Shut engine off at stop lights....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it bad to shut your engine off at stop lights that take a long time. Sometimes I do it on my way to school when I get stuck in traffic at a long stop light or waiting for a train to pass, just trying to save on gas. just wondering what your thoughts are, or if it has any negative effects on the engine...

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
no need, burn up starter faster than what you waste in gas............

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I can't remember where I saw it, but somewhere I read that if you are going to be stopped for longer than 30 seconds you could turn off the engine because it will use more gas than cranking the truck back up.

Actually I found this by Googling it, but it's not where I read it originally. And that is from California so take that for what you will. :)

I do agree with Graygoose...the wear and tear on other components will likely cost you more in the long run than the gas does now.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did that once at a red light in like the middle of nowhere that felt like it took 5 minutes to turn green cause I was low on fuel and didn't want to run the red and have a cop come out from nowhere. Not sure what damage it did since it was only once

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
I do it all the time. Mainly in traffic. Not at red lights

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've always heard you waste more starting it back up versus idling, but I'm too scared to kill it... I'd be afraid it wouldn't restart lol

[tapatalkin]

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Only time I have turned mine off was in a traffic jam that we were parked basically.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've done it a few times in mine but that was stuck waiting on a train for a good 15-20 minutes

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually I found this by Googling it, but it's not where I read it originally. And that is from California so take that for what you will. :)

I do agree with Graygoose...the wear and tear on other components will likely cost you more in the long run than the gas does now.
I remember seeing that page once a while back... it says that restarting has little impact on components but im not sure how accurate that is.

I've always heard you waste more starting it back up versus idling, but I'm too scared to kill it... I'd be afraid it wouldn't restart lol
[tapatalkin]
lol im sometimes afraid about that too... i think it would only waste more gas starting it back up if you have a carb, at least thats what ive heard.

I just hate when i get stopped at a red light i know is long or get stopped waiting for a train(i cross 2 railroads on the way to school and always manage to get stopped at least once a week)

Grubrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've always heard you waste more starting it back up versus idling,....

[tapatalkin]

Not true.

With today's technology in cars, you waste very little fuel during the start up process.

Its not like the cars of yesteryear where you almost always lost a good amount of fuel during the star up due to those guzzling carbs. Today's fuel injected vehicle are nothing of the sort.

I live by the 30 second rule: if I am idling more than 30secs then I'm shutting down my engine.

Be warned though.... In many states, it's illegal to shut off your engine while in traffic.

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live by the 30 second rule: if I am idling more than 30secs then I'm shutting down my engine.

Be warned though.... In many states, it's illegal to shut off your engine while in traffic.

good rule, and ya i kinda thought it might be illegal, just gotta be careful

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plato45