turner... I've actually come out of a place of business twice now and saw people taking pictures of it in the parking lot. Proud of my girl! lol!

Dan

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some people swear by the 3.92s but I had a 14 Sport with 3.21 and now a 17 Laramie with 3.92 and the difference doesn't seem that great to me. Again, that is just my opinion. If you're towing heavy, which I don't, I guess it could make a difference.

Also, the 14 does have a 5 year/ 100k powertrain warranty. IMO you know how yours was taken care of. You have no idea how the 16 was used. Even though the 16 is a CPO and will come with a waranty it may have issues that will keep it in the shop. Plus, the ex and I bought a CPO Nissan and the warranty wasn't quite as good as an actual new car warranty. Some things weren't covered that would've been with a new car warranty. Luckily, we never had any issues with the car. I would double check the actual coverage. Good luck with your decision.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Things behind the engine take the number of engine revolutions and multiply it for either power, or fuel economy.

A transmission has different gear ratios in each gear (manual or auto), and CVT (constant velocity transmission) has an infinite ratio. For example, a 2000 era jeep wrangler had a 4:1 first gear, so for every 4 revolutions of the engine output the output on the transmission would turn once. An over drive is exactly as it sounds any time the engine revolutions are less than the revolution output of the transmission for example it can be 0.84:1. In that example for every 0.84 revolutions of the engine output, the output on the transmission is 1.

A transfer case (TC) can either have one speed 1:1 or multiple speeds (most have 2) called low range. A typical upgraded TC will have a 4:1, which means that the output of the transmission in whatever gear will have to turn 4 times for one revolution of the output to the driveshafts.

A differential will also have gear reducing capabilities. So, each (or 1 for 2 wheel drive) will have a numeric number like 3.21:1 or 3.92:1. This makes it so for every 3.21 revolutions of the driveshafts (connected to the transfer case or on 2wd to the transmission) the axles (tires) will rotate 1 time.

For each of these components people typically just drop off the ":1"

The higher the axle ratio number, the less "work" an engine has to do to move the same amount of load, the draw back to this is engine RPMs will be higher at the same speed, which means burning more fuel. From 3.21 to 3.92 you are talking about a 22% difference in ratios (so it is actually big). The Hemi engine simply has so much power that even with the 3.21 ratio it is fast and powerful.

A common regearing for 2000's jeep wranglers was to go from 3.73 to 4.56 which is also a 22% increase. With an engine with much less horsepower that gain is much more noticeable.

Hope that helps...

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some people swear by the 3.92s but I had a 14 Sport with 3.21 and now a 17 Laramie with 3.92 and the difference doesn't seem that great to me. Again, that is just my opinion. If you're towing heavy, which I don't, I guess it could make a difference.

Were all things the same? As in, did your 14 have the same 8spd transmission as your 17? Did you have the same wheel/tire size (including tire brand because of weight)?

I agree with a hemi engine is not AS noticeable but the difference in axle ratios is quite big. With all things the same side by side, the truck with 3.92 would easily pull ahead of one with 3.21 in any race.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Were all things the same? As in, did your 14 have the same 8spd transmission as your 17? Did you have the same wheel/tire size (including tire brand because of weight)?

I agree with a hemi engine is not AS noticeable but the difference in axle ratios is quite big. With all things the same side by side, the truck with 3.92 would easily pull ahead of one with 3.21 in any race.

Both had the 8spd/hemi combination. Both started off with the factory 33" Wrangler SRAs. I just don't feel much of a difference. I've never tried to race anything with my trucks. Maybe the 3.92 would win but just by "feel" I don't feel much difference.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Payment wise it may be the same. loan wise im sure its a longer loan than what is left on your current.

most people care about payments not the overall picture of total amount. dealers love this because they can just "stretch" your payments to get you into that car for the amount a month you want to spend.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7

One of the big things for me is the colour. I love black trucks but won't buy anymore of them because they are such a pain the ass to keep clean and wash...if you're OCD like I am.

In regards to the gears....the 3.92's rip the pavement off the ground in comparison to the 3.21's. I've driven both & would never go without the 3.92's.

It really is a night & day difference.

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of the big things for me is the colour. I love black trucks but won't buy anymore of them because they are such a pain the ass to keep clean and wash...if you're OCD like I am.

In regards to the gears....the 3.92's rip the pavement off the ground in comparison to the 3.21's. I've driven both & would never go without the 3.92's.

It really is a night & day difference.

I love your truck. It was my inspiration before I bought mine. I just couldn't find a sport version at the time so I bought a laramie instead.

I don't like the chrome on mine whatsoever, or the chrome strip around the tail lights.

I like white, especially when its clean. You can't beat the white on black, it just looks sooooo good.

I would love to get a white sport version but don't necessarily want to deal with trade in or get screwed and end up paying more in the end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plato45