Ok gents new problem time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
98 CTD 12 Valve- Half the valves, twice the fun
Ok sorting out all the bugs, and this one popped up.
Havent been running the AC much lately (today was the first time Ive really needed it, 88 with 86% humidity), and I noticed it idles rough as crap, almost lopes with the AC turned on. The truck actually stalled out in reverse as I was idling into a parking space tonight. This really bugs the crap out of me, a cummins stalling at idle???? WTF???? I can sit at a red light and hear the truck loping (or what I would call loping, kind of like an old big block with a stick cam at idle) watching the tach Im seeing it go up and down in small increments, but you can def hear it.

Oh and it does the same thing first thing in the mornings when I go to start it, doesnt matter if the truck is hot or cold. If I havent ran it in a couple hours does the same thing, idles rough as heck then smooths out, with AC it doesnt smooth out at all.
Is my idle set to low???
:badger_1:

EDIT- Any of you fellow smoke blowers bless me with your god like knowledge of the beast thou art cummins.

Last edited:

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Is this just a recent occurrence? And it's only when the AC is on from what I understand right?

Honestly, I have no idea because of the AC thing, because I had something similar a while back happen and I found it to be just some bad fuel, so I double loaded it with Diesel Kleen and changed the fuel filter when the tank was empty again.

OP
OP
V

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
98 CTD 12 Valve- Half the valves, twice the fun
PROBLEM SOLVED! My low idle set screw on the back of the pump was almost bottomed out. Should have realized the problem earlier, as my idle was barely over 600 rpm. adjusted it today to where she sounds right, shes a bit high right now, but Ill fine tune it in later this week lol. The procedure is located here
Ram Diesel Problems

Special thanks to the sticky over at the cummins forum, sorry, but as this was found off of their site I felt it necessary to give credit where credit is due. thanks for the info USMC1188, it didnt help this time, but knowledge might come in handy in the future.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Glad to hear you solved it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members