2014 RAM1500 new Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Guys,

I was looking at this new 2014 RAM truck in a dealership, which has 99,100 kms and I heard whining noise when I accelerate and give gas. Finally after getting a good deal, I took the truck to dodge for a buy/sell inspection and they said the noise is due to transmission and they are changing to a new transmission without any cost from us.

The bad thing is if I buy this truck, I will not have any factory warranty after 800kms. Dodge gave me a report saying all other things are perfectly normal and no leaks. Is this new transmission good on a used truck and would you buy this truck?

Please advice.

Thanks,
AG

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It had better be heavily discounted before I'd take it. Ask if the replacement transmission has warranty and if it's actually new- I would suspect a reman. A reman is fine, but I am of the opinion that they should be handled by the factories not in house.

Any chance they'll throw in a little extra warranty? I would proceed with caution.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The new trans should have it's own warranty. I would also Google Chrysler extended warranties, and see if one fits your budget.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
thanks

Well is 28k CAD and no extended warranty on new trans.

Smurf,

What do you mean by reman?

AG

Rampaige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well is 28k CAD and no extended warranty on new trans.

Smurf,

What do you mean by reman?

AG

Reman = Remanufactured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m not sure $28k CAD is that great of a price for a 2014 with 100,000km on it, unless it is a really high trim level. If it is a Sport or lower I would say walk away and find another truck that doesn’t have issues or has lower mileage with warranty remaining.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it 2wd or 4wd? How many doors, what engine??

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
my lingering worry
how much was truck beat n to blow a transmission at 60,000 miles?????
brianj

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this the 8spd or 6spd transmission we're talking about.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Here are the details.

1. Is a v8 hemi
2. 4 doors
3. 8 speed transmission
4. Trim level is sport
5. Kms = 99100 (remaining warranty only for 900 kms)
6. Fully loaded and no other issues as per dodge.
7. Dealer agreed to change rear 2 tires in that 28k cost.
8. Windshield broken and dealer put a new one.
9. Vehicle is still with dodge for tranny change and dodge confirmed they are putting a rebuild tranny(from Chrysler US)..and they will provide 2 year warranty for just the tranny. Power train waranty will be done in 900 kms.

Am still debating whether to go with this truck or walkout(i paid a deposit of $500 and paid $150 for inspection with dodge).

OS

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sucks not knowing the history of the vehicle but besides some reporting a rough 2-1 downshift, the 8spd seems to be pretty dang reliable. I think if you're happy with the deal and now knowing you'll have a brand new transmission, you should have a good reliable truck.

I would go ahead and change out all the fluids while you're at it, diffs, t-case, coolant, brake fluid, etc.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The price is decent, at least for 2014 sports in my area.

The problem for me is the new trans. With only a 800 km warranty on it I would walk.

At just over 99,000 km the tires would have been replaced once probably not too long ago (since the fronts are being left alone) and the previous owner has already spun the backs off so they need replacing again.

This coupled with a full trans replacement screams **** bagged to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks

Grizz,

I am also in Calgary and this deal is with CMP auto , NE calgary.

OS

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd want at least a year warranty on that tranny. If it goes sideways those 8 speeds are ridiculously pricey. Even if it was beat on hard I imagine the engine is still ok, but I'd worry about the rest of the driveline.

In your shoes- I'd walk. Great deal or not. Your peace of mind has to be worth something.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I spoke to dodge last week and they said they will give 2 year warranty on Tranny, but yesterday another lady said nope only 800 more kms. What if they give 2 year warranty? should i take it?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you could get a 2 year tranny warranty in writing and the rest of the truck is in great condition I would be tempted for that price.

Is 28 grand the out the door price or is this before all the dealer extras and GST?

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Out of the door price..with new rear tires + new windshield. Am trying to catch hold of dodge guys to see what they say about the waranty...if they say no warranty after 800kms , am confused whether to go with it or not.

Isn't it good for a buyer, since they changed it with a new tranny? (or) you think is bad.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If they'd put in writing that you get a 2 year on the tranny it may be more tempting. If not, well you know my thoughts. Don't. If the tranny goes again two months in you now have a truck payment and you'll be spending upwards of 8 or 9g (this price based on what I looked up a few years ago just out of curiosity) to put another new one in. I don't know if things have changed much since they went into the rams in 2013, but back then my brother in law said they usually didn't fix the 8 speeds if something internal failed. Always replaced due to the complexity and lack of field training at the time.

Maybe it's different now... but I'd still be leary.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A new trans is good for a buyer but you have to ask yourself why it was replaced so early in the trucks life.

Warranties come on new vehicles because parts can be faulty even though they are new. If the new trans turns out to be a bad one getting it fixed on your dime is expensive. 800 km isn't enough time to ensure it is a good one IMO.

I would want to see that the truck itself is in great shape. No dents and no excessive wear and tear inside and out. No accidents would be ideal too.