Class Action 6.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keep It Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins ISB 6.7 L
Does anyone know of a class action filed against Dodge and/or Cummins relating to the 6.7L Cummins diesel? Issues regarding too frequent oil change interval, increasing oil level in crankcase, EGR and DPF issues etc.? I didn't spend $40K to buy a 2012 Cummins engine that calls (as per EVIC) for an oil change every 1500 miles. Then after changing oil finding the oil level rising with lab sampling that indicates fuel contamination. Or, I spend my time and money to go for a highway ride for 45 minutes to passively regenerate a DPF filter. Finally, have a dealership snub it's nose at my reguest to address theses problems. These notions were NOT mentioned to me when I purchased the truck. Anyone follow or share my frustration here???

Thanks!

kcbigbadram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
havent had mine long enough to experience those things myself, but i have read plenty of people having close to same experience. it seems to happen with the trucks that arent getting worked hard.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
A lot of people have solved these issues by deleting these trucks. But the issues you mentioned are pretty much common knowledge about the 6.7's.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
Does anyone know of a class action filed against Dodge and/or Cummins relating to the 6.7L Cummins diesel? Issues regarding too frequent oil change interval, increasing oil level in crankcase, EGR and DPF issues etc.? I didn't spend $40K to buy a 2012 Cummins engine that calls (as per EVIC) for an oil change every 1500 miles. Then after changing oil finding the oil level rising with lab sampling that indicates fuel contamination. Or, I spend my time and money to go for a highway ride for 45 minutes to passively regenerate a DPF filter. Finally, have a dealership snub it's nose at my reguest to address theses problems. These notions were NOT mentioned to me when I purchased the truck. Anyone follow or share my frustration here???

Thanks!

If you bought it as a car to bomb around town then you are going to have issues. Any diesel with a DPF is going to experience the same problems under those driving conditions. Cummins may be a little worse but not much. Mine doesn't make extra oil and never tells me to drive to regen because mine sees highway. Nevertheless, its still going to get the DPF and EGR deleted.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
The oil level rising and fuel contamination really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the EGR or any of the emissions issues. That is your fuel injectors leaking... and if you don't have that issue resolved fairly quickly, you will have way more issues than you are dealing with now.

And where did you see 1500 mile oil changes?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The oil level rising due to fuel contamination comes from the regen process. Although you could obviously have other issues ( like you mebtion an injector) but its common for DPF/emission equipment intact trucks to make oil between changes. I personally have never had that problem, but then again I don't know what happened to my stock exhaust, it went missing shortly after I bought the truck.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Interesting, I still am not 100% sure how that would be possible, but then again, I have never had to deal with that issue, so I completely believe that it could happen.

Thanks for the info though

Ram725

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
My 2012 2500 wont be worked too hard. Just a daily driver. But I have a warranty...

Probably in a year or two I will be doing deletes.

Its common knowledge that diesels need extra work, maintenance, and cost more to maintain. No diesel is perfect or cheap to drive. They cost more. But they are worth it in my opinion. I went to a 1500 because I didnt need a diesel and because it would be cheaper to maintain. 8 months and 12k miles later and I am back in a Cummins

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Interesting, I still am not 100% sure how that would be possible, but then again, I have never had to deal with that issue, so I completely believe that it could happen.

Thanks for the info though

I haven't researched it enough to give a good answer, so I can only go on the posts that I have read...All I know is that fuel is injected on the exhaust stroke during regen. It looks like I may have some reading to do. I've never been concerned with the process, but now I'm curious.. I've just seen countless "Cummins making oil" posts... :)

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
I haven't researched it enough to give a good answer, so I can only go on the posts that I have read...All I know is that fuel is injected on the exhaust stroke during regen. It looks like I may have some reading to do. I've never been concerned with the process, but now I'm curious.. I've just seen countless "Cummins making oil" posts... :)

That's nuts! But thanks, please share what you find with that rest of us

OP
OP
K

Keep It Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins ISB 6.7 L
The oil level rising and fuel contamination really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the EGR or any of the emissions issues. That is your fuel injectors leaking... and if you don't have that issue resolved fairly quickly, you will have way more issues than you are dealing with now.

And where did you see 1500 mile oil changes?

I don't think you really understand the workings of the 6.7 engine. EGR and emissions issues play a HUGE role in oil contamination due to the DPF regeneration process.

My EVIC oil change light came on at approx. 1500 miles so I submitted an oil sample for analysis in an effort to extend oil change interval. Blackstone Lab indicated a greater than 3% dilution and suggested changing the oil.

Injectors checked out fine at the dealership (naturally).

Respectfully and thanks for your input!!

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I don't work for a dealer, although I work with and around almost every dealer in the metroplex. Why?

bitNine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If you are having a hard time getting your dealer to respond to these issues, follow the Chrysler dispute resolution process. If you still have not had any luck, it's time to find an attorney who is willing to represent you on contingency. I worked with Attorneys For Consumers in the past with another issue, and they didn't charge me a penny, and got the manufacturer to respond to an issue that the dealer scoffed at over and over again. These guys will tell you if they feel you have a case, and will happily represent you without any up front cash. They specialize in these issues.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not go to a different dealer and have them fix the issue? You have warranty for a reason. No need to start filing lawsuits when just going to another dealer could solve the problem

Last edited:

Ram725

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thats my feeling... I have 430 miles now on my 2500 and I need an 02 Sensor. But Honestly I dont care since it is all getting replaced for free under warranty.

There is not a single perfect diesel truck out there that runs problemless forever.

jpex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
your fuel in oil issue is interesting, i would run it for another 1500mi and resample to see if you still have fuel in oil. a "leaking" injector would have to be washing down the cyl as the high press common rail doesn't have a return on the injectors unlike the old style. as for the making oil i have noticed my truck also was making oil but the last time it was serviced i checked it and the tool at the dealership over filled it, i have continued monitoring and the level hasn't increased, maybe try correcting the level and checking daily when cold on level ground? i work with these engines daily and they have a few small issues but they are simple repairs for the most part, try resampling and keep us posted,

psimpson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I own several 6.4 powerstrokes and they are notorious for the same issue. During the regens they flood the cylinders with extra fuel and some gets by the rings and dilutes the oil. I have seen dilution over 10% on several of the Fords. Once I deleted the DPF the problem disappeared. Now I am switching to Ram 5500's and have several 6.7 Fords. Once the DEF system becomes the primary means of cleaning the exhaust the fuel dilution goes way down.

ELEVOFF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
I am having the same exact problem with short oil change intervals and contaminated oil. I know it has a lot to do with EPA requirements but if you assume that every diesel truck out there hits the highway every day to passively burn off crap in the DPF your crazy. I took mine to the dealer and they said I wasn't driving fast enough. They took my mileage and hours and came up with an average speed of 26 miles an hour. Well that pretty accurate considering how much time I spend off road on the farm but I shouldn't have to deal with contaminated oil every 1500 miles. I want in on the class action. Think I might call them now..