Might buy a Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n2fordmuscle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey y'all. New member here.

I've owned an 02 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L. And currently own an 03 1500 HEMI. I plan to trade it in for a newer 4x4 HEMI powered 2500. This will be my daily driver, about 30 miles round trip to work every day. I tow (car on a trailer) maybe a couple of times a year. And we're planning on getting a small camper soon. Both of those scenarios should be at or under 8000#, and not frequent at all. We also have an 06 Jeep Rubicon, and enjoy off-roading every once in a while. So, I'm thinking a Power Wagon might be a nice addition. I've been eye-balling 2010 - 2011 models. However, I recently learned of the '05 model, and love it. I don't really want one that old, but if I were to find one, I've got a few questions.

How reliable are the exclusive parts on the '05 model? Like the "smart bar", the lockers, etc. Are they the same as the ones on the newer models? Are they hard to find / expensive?

Any real world experience with what gas mileage I should expect in the '05 model? How about the '09-'10 model? About the same?

Any other input on reliability or known issues to look out for either the '05 vs the '09-10 model?

Thanks for your time!

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2009 and 2010 are two different body style trucks.

the 2005 smart bar differs from the 2006-2009 trucks, and im pretty sure the 2010+ smart bar is different from those as well. the 2005 smart bar used to be significantly cheaper then the 2006+, but im not sure if they are available new anymore. you may want to get the vin or part number to see whats still available.

the lockers themselves dont really fail, its usually the smartbar, which controls them. its pretty common for guys to just bypass the smart bar and hardwire the lockers in this case.

OP
OP
N

n2fordmuscle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. I sold my 1500 yesterday. So, driving the Jeep or my '76 Mercury Montego station wagon for now :) , until I find my replacement 2500. I definitely have the bug for a Power Wagon. More to come....

Ghaugo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had that same bug a last year when I found my 2012 on Autotrader. I got a good deal on my 1500 trade, and I came home with a Power Wagon. I have been happy ever since. Now I just want to find some more reasons to drive around. They are great trucks. Enjoy your search! There are quite a few reasonably priced used ones around with decent mileage. Mine only had 19,000 when I found it. I am replacing all of my fluids as it sat for a while, but it runs like a champ.