1987 W150 318 -- No headers available?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blastmagazine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 LA
hey all -- I went out and bought this system:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-cbjj111/overview/year/1987/make/dodge/model/w150

For my 1987 W150 with a 318, but my mechanic told me that it is impossible to fit headers to the truck because the engine has "air injection cylinders" which I guess is an emissions feature that Dodge added in 1987.

Am I SOL? Anyone else encounter this issue? Am I stuck with exhaust manifolds or are there options?

Thanks!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
well i guess it really depends on where you live. you do have to tap some things in the head and put plugs in them to install headers but it should be not that big of a deal. now if you have emissions air pump then you might have a bit more of a headache than it is worth if you live somewhere where emission is a big thing like California.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I bet you can mount them just fine once you delete the Air stuff.

Deblackmon3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 318
well i guess it really depends on where you live. you do have to tap some things in the head and put plugs in them to install headers but it should be not that big of a deal. now if you have emissions air pump then you might have a bit more of a headache than it is worth if you live somewhere where emission is a big thing like California.

I already took off the air pump, it was just getting in my way :p Thankfully I live in South Carolina, so no emission legislation to deal with. I could run straight headers with no mufflers and I would be in the right legally, it would just be INCREDIBLY loud and that's what would get me a ticket, not emissions. :death:

If you do take off the smog gear, realize that your cat converter is gonna take a huge hit and cut down its life span, maybe up to half. Make sure like what Crazzywolfie said to plug up the holes in the headers and exhaust manifold, or if available just weld a plate on them to seal it, that way the plug can't come loose at all.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if he puts headers on there will no longer be exhaust manifolds. the holes i am referring to are in the heads them self. they have to be tapped and plugged because headers do not cover the small emissions holes.

OP
OP
B

blastmagazine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 LA
So..and this is foolish I know. How can I tell if I have a passive or an active system?

What is the best tactic for tapping and plugging these holes without doing damage?

Is it even worth the extra $600 or so a mechanic is going to charge me, or should I just stick with manifolds?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
not a clue what you are talking about.

you buy a tap, tap the hole a couple threads and insert plug with some thread locker on it. now knowing these older trucks you might get lucky and the hole may be full of carbon. the carbon may hold.

depends on what that $600 includes. if that $600 includes the cost of the headers and new y-pipe and the mechanic installing it i don't think it would be too bad of a deal. i don't think you will notice any performance difference if you have a stock engine but it might make your truck sound a bit different and prepare you for future mods like a 4 barrel carb.

88rambigblock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985, 1988, 2001
Engine
1970 coded 440 big block
1. remove exhaust manifold.
2. drill those tiny emissions holes and tap them.
3. insert set screws into those freshly tapped holes
4. install the headers of your choosing.

it really is that easy.

88rambigblock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985, 1988, 2001
Engine
1970 coded 440 big block
so youre looking at 15 bucks max for set screws, 150$ for summit racing headers, and an exhaust shop can do an entire exhaust for you for less than 300$. so this whole project shouldn't cost you more than 465$.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. remove exhaust manifold.
2. drill those tiny emissions holes and tap them.
3. insert set screws into those freshly tapped holes
4. install the headers of your choosing.

it really is that easy.

Exept in my case I forgot to get a mini starter from a magnum engine. So I had to pound in the headers. The spend two days on the concrete and bent over the fender to fit in the headers. Only to find out that I forgot to plug the holes, then having to remove headers once more, plugging the holes and repeating the process.

Yes much "fun" was had that weekend. At least it sounds good now haha.