A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins, turbo
I need to recharge the A/C in my 92 W350 and finding that an r12 to r134 retrofit is a bit expensive and to order r12 from places like 3bay requires government papers, are there any other options?...Like buying a recharge can from a fellow "older" vehicle owner...any info will be greatly appreciated...

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF.

Unfortunately I think it'd be pretty hard to find someone with a 1st gen who has some laying around, and on eBay, you "MUST HAVE 609 CERT. OR STATE YOU BUYING FOR RESALE"

I'm not for sure, but you may have to do the conversion :-/

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Going through the AC system and converting it to R134a is a bit time consuming, but it is in no way impossible.

The fact that you need to recharge the system leads me to believe you have a leak somewhere. if it's in the compressor, that SUCKS. If it was just a joint, well, you are supposed to replace all those gasket / orings anywho.

I swapped over my '92 Dakota many years ago, took me the better part of a day, and worked flawlessly afterwards.

Just be sure to get pure R134a not this "Freeze" or other crap with sealants etc. Those gum up systems and lead to poor performance (contrary to what the bottle might say)

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
There are places who are certified to recharge R12 but it is also expensive
There isnt any way to do it yourself that I know of

BigH0ss

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm r-12 certified. But I'm sure you don't live down the street from me lol

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
I bit the bullet and did the R134 refit. Black truck in the summertime with 'iffy' power windows pretty much demanded it. :eek: