Where can I get gray paint?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

night hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just bought a 2005 ram 1500 its gray but I would like to paint all the chrome on it the same shade of gray

Any ideas of what type of paint to use or how to do it?!?!

AJMAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if your gonna color match id bring it to a paint shop.

Last edited:

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just bought a 2005 ram 1500 its gray but I would like to paint all the chrome on it the same shade of gray

Any ideas of what type of paint to use or how to do it?!?!

Any bodayshop, bodyshop supply, and even the dealer.

For small jobs, Dupli-Color sells rattle cans that match your paint code. DO YOU KNOW UR CODE?

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
From what I'm hearing from you, save up some cash and have it done professionally. You'll be more happy with it being done right then attempting it yourself. Just my .02 cents

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If yours is the mineral grey like in my sig then the paint code is PDM
if your looking for cheap paint duplicolor sells a Grey in there perfect match paint that is the grey from second gens and is extremely close to PDM. I know a guy who has color matched his megas cowl,grille, mirrors and handles with it and it matches really well. I can get you pictures if you would like to see it

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If yours is the mineral grey like in my sig then the paint code is PDM
if your looking for cheap paint duplicolor sells a Grey in there perfect match paint that is the grey from second gens and is extremely close to PDM. I know a guy who has color matched his megas cowl,grille, mirrors and handles with it and it matches really well. I can get you pictures if you would like to see it

**** I would like to see'em!

How long ago did he spray'em and how are they holding up?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The duplicolor paint code is bcc0331 I'll be back in a second with pictures
Painted cowl
7eafef2a.jpg
cc197548.jpg
Fog light bucket
1cb94f1d.jpg
Color matched headlight with VHT reflectors
85fa846d.jpg
4addb889.jpg
Grille
33660773.jpg
926770b7.jpg

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It's been awhile since he did his cowl and other trim maybe two months since his grille
He's very pleased with the way it all came out and the way it's holding up. If doing trim like this prep I huge and adhesion promoter is a must

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thats awesome man. Im going to look into that.

Lord knows I like cheap mods...

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ive seen the paint before and passed on it cause it was the older paint codes, I was pretty excited when he tried it out
I wanna say its $8 a can from advanced auto, im not really sure of other places that sell duplicolor products

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i think the hardest part would probably be the prep to get the paint to adhere properly to the chrome on the bumpers

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
And you might be in luck PS2 Bright Silver metallic BCC0410
Yeah, I know they have it. Im almost tempted to go out and get some cans today, lol.

i think the hardest part would probably be the prep to get the paint to adhere properly to the chrome on the bumpers

Nawh, I wouldnt do the bumper. But I do wanna color match the grill, rear tailgate handle, and the rear badge.

Theres a really good painter on another forum that gave me this info a while back.

08QuadCTD said:
With rattle cans it's going to be very important that you prep the grill.

I've painted a few with rattle cans and have held up pretty well.

If you can get your hands on red scotch pads from a auto parts store or a paint supply store this will be much easier to use than sand paper. It gets in the tighter spaces.

I would wash the grill first with Dawn dish soap. Sud that thing up. dry it off, and then sand it with the red scotch pad. If you can't used 400 grit sand paper. Get the chrome to look like stainless steel. DO NOT SAND THROUGH the chrome. There is a layer of copper and it will make you throw your grill away. Once you have the grill all sanded. Wash it twice with Dawn. If you want, 2-4 times. Let dry each time. Try not to actually touch the grill from this point on. Let it air dry..

Then take a good primer and put on 2 very light coats. Let that dry a good hour. Then apply your color coats. Again VERY LIGHT COATS. Don't worry how it looks at this point. Do 3-4 coats. The last coat put on thicker and a good wet shiny coat. Let that dry at least a couple hours. Those first light coats - let it dry 15 mins before you do another coat..

If you did it right you can even sand it with 800 lightly and use a rubbing compound to bring back a shine!

Take pics and post it up when you do it. Any other questions let me know

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
didnt think of it before
IMAG0129.jpg

Im suprised he didnt mention anything about adhesion promoter or clear coat

Last edited:

Big Boi

Reaction score