Replacement headlight & turn signal assemblies?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sidpost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am looking at replacing the dim yellowed headlight assemblies on my Ram 1500. I drive a lot at night at highway speeds so, I'm basically "overrunning" my lights. :nono:

Hella Ralley Pro 4000's are way too much for 'on road' use so those are not getting mounted on this pickup, though some reasonable fog lights are an option. However, I need to start with new headlight assemblies.

The problem I have is sorting through all the options. A pair of assemblies run anywhere from $50 to $150 with unknown benefits of one versus the other beyond some basic cosmetics.

Where should I be shopping? What do you recommend? I want good beam quality, good throw, good color, good saturation, and proper fit. I'm NOT looking for HID or LED solutions unless they are reasonably priced and reliable assuming the criteria above are met.

TIA,
Sid

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I am looking at replacing the dim yellowed headlight assemblies on my Ram 1500. I drive a lot at night at highway speeds so, I'm basically "overrunning" my lights.

You could try one of the headlight polishing kits and some new bulbs. About 2 years ago I decided to take a chance on the 3M polishing kit on my '01 Dakota which had very similar lights to yours. I was doubtful about it, but they were so yellowed and hazy that it was a case of "Either this works or I have to replace them entirely" so I risked the $20. I was amazed at how well it worked. They turned out looking like new. So much so that when I sold the truck 2 months ago, the buyer thought I had put new headlights on it recently. The one I used was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AIZ5HY

-K

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I never recommend 1pc housings for anything whether it's an HID projector retro or a basic new swap to new lights. They aim like ****, fit like ass and look like ****. With regular halogen bulbs the pattern is a joke. The 2pc have much better optics and a cleaner look. The only exception is the fake projector lights that Spyder sells. They seem to fit well and look clean though they still aim like ass

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
I have two sets of the one piece with zero fitment issues. The beam pattern is also better than any of OEM stock non-sport lights I've seen. Oh and they for sure have adjustment screws.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
output on some is fine but it's extremely hit or miss. I've built several and had several that had weird hotspots, v shapes or just looked funky in general and I've had some that looked like the stock pattern. 2pc consistently replicate factory pattern though.

When i say fitment issues in referring to alignment and how well they fit along the edge. Specifically the corner light edge always has a gap or doesn't look right and it stands out.

A single adjustment screw is worthless. That one on the back is trash. I don't use single piece when i do retrofits anymore for that reason as well as many simply not having a single adjustment screw

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I say a Sport conversion and be done with it.

OP
OP
S

sidpost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CH00512-HLAP_1.jpg
PERDE 1999-2002 Dodge Ram Sport Halogen Headlights Pair w/Performance Lens

Does anyone have experience with these headlights? Are they a good choice? At $110 they seem to be a bit on the expensive side but, it looks like people post some favorable reviews about them.

I would most likely go with the Stern Lighting conversion so I have relays to avoid burning factory headlight wiring.

TIA,
Sid

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963