Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a_guerrajr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
wasn't mobil 1 downgraded in the class of full syn oils? i remeber reading something about it a few years back.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
My oil life indicator in my new '13 ram shows half life left and I have 3500 miles... Do you guys trust those things or would your stick with every 3000 mile oil changes?

3000 miles? Conventional oil unless a very dirty area or you pull a lot, can go 5000 miles.

I've never gone by the computer. I take a sharpie and write the mileage that I want to change the oil at on the drivers upper corner of the windshield and just keep an eye on it. I do all my own oil changes.

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
wasn't mobil 1 downgraded in the class of full syn oils? i remeber reading something about it a few years back.

It wasn't downgraded! They changed it to a high grade Dino with many synthetic stabilizers in it. Even the 15,000 mile extended is Dino. Redline and amsoil are true synthetics.

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am going to try RP on my next change, getting that tick in it and hope this will help. I know I have a hard time getting away from the change every 3000 miles, dad drove that into my head when i was young. I know a few technicians up here that swear to change it every 3-5k miles just because of the huge temp swings we have in ND.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
On that list there is no true synthetic, I use Redline a true Group 5 oil, which means a true synthetic base. Most of the oils on that list use ground oil and they remove impurities and call it synthetic. They are very good quality compared to other oils, but they are not synthetic. Amsoil is close a guess the current knowledge is they are a group 4 oil. Mobil One had gone switched groups since it's inception, I believe it was group 3 and group 4 from time to time. Generally speaking I think it is the best OTC synthetic brand, and I have used it for years in various vehicles, but my Hemi only drinks redline, a true synthetic based synthetic oil.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My oil life indicator in my new '13 ram shows half life left and I have 3500 miles... Do you guys trust those things or would your stick with every 3000 mile oil changes?

The indicator is amazing trust it. GM has had these a long time and they are very good. In the older 4th gens the light just goes on after about 3000 miles and it is not using algorithm like the new ones do to calculate oil life. 3000 mile oil changes even with conventional is a waste of money 99% of the time. I run Amsoil if I can but can't always get it in timely manner. It is available at Fleet Farm where I live but I want 0W-20 which they don't stock.

$miley

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Anyone want to educate yourself on grouping of synthetic oils read here. Different oils are categorized in-groups by the type of base stock they are made from.

The hard part is finding information on where your oil falls. Nobody in the industry wants to be specific. However, on Bobstheoilguy many guys run oil analysis and have found some information on grouping. Anyone who wants to protect their truck and interested in extended oil change intervals, should be using synthetic whether it is group 3,4 or 5 (Redline)

When choosing the "best" synthetic, it is a choice between group 4 or PAO's or group 5 Esters. Here is all you need to know about the two.

Esters for Lubrication

The bottom line is these are the best, but is it necessary to go over board with lubrication for a gas engine? That is every persons personal choice, I say if you change your oil every 3k miles you should just buy the cheap stuff. If you go 10k plus on oil changes you have to be crazy not to use either group 4 Amsoil & Royal Purple or group 5 Redline.

Spread the word.

Here is the reason I stop using Mobil One, they simply will not answer the question if they are group 3 or group 4. From Mobil One website. I have no doubt that Mobil One is high quality, but I doubt it is group 4 anymore, if it was they would proudly say so, lol!!! I wouldn't hold it against them, they all do it except the very specialized oil companies like Amsoil, Redline, and a couple others.

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Just waiting to Hit the 20K Kilometers (12 K Miles) and then the Jeep will be broke in enough to start using Synthetic.

In my Magnum I currently have Castrol and it seems to tick more than when I had Mobil one in there. Still up in the Air wether to switch to Royal Purple or Lucas. I change the Oil once a year and only drive about 6 K Miles.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to run Mobil 1 until they kept fu#king around with the formulation and there were all the controversies about it being modified dino oil.
RP was good, but more expensive and no better than any other.
^Same as Castrol syntec and I got sick of trying to grab it on sale.
So Amsoil XL it is, every 5,000Km on schedule. Cheap insurance; just ask my bagged to hell 255,000Km 2.0 Nissan engine which runs like the day I picked it up ordered from the factory.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Damn you and your km I always have to calculate ay. So the Nissan has 158449.654 miles and you change your oil at just over 3000 miles which to me sounds like you are wasting money :) Amsoil XL is rated for 10000mi I would go at least 5000mi to make it worth the cost.

Gtsum27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
New to hemi and dealer does all my oil changes free of charge for life...I wonder what they will be using?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
In case you guys missed it from other oil thread. Just an additional oil product you can use if you want less friction on your engine. I been using BG MOA for a while now even though I run synthetic. Sometimes I add it to the fill, and other times I add it towards the end of an oil change. It refreshes your additive package by increasing the molly and I believe it is a friction modifier and cleaner.

BG MOA makes bearing seize proof

MOA treated engine running when dropping the oil pan