Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I haven't gotten to my first oil change on the Ram yet. On my 08 Dakota, I used to use Royal Purple. It's expensive, but after 85000 miles of hard towing that should have been done by a Ram, I wouldn't have hesitated towing a huge load with the Dakota cross country. That motor felt brand new the entire 4 years I had it.

I've seen this discussion on other forums and I'll be paying close attention to the posts from people who know more about this. Great question. My opinion is for Royal Purple.

BlueRamMan

Now RedRamMan
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use Mobil 1. Had a special with filter a while back at AZ. My oil change signal dinged at 3800 and a round trip to and from SC from TX and it just went off at 7400 and a one way trip to KY from TX. I also do a lot of 55+ mph driving everyday

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
We run Amsoil XL in our vehicles. I changed my oil on this truck at 1500 miles, then again at about 3200 miles using Castrol conventional. Than at a little over 5000 miles I went to Amsoil. Royal Purple is a great oil as well, I just cannot get it locally as easily as Amsoil, so that's why I run it. Otherwise I would probably run RP. I bought my 07 used with 82,000 miles and it had RP in it and I switched it to Amsoil because it was easy to get. Have never had any issues with it. It now has 155,000 HARD miles on it. I change my oil at 5000 miles because I idle alot and am in really dusty conditions at work. Otherwise u can go much longer between changes.

OP
OP
M

mcclintock89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think i've used just about every oil under the sun to be honest. I always changed it up on my older vehicles, but then again my other cars always had 50k plus on them already so it was worth experimenting. AMSOIL is a lot harder for me to get cause I have to order it and what not. RP is just a quick trip to just about any auto parts store and walmart believe it or not.

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I think i've used just about every oil under the sun to be honest. I always changed it up on my older vehicles, but then again my other cars always had 50k plus on them already so it was worth experimenting. AMSOIL is a lot harder for me to get cause I have to order it and what not. RP is just a quick trip to just about any auto parts store and walmart believe it or not.

Yeah, it's hard to find Amsoil in my area too. RP just started to become much more available within the last couple years. Used to be just one or two (Checker) Orielly's Autoparts had them. Now Autozone has RP too.

OP
OP
M

mcclintock89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, it's hard to find Amsoil in my area too. RP just started to become much more available within the last couple years. Used to be just one or two (Checker) Orielly's Autoparts had them. Now Autozone has RP too.

I know what you mean on that, I still remember the day I was shocked to find RP at WalMart, and you know it's not their value jug of whatever in a brandname box cause it's still almost $10 bucks a quart, as a matter of fact I think it's more expensive at walmart than say autozone, napa, or oreillys.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I use M1 extended 15,000 mile formula in my truck and my G8, but change it around 7500 miles. 98% of my miles are highway though.

I have 94,000 trouble free miles on my F150 and it's had M1 since new other than the standard break-in with Dino.

Chris

Yo Nadz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
How many miles are you guys going between oil changes on fully synthetic? About to do my first oil change, and wanna know what kinda life I should get outta it.

Normal daily driver on 35s. 50/50 highway/city.

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am just about to order RP on the internet. It is not available around me so I will be ordering it with a RP filter as well. Looking forward to my first oil change in a couple weeks. I only had the truck for 2 months so I never needed to do one yet