Sloppy Steering Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
when you turn the the wheel when going around a curve ... does the wheel come back to center on its own ?

That is what you want . If you have to turn it by hand back to center after a turn it is to tight

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
I think i got mine a little too tight then, it wont hurt it test driving it will it?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
No It wont , thats how you adjust it .. drive , tweak , drive

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Now the wheel comes back on its own but not all the way center, would that be the steering box just worn out or is it too loose now?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
You will never get it perfect , but if it comes back close to center then you are fine

Reaction score
Ram Year
'01 Ram
Engine
i'm going to have to try this. my steering has a lot of play in it.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Did this on my 99 the other day. The truck handles alot better and its not like im driving a boat down the road and im not fighting with the steering wheel to keep the truck on the road. Made a very noticeable difference in handling!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Confirmed worked on my Durango too it is 1st gen thanks for the tip. It used to be a wondering bizzo but now it is pretty good.

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
There is a bolt in it that tightens down causing fluid to be tighter per say . And that means stiffer on the wheel .

Not entirely true ;)

These are Saginaw steering boxes, designed in the 60s. What you're actually doing is adjusting the backlash (i.e. tooth clearance); much like setting up a differential gear assembly (Ring/Pinion) after a rebuild/replace/whatever.

The plate under this nut you're loosening is called a 'top plate adjuster.' This nut determines the backlash between the power piston teeth (what the steering column/shaft connects to) and the sector shaft teeth (what the pitman arm connects to), and thus, the return to center characteristics of the steering. By adjusting this, you will be able to get back most of the stock characteristics of the steering. Improperly adjusted, you risk the chance of binding/disengagement of the teeth due to improper backlash.

It's DEFINITELY not something to take lightly, as it is the steering that we're dealing with, here. ;)

Basically, the sector shaft has tapered teeth (3); wide at the top (closest to the adjuster nut) and narrow at the bottom (closes to the pitman arm.) The power piston teeth are not tapered, but are widely spaced.

When you adjust the allen at the top of the box, you're moving the sector shaft up and/or down, changing the clearances of the tooth mesh, or backlash.
  • Too far down, or tight, and you force the sector shaft teeth to power piston teeth, causing binding to occur. This results in an oddly tight steering response, binding, lack of RTC (return to center), and possible breakage of steering components within the box.
  • Too far up, or loose, and you increase the sloppiness in steering response, as well as risk possible disengagement of the steering teeth, resulting in no steering control.
These are extreme cases, but I hope it gives you a little more insight as to exactly what you're adjusting..

Since we all love pictures...

The Power Piston gear teeth:
attachment.php

The Sector Shaft teeth (notice the tapering) :
attachment.php

saginaw1.jpg

sector_shaft.jpg

Last edited:

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
thank you.

very well explained.

and I still have yet to do it...

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
thank you.

very well explained.

and I still have yet to do it...

You're welcome. If nothing else, maybe those that are doing the adjustment will have, at the very least, some inkling as to what they're "adjusting", even if they can't (or haven't) physically see the internal workings.

don't worry.. mine needs adjusted, and I haven't done this yet, either...

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I just got done doing a power steering box on a 1972 Ford pickup... Needless to say its using a Dodge Sagnaw steering box nowand be completely re-gutted...

Now what Rogan saying it very true. The sector adjustment you have to careful with or you'll put more stress on the the output shaft bearings.

That's one of my thing I got to go back and do is re-ajust the box a bit for pre-load on the input bearing ans the sector adjustment.

What I hope you never have to deal with is reloading all 22 BB's back in around the worm gear inside the rack...

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I hope steering in newer trucks is not like this because these boxes are crap. Everyone I have ever driven has started to do this. Some worse than others.

$miley

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I hope steering in newer trucks is not like this because these boxes are crap. Everyone I have ever driven has started to do this. Some worse than others.

$miley

Only reason you say that is because the steering box isn't design for leveraging those large tires. Never had a steering box problem yet with either truck using 235's...

Always remember you mods have a direct impact on everything around it. So like oversize tires will have a direct impact on the steering box...

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
My .10...

Caution should be exercised in doing this adjustment. I have over done it, and cracked the steering box because I put a bind on the gears.
I've also seen a pic on another forum where over tightening caused severe wear on the power piston teeth, resulting in a premature box replacement.
The "backlash adjustment" is something you really shouldn't have to mess with once the box is factory set. I suspect if there if an adjustment needed, there's another problem that needs to be addressed, like worn end bushings.
Or worn components elsewhere that are all subject to high load stress.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Only reason you say that is because the steering box isn't design for leveraging those large tires. Never had a steering box problem yet with either truck using 235's...

Always remember you mods have a direct impact on everything around it. So like oversize tires will have a direct impact on the steering box...

Your assumption is WRONG on this one sir.

My Durango which has the issue has factory size tires and always has I know all the others on the list with exceptions of my '09 also had factory size which on some of these was a 265 anyway.

It is a weak point because of it's design plain and simple.

So the only reason I say this is not what you think it is because of experience with this style. My family and I nearly only drive Dodge so I have seen it on nearly all our 2nd gens including my Durango that is a 99. Looking at list it is leading me to believe it is an age thing more than a miles thing as all issues occurred on 2nd gen years.
Sum
'72 - Not sure
'86 Ramcharger - some play not bad
'90 Ramcharger - some play not bad with squeel
'95 - Didn't have issue
'98 Red - Did have issue
'98 Blue - Did have issue
'99 Durango - Does have issue (still own it)
'02 Durango - Didn't have issue
'04 Ram - Whole rack and pinion was issue
'07 Ram - No issue
'09 White - No issue
'09 Black - No issue