Spark Plug Change DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtoscano19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just reached 60,000 miles and I've never changed them out, and i stopped at a firestone shop and asked them to pull one out to see how bad they were.. they actually looked pretty good. Then I asked them how much they would charge me to change them and they gave me this BS! $550 to change them out! :flipthebird: I was like nah I'll try it myself

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It is worth $100 but that's it do it yourself for less than $60.

$miley on Verizon TAB

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was quoted approx $180 to do the plugs in my 02 4.7 I thought that seemed a bit high for only 8 plugs. I wouldn't expect this to take more than an hour for dealer.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just reached 60,000 miles and I've never changed them out, and i stopped at a firestone shop and asked them to pull one out to see how bad they were.. they actually looked pretty good. Then I asked them how much they would charge me to change them and they gave me this BS! $550 to change them out! :flipthebird: I was like nah I'll try it myself

Omg that is ridiculous!!
It seriously isn't that hard I changed mine in a little over an hour lol the hardest part is leaning over for that long and get antiseize!!!

[ tapatalkin ]

Last edited:

jtoscano19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
another question..it might sound stupid but here it is...right after I change them is there like a break in period or can I drive it like I stole it?

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Lol its cool ... no break in drive it however you want

[ tapatalkin ]

electriccity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The labor charge on a plug change is 2.5 hrs. At my labor rate its 200 bucks...
Now did it take me 2.5 hrs to change my plugs...well no...but Im what you would call an expert. lmao.

I think the toughest thing with the whole job is how tall the rams nose is...Itd be easier if i had taken the front wheels off and lowered the truck on the lift. Ill try that next time.

mia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need Help with spark plugs

Well I was on the fence about changing them and holy crap I have had some problems. Yes I am a female and I cant justify paying over 300 for someone else to do it. I researched every video and it is all very informational. THe problem I am having however is I cant get the damn spark plugs out.
Please Help

OK guys, here it is. A DIY on how to change the spark plugs in your 3rd Gen Hemi Ram.

What you will need:
16 New Spark Plugs (preferably copper)
Basic Ratchet set
A few different sized extensions
Spark Plug Socket
Anti Seize

To start, park your truck, let it cool off, and open the hood.

IMG_1202.jpg

Note: Under my hood is dirty, dont let yours start looking like this.

Next, take off your intake, and disconnect your battery.

IMG_1203.jpg

I like to start on the passenger side plugs first, because they are easier. Locate your first coil on the passenger side, and remove the 2 bolts holding it in place with a 10mm socket.

IMG_1205.jpg

then simply pull out the coil and also the plug boot for the plug next to it. (note, i have shorty wires, so mine might look different than yours, the process is still the same though)

IMG_1206.jpg

Now, attach your plug socket to an adequate length extension, and remove the plugs.

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

Now that you have the first two plugs removed, grab your 2 new plugs, properly gap them with a gapping tool, apply a little antiseize to the threads, and put them in in the exact opposite as you took the old ones out. once the plug is snug, tighten it down approximately 1/6 of a turn. replace the coil, and tighten that back down.

IMG_1212.jpg

Now, move on, and do the same exact thing you just did to all the rest of the plugs.

IMG_1213.jpg

Once you get to the hard to reach plugs, you will no longer be able to use your 1 long extension. Instead, use several smaller extensions, and place them into the hole one piece at a time.

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

Now for the last 2 pairs of plugs, the dreaded 4 under the brake booster. OH NO! Actually, its no big deal. Just take off both coils, and the coil next to them. Be sure to keep them in order and dont mix those 3 up. Then just slip your tools one piece at a time into the spark plug hole. Socket first, then a medium length extension, then your ratchet. Loosen the plug, remove the ratchet, pull up until you can get a finger on the socket, remove the extension, then pull the socket with plug attached out of the hole. No big deal.

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

In the above pictures, you can see that I have a full sized 3/8" ratchet under the brake booster. I have plenty of room to work, and to turn the ratchet. Those last 4 plugs may look like a daunting task, but as long as you put one piece in at a time, its a piece of cake.

Total time for me to complete the entire plug change was under 2 hours.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Great writeup I think it gets easier every time too as this was my second time first was on Durango but same engine idea.

$miley

Rambug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone have a pic with the spark plug wire numbering information? my tags i made came off when i was cleaning. and i need to get the wires on correctly.

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look on your intake manifold. Beside the throttle body the numbers are right there in the molding.

Sent from my VS920 4G

Rambug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks...I ended up finally finding the service manuals. Maybe a moderator could Sticky the link to the service manuals :)

Gomango5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 05 5.7 Daytona Ram...
I'm wanting to replace my plugs and wires.. I cannot find a parts store that carries the wires for the coil packs themselves. The parts store can sell me the spark plug wires and they also sell replacement boots for the coil packs. Whats the point of replacing that boot if your not replacing the whole wire?? Has anyone had issues finding the wires for the packs too??

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I were you I would just get the Taylor thunder wires. They eliminate the wires that run across the motor. I have them and in the pics above they are used. But yes you will need the boots for the bottom if the coils and wires for the top of the coils.

Sent from my VS920 4G

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Why change wires unless they are bad? Aftermarket ones are more likely to have issue. Mopar wires are all I would run personally. Just do plugs and leave coils and wires for a if needed basis. IMO that is the best thing to do.

$miley

Gomango5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why change wires unless they are bad? Aftermarket ones are more likely to have issue. Mopar wires are all I would run personally. Just do plugs and leave coils and wires for a if needed basis. IMO that is the best thing to do.

$miley

Well it's throwing p0300 and 0305. So, I figured I'd swap out everything.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well that makes some sense.

$miley

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It's a good idea to get a blow gun and blow some air on/around the plugs to get all the dirt/debris out and prevent that from falling in your engine.