Pulling to the right and squirrely on the Hwy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

380tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quad Cab Sport
Engine
Hello all! I have a 2002 1500 Sport 5.9 All stock.
Problem I am having is my truck pulls to the right and it is pretty squirrely on the Hwy when I am on a curve turning to the right or left and hit any kind of little bump or surface change the front seems to lose traction and then the rear and the whole truck gets squirrely (kinda whips around)
This is especially concerning while towing my Travel Trailer.
Any ideas you guys have? Anybody seen/experienced this before? I am going to check my ball joints this weekend and possibly replace the shocks?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When is the last time you had an alignment done? Sounds like the alignment is off, to me.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
When is the last time you had an alignment done? Sounds like the alignment is off, to me.

yeah that step one. Take a good look at your tires and look for odd wear patters. The bad alignment may have messed up your tires. Like you said I would also check ball joints and really any front end joints of any kinda including the TREs. When was the last time the tires had been rotated?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Get the front end checked out, sounds like its worn out

OP
OP

380tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quad Cab Sport
Engine
Not sure when the alignment was done last? I just bought this truck a few months ago so not sure what the previous owner did? I guess I will go for an alignment after inspecting the ball joints/tie rods as to not pay twice if I have to relace anything?
Tires are wearing as true as can be. No uneven wear or cupping at all. I have not rotated the tires yet. I will do that this weekend while inspecting the front end.
I did notice a little shimmy in the steering wheel yesterday though. If Im not mistaken that could point toward a tie rod?
Thanks for the input guys. I will start digging into this over the weekend and post results.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It could also be a weight missing on one of the front wheels, but an alignment should help for sure... You can check your tie rods and ball joints and see if the rubber is cracked, being an 02 those could need replacing as well..

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
yep check the hub as well as the track bar. Get the front wheels in the air and try and move the tire/wheel in and out to check for play.