Mine won't start either!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lord-D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looked at the recent "Wont Start :(" thread, and it's pretty similar to my situation. There are, however, a couple of differences. My truck just suddenly started doing this. It's run without a problem for as long as I've had it, but now it quit working. I replaced the distributor cap, spark plugs, wires, and coil. All of those looked pretty yucky, so now I have good spark but the problem continues.

What happens is I try to start it, it coughs and sputters and barely starts, but then quits after about 10 seconds. After that, it just cranks and cranks. If I wait a couple of days, it will cough and almost start again but no joy. When it does this, it smells like it's just dumping fuel everywhere, and there's even a little bit of wet gas dribbling around the carburetor. It seems like it's flooding.

Edit: This pickup has a Holley carburetor, 318 V8 engine. I pulled the fuel line and stuck it in a soda bottle, and it pumps out plenty of fuel when I try to start it. And there's fuel everywhere, so obviously the pump is fine. I'm thinking maybe there's a problem in the carburetor with how the fuel is metered?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
have you tried holding the gas peddle to the floor and starting it? if the carb is flooding like you descrided this should clear it up and it should start. now if that works and you let your foot of the gas and it stalls then your floats could possibly be stuck or your idle mixture screws may not be adjusted correctly.