Check out my new Aluminum 468 for my Daytona

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
46rh ftw! An if your gonna road course the truck Drunken then I would opt for a manual trans(t-56, tr6060)
That's where I was gonna head next, manual conversion or a 518 (old school 727 with an OD)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A 518? 5 speed? How tough is it, and how far can it be built?

Sent from my magic 5-inch
No lol...guessing you have no clue what's 727 is lol. 727 was arguably one of the strongest stock automatics ever made (in both big & small block form). 518 is based on a small block bolt pattern 727 and has a simple OD. 4sp.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Oh.

*sigh*

So much for my 6-speed+ built auto goals. Can't they make a Rekluse Auto Clutch for the automotive industry? Or a freakin electronic clutchpack computer controlled sequential that can be overridden with a pedal and shifter in the cab to be driven manually?

They already pretty much do that with dual-clutch transmissions. Shouldn't be hard to have an e-clutch sequential with a hydropneumatic actuator in it for both modes....

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's where I was gonna head next, manual conversion or a 518 (old school 727 with an OD)

Yea I need to see what Keiths(c392) rpms are at highway speeds. A 4spd an 4.56s idk if that's overkill.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yea I need to see what Keiths(c392) rpms are at highway speeds. A 4spd an 4.56s idk if that's overkill.
Why is why I haven't looked in this direction. Single OD with 4.56's would be awful lol.

OP
OP
Lethal Hemi

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
"And I just, ****** IN MY PANTS!"

Lol, not really. But damn. Why not a 440?

Because I plan on boosting it once I do some damage NA. I’ll send the motor for a refresh and install new pistons to lower the compression and add a whipple. If I was to stay NA and never go boost then yeah I would’ve done a 440 or bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lethal Hemi

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
No lol...guessing you have no clue what's 727 is lol. 727 was arguably one of the strongest stock automatics ever made (in both big & small block form). 518 is based on a small block bolt pattern 727 and has a simple OD. 4sp.

I would like a a518 but can’t seem to find one locally. They seem to all be up north [emoji23]. My thing is on a a518 who makes good converters for them? I would need like a 4000 stall. That’s why I’m leaning towards the 4l80.

Is it true u can use almost all stock parts for the 518 swap? Like driveshaft, starter etc etc v

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea there's a couple trucks here in FL with them in. I got a 46rh sitting for if I decide to take the plunge, I believe he did reuse stock driveshaft. It was like it should of been in there from factory.

OP
OP
Lethal Hemi

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Wait so for more horsepower you would need a different trans? You can't upgrade the stock to handle more power? So for example of you have a 410 stroker with 9psi of boost what trans would you use?

Not really but kinda! [emoji16] A My Heads cam FBO 5.7 made right at 400 rwhp and 420 rwtq and my 545rfe was strong as hell and on occasion I’d spray a 100 shot and no issues. But I had upgraded transmission lines, cooler and deep pan with my 3800 stall. So depends on how aggressive ur 410ci will be determine if u need to go another route right away. But eventually u will cause u will get tired of transmission failures even if each other last 15-25k miles

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Full bolt on

OP
OP
Lethal Hemi

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
[emoji23]

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
[emoji23]

AND I CALL MYSELF A F***ING CAR GUY, AMIRIGHT?? [emoji23]

Edit: but what's actually included in FBO? I though heads were, since they bolt on and all. Cam is a different animal, so yeah. Does it include an aftermarket ignition system? Ecu? Throttle body?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lethal Hemi

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
AND I CALL MYSELF A F***ING CAR GUY, AMIRIGHT?? [emoji23]

Edit: but what's actually included in FBO? I though heads were, since they bolt on and all. Cam is a different animal, so yeah. Does it include an aftermarket ignition system? Ecu? Throttle body?

It’s a non ending debate but 99% of racers refer to FBO as Headers, intake, pulley, TB. That’s why on my post I stated heads cam and FBO as the other mods

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I see. But a Pulley? Thought you only did that on supercharged builds? What Pulley do you upgrade for FBO and why on an [starting off as] N/A motor? And for that matter, what throttle body can you put on this thing as a bolt on part? Or did you just mean cable pull instead of drive by wire??

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Not really but kinda! [emoji16] A My Heads cam FBO 5.7 made right at 400 rwhp and 420 rwtq and my 545rfe was strong as hell and on occasion I’d spray a 100 shot and no issues. But I had upgraded transmission lines, cooler and deep pan with my 3800 stall. So depends on how aggressive ur 410ci will be determine if u need to go another route right away. But eventually u will cause u will get tired of transmission failures even if each other last 15-25k miles

So I don't have a 410 stroker but I'm tired of my 4.7 so I'm currently saving up for a big swap but what kind of trans would you run, one that would obviously last longer than 25k miles and not need too much modification to adjust for this trans. By that I mean like weld a new spot for the cross member and stuff of that nature. Also when I just put the stock 5.7 hemi in what's a better trans the 45RFE or the 545RFE?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I see. But a Pulley? Thought you only did that on supercharged builds? What Pulley do you upgrade for FBO and why on an [starting off as] N/A motor? And for that matter, what throttle body can you put on this thing as a bolt on part? Or did you just mean cable pull instead of drive by wire??

Underdrive pulley, causes accessories to turn slower and cause less drag on the engine. Putting a 6.1 damper on an LX 5.7 is cheap and easy underdrive pulley. He speaks of ported throttle bodies. Bigger bore, better shaped. Problem is, unless you have major mods that change the amount of air you're moving in and out of the engine, the return doesn't justify the cost on a stock engine.

So I don't have a 410 stroker but I'm tired of my 4.7 so I'm currently saving up for a big swap but what kind of trans would you run, one that would obviously last longer than 25k miles and not need too much modification to adjust for this trans. By that I mean like weld a new spot for the cross member and stuff of that nature. Also when I just put the stock 5.7 hemi in what's a better trans the 45RFE or the 545RFE?

I have yet to see someone have a finished consistently reliable hemi swap from a 3.7/4.7/5.9 even. Everyone's eyes and plans generally start out bigger than their wallets and technical ability and they find out the hard way lol. To answer your question though, if you are putting a stock hemi in, the RFE will be enough. This is where I question your technical ability to do this swap because you don't actually know that a 45RFE and 545RFE are the same trans with different programming. It's the software that makes the difference. You can take a 45RFE from say a 2002 4.7 and say stick it in a 2003 5.7 and it instantly becomes a 545RFE because of the programming (ask me how I know this). Hell even the 6sp they had for a few years before the 8sp is the same trans with revised programming.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Underdrive pulley, causes accessories to turn slower and cause less drag on the engine. Putting a 6.1 damper on an LX 5.7 is cheap and easy underdrive pulley. He speaks of ported throttle bodies. Bigger bore, better shaped. Problem is, unless you have major mods that change the amount of air you're moving in and out of the engine, the return doesn't justify the cost on a stock engine.

I have yet to see someone have a finished consistently reliable hemi swap from a 3.7/4.7/5.9 even. Everyone's eyes and plans generally start out bigger than their wallets and technical ability and they find out the hard way lol. To answer your question though, if you are putting a stock hemi in, the RFE will be enough. This is where I question your technical ability to do this swap because you don't actually know that a 45RFE and 545RFE are the same trans with different programming. It's the software that makes the difference. You can take a 45RFE from say a 2002 4.7 and say stick it in a 2003 5.7 and it instantly becomes a 545RFE because of the programming (ask me how I know this). Hell even the 6sp they had for a few years before the 8sp is the same trans with revised programming.
Hmm. Didn't know that. But wouldn't that make your power steering and a/c weaker? And alternator for that matter?