How to install Vararam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Vararam Air Grabber™ Ram Air Induction System for Dodge 2009-2012 Hemi Powered Trucks

Items needed for installation: •1. Flathead screwdriver/ Long reach •2. Box knife (if you choose to cut the shroud versus removal) •3. 10mm socket/ratchet •4. Approximately 15 minutes of time

Important : Please completely read through all the instructions first before starting the installation of this product. If at any point you are uncomfortable attempting this installation on your own, please refer the installation to a qualified service technician. Please email our technical staff at [email protected] with any questions.

Step ONE: Remove the OEM air temp sensor by squeezing and pulling on the wiring harness.

STEP TWO: Twist off the oil cap- This will allow you to remove the OEM engine cover. Simply lift up and the cover will come off. Don’t forget to put the oil cap back on after removing the cover.

STEP THREE: Remove OEM intake hose using flat head screwdriver

STEP FOUR: Remove the OEM air box- just pull up this will release with a good strong pull straight up.

STEP FIVE: Remove the front shroud cover. Using your flat head , pry these round plastic push clips "UP". They will release with a stiff pull. Remove this OEM foam cover out of your way. (Optional) You may choose to cut out the center section at a later time , so that it may be reinstalled to give a more OEM look.

STEP SIX: Move the wiring harness in front of the horn- you will need to clip or pull the wire holders as well as remove the horn bracket screws (10MM) Once the harness is put in front of the horn you will re-attach the horn assembly. This frees up the restriction caused by the harness.

STEP SEVEN: Assembling the VR system. The easiest way to do this is to, attach the front wing to the upper plenum outside of the truck on a nice flat surface, like a kitchen table or workbench.

STEP EIGHT: Install the air temp sensor at this time, push and twist, You may need to use some lube like W/D You will need your 10mm socket wrench and a screwdriver Install the screws and lock nuts as shown here.

STEP NINE: You are now ready to place the system on the truck as one whole unit.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/47767895.png/

• STEP TEN: Remove the short 45 deg section of the PCV line, this will become your new PCV line. using this shorter end Simply reinstall this back on to the valve cover and push the chrome breather into the short 45 deg OEM hose, you can
rotate the hose in any position desired

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Re-Learn time - You should at some point disconnect the negative battery cable for two hours then reconnect it. This will allow the ECU to reset the fuel trims, now simply drive normal for about 30 miles or so. This will allow the long term fuel trims to set in. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]F.A.Q. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]1. How often do I need to clean the airfilter? [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]About every 6-10,000 miles depending on the driving conditions[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]2. Do I need to worry about high water? [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Not unless you drive in water that is 3ft or deeper. There are drains that will drain off excess water and moisture. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]3. Do I need to remove the system to put oil in? [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]NO, simply use a funnel when putting oil. This will keep you from possibly [/FONT][/FONT]making a mess when pouring.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
very cool info

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Look good now do they work this might be one of my mod in the near future?

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
thanks.
was told by vararam today that they dont include instructions because they are available on 2 different dodge ram websites.
too bad i dont have a f*%@#@( laptop to carry it down to my truck so i can look at the pics while i do the install.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
thanks.
was told by vararam today that they dont include instructions because they are available on 2 different dodge ram websites.
too bad i dont have a f*%@#@( laptop to carry it down to my truck so i can look at the pics while i do the install.

now thats service with a smile there!

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
those instructions leave some room for alot of error.
especially if you arent mechanically inclined (**hint hint. myself included).
took about 1hr but got it installed.
you have to remove the rubber grommet for the temp sensor, and reinstall on the red rubber boot. took me awhile to figure that out. the sensor fit good enough in the silicone boot without the grommet. but eventually, i decided i needed to put it in.

and the flat piece that is held onto the bigger section of airbox. the instruction are NOT clear about how to attach it. you can argue there are only 2 ways to get the piece to attach, and i took the time to check both ways. but eventually figured out exactly how the piece was meant to fit. but some clearer pics would definitely help out us dummies that are attempting to be shadetree mechanics.

all in all, its in and done. now we see about the performance.
i went from stock to k&n (2months) to vararam. hope it lives up to the hype.

Krypt0n0tic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where did u by it? Vararam website only shows 2002-2007 model. And how much is it?

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Where did u by it? Vararam website only shows 2002-2007 model. And how much is it?

i bought it directly from vararam. called them when it was released for the 4th gen's.
3rd strike is going to carry them. according to duane, it will be available sometime in january.
i paid $349 shipped. it was an introductory price with free shipping.

3rd strike had them listed for $299+shipping. might want to contact duane and see if anything is set in stone about the price and availability.

and its definitely quieter than my k&n CAI. by a mile.

jefferson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got a vararam here from a local guy, brand new $200. woo hoo

WhiteRamm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This might be a dumb question but does Vararam make an Air Grabber for the 4th gen rams with a filter that you do not need to oil?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
This might be a dumb question but does Vararam make an Air Grabber for the 4th gen rams with a filter that you do not need to oil?

They only offer it with the oiled filter. I am not sure if anyone makes a dry filter in that size. I need to call Vararam today anyways, so I will ask about this.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
OK, they said they dont know of any aftermarket dry filters, but you can always run the disposable paper filter from the old Hemi. That old filter is what they designed this intake around.

Me personally, I would stick to the oiled one though. It only takes 2 minutes to remove this filter, so cleaning it isnt much hassle.

WhiteRamm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for checking. I'm debating on looking into a VR Air Grabber sometime in the near future.

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My question the chrome breather, does that come with the kit or is it necessary veto add? That would seem that the could effect the emmision? Joe