DIY: Differential Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heres a quick tut for changing out your differential fluid. Its not hard at all. So now you dont have an excuse to not do this at the recommended intervals.

Step #1 Gather proper tools and equipment.

You will need a 3/8" drive socket set, enough diff fluid of the proper weight, an oil pan, bucket, or something to catch the old fluid in, and some sort of heavy duty cleaner or degreaser (i used brake parts cleaner)

you might also need some RTV if you dont have a gasket on your cover.

DSC_0015.jpg

Step # 2 Place drip pan under Diff, and start removing Bolts

You need to remove the bolts starting from the bottom and work your way up. This will allow the fluid to start draining without making a huge mess.

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Step #3 Allow fluid to drain and remove cover

Wait a few minutes with only the top two bolts loosely in place for the rest of the fluid to drain out. Next remove your cover.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Step #4 Clean out pumpkin/cover and inspect Gears and Gasket

Using a clean rag wipe out all the excess fluid from the bottom of the differential. Use this time to inspect your gears for any abnormal wear or chips, or anything out of the ordinary. DONT USE CLEANER INSIDE THE DIFF!! you most likely wont be able to get it all out, and it could prematurely break down the viscosity of your new fluid. Next, inspect your cover gasket if equipped, and clean out the inside of the cover using the cleaner of your choice.

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Step #5 Optional Step

If you have been wanting to get a new diff cover, but dont want to spend the money, you can paint the cover with a can of high temp paint and replace the bolts (I used grade 8 bolts, got them from NAPA), the results will surprise you! And it only takes a few minutes.

Step #6 Replace diff cover

Line up your gasket, or apply RTV gasket maker according to the directions on the package, and put your diff cover back on. torque down bolts according to specs. (in my case it was 30 ft/lbs) I also torqued bolts down in a criss cross pattern to avoid warping the cover.

Step #7 Fill Diff with Correct amount of fluid

To take out the fill plug simply use a 3/8" drive socket wrench. Next fill with diff fluid. (my 10.5" rear took 3 quarts) fill until fluid is just below the fill hole. Next replace fill plug, and torque to specs (24 ft/lbs)

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Step #8 Stand back, and enjoy the fruits of your labor

Also, check for leaks. Those are bad.

IMG_1027.jpg

Last edited:

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What are the size of the bolts by chance? Is there any difference between the 1500 and the 2500 bolts other than how many you need

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are the size of the bolts by chance? Is there any difference between the 1500 and the 2500 bolts other than how many you need

are you talking about the head size? or the thread size? i dont recall off hand. all i did was drive to NAPA, take one out, take it in with me, and find a match.

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
makes sense.. that's what I would have done anyways.. thanks again

PJF0455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is an old post but I just changed my rear diff. fluid and the plug on the diff. cover is basically a rubber stopper. It fits pretty snug. Is this normal?

I have an 03 Ram slt 4x4 with the Hemi

Thanks

PJ

p.s.
Still getting around to updating profile.

PJF0455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is an old post but I just changed my rear diff. fluid and the plug on the diff. cover is basically a rubber stopper. It fits pretty snug. Is this normal?

I have an 03 Ram slt 4x4 with the Hemi

Thanks

PJ

p.s.
Still getting around to updating profile.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Yes. It needs to be to keep the oil from splashing out or pouring out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJF0455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks

So the one in the Pic up top is rubber also?? Cause mine dosn't have the place for the wrench. I just pryed it out with a flat screwdriver. Was under the impression it was a bolt or sorts.

Thanks
PJ

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
His doesn't seem to be, may be an aftermarket cover. But mine is.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Factory ones are usually rubber stopper that is why I replaced mine in the event I got into some deep mud of water. I think mine was 20 or 30 bucks. Now I have a true plug.

$miley

sleepy hollow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Great thread and great info.

2 Questions:

1. My 07 Laramie has a breather hose attached to the front differential? What is that about?

2. I have a fluid extractor that connects to my air compressor. Any reason not to use that for diff fluid changes? I understand the need to inspect visually every so often, but seems it would be convenient to use the extractor every other change or so? Any issues with this?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah, you should be fine using a fluid extractor every other change or so. i know those covers are a PITA, especially when you need rtv.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Great thread and great info.

2 Questions:

1. My 07 Laramie has a breather hose attached to the front differential? What is that about?

2. I have a fluid extractor that connects to my air compressor. Any reason not to use that for diff fluid changes? I understand the need to inspect visually every so often, but seems it would be convenient to use the extractor every other change or so? Any issues with this?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

I would not do it this way because the nasty stuff is at the bottom and you are leaving that behind. This is my reason for doing the long way.

$miley

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick question. Could I use the Red RTV sealant instead of the black? I have a lot of the red and it says its good to use on valve covers and oil pans. So I assume that it'd be fine to use with the diff cover right?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
It should be more than fine!

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks.. I just got the black stuff because it was on sale. Doing the change now. Had a few setbacks like the spare is in my way and I almost completely stripped 2 bolts. Waiting for the rtv to dry before I can put in the new fluid now.

jsmith180601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many quarts of gear oil did get to replace the old oil?

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

jsmith180601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a 1500 so I believe its a 9.5 rear end

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2