VP44 stock replacement or VP44 hotrod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hubert3317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I was wondering if i should put a vp44 hotrod pump or just replace me worn out pump with a stock so pump and replace the injectors with 100 hp injectors?

XtremeDiesel

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
It all depends on what you want to do with the truck. There is guys that make power with standard output VP44's. However, if yours is out now it might be a good time to upgrade. Whatever you do make sure you have an adequate lift pump to supply pressure to your new VP44.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Make every repair a upgrade

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I would suggest the SO pump (stock), then add a Edge Juice/Quadzilla Adrenaline, and then some 50 HP injectors and you'll see a good amount of power. Very controllable and actually really good for MPG's.

XtremeDiesel

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I would suggest the SO pump (stock), then add a Edge Juice/Quadzilla Adrenaline, and then some 50 HP injectors and you'll see a good amount of power. Very controllable and actually really good for MPG's.

This is also a good plan. Don't forget about a lift pump upgrade!

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
That's what I have above. Works great

OP
OP
H

hubert3317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Thank-you so much. I think i will go with the injectors and new pump/edge. It sounds like a really great combo. I put a fass dbrp 02 on it will that be enough pump?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I have read some negative feedback on the FASS . Most guys (myself included ) love the raptor 150 or the Air Dog . Just remember to get the 1/2 inch big line kit with it .

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
If I was to do a FASS I would go platinum... But not a DDRP...

AirDog/Raptor is fine too but be aware of the pre-assembled plumbing doesn't allow for custom installing like the FASS system do...

Like I was lucky back in the old school dayz AirDog had a kill bracket and plumbing kit...

Tucked right behing the transfer case... Guard by the skid plate and can't be hit by road debris... Something the new AirDog and Raptor's can't do...
airdog150-installed.jpg

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Love that set up ^

XtremeDiesel

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
If I was to do a FASS I would go platinum... But not a DDRP...

AirDog/Raptor is fine too but be aware of the pre-assembled plumbing doesn't allow for custom installing like the FASS system do...

Like I was lucky back in the old school dayz AirDog had a kill bracket and plumbing kit...

Tucked right behing the transfer case... Guard by the skid plate and can't be hit by road debris... Something the new AirDog and Raptor's can't do...
airdog150-installed.jpg

I had that same setup on my truck too. Liked that bracket quite a bit especially with the filters being covered by the skid plate. I had to drop the skid plate to change the filters but it was well worth it for the added protection. The new kits come with barbed fittings so you can cut the lines to length. The new hoses do have pre-made ends on them but with the length of them you will still have some adjustability in mounting options. I can't say we've ever ran into an issue with someone not having enough hose.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
I had that same setup on my truck too. Liked that bracket quite a bit especially with the filters being covered by the skid plate. I had to drop the skid plate to change the filters but it was well worth it for the added protection. The new kits come with barbed fittings so you can cut the lines to length. The new hoses do have pre-made ends on them but with the length of them you will still have some adjustability in mounting options. I can't say we've ever ran into an issue with someone not having enough hose.

I can... Up here in Idaho most all truck are used offroad conditions I did a install with a Airdog Raptor 100 on a ranchers truck... Let's say I was highly upset and pi$$ because whe ended up chopping up the entire hose kit and spending more on fitting and hose clamps to locate the pump where his old carter was on the frame rail plus include the pre-filter kit that was before it (farm fuel are usually very dirty fuels). Needless to say I didn't make any money that day...

Then after having a long conversation with another vendor I did find out there is a vendor that will sell a different plumbing kit with the pump so you can cut the hose to you application and use the old school JIC push loc fitting again... :naughty:

Out here you can't use the street/strip design at all being what our trucks have to do...

2rfzt45.jpg

qrnjg9.jpg

XtremeDiesel

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I can... Up here in Idaho most all truck are used offroad conditions I did a install with a Airdog Raptor 100 on a ranchers truck... Let's say I was highly upset and pi$$ because whe ended up chopping up the entire hose kit and spending more on fitting and hose clamps to locate the pump where his old carter was on the frame rail plus include the pre-filter kit that was before it (farm fuel are usually very dirty fuels). Needless to say I didn't make any money that day...

Then after having a long conversation with another vendor I did find out there is a vendor that will sell a different plumbing kit with the pump so you can cut the hose to you application and use the old school JIC push loc fitting again... :naughty:

Out here you can't use the street/strip design at all being what our trucks have to do...

2rfzt45.jpg

qrnjg9.jpg

Very understandable. I must say, I have an appreciation for all the pictures you post. Looks very peaceful on those mountains. I don't think I could handle that -2 degree weather though.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Michael cant either , LOL he tows that camper down to Florida in the winter .

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
Mike is just a picture ***** :)

why the suggestion of the SO to replace an HO pump (if so equipped)?

Actually I suggest against it... swapping SO and HO pumps... But prefer a stock VP44 over any hotrod or performance pump.

... yes I'm a picture *****... Better than being post *****... :Wedgie:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio