The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nukeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
The "official" thread to discuss what you like/dislike about your 6.4L HD Ram.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
^^^^ same here ^^^^

Tuffguy707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I don't own one but test drove one in a 2500 and i also talked to a guy who has one so heres my likes and dislikes if they count……..
likes; very quick in fact the one i test drove when i floored it i broke the tires loose every time even the one time when going about 15mph and mashed it they broke loose.
dislike; they guy i talked to who has one says the fuel milage is worse than his 5.7 he had in his 03 he traded in. i will say the evic said 10 mpg on the one i drove but i obviously drove it like i stole it so i can't count that.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Here is my input. I have a 2014 2500 4X4 CC and I have ran a few tanks of fuel thru it so far. I am at 900 miles on it in just over a week. On mid grade fuel with ethanol that's winter grade, I am averaging about 11mpg. On 91 octane fuel without ethanol I am getting 15mpg. Big difference there. But the non ethanol fuel is ¢. 40 more per gallon. Not sure on the benefits of the gains yet. Haven't took a trip yet, all my miles have been on city, backwoods, and some 4 lane highways here in the mountains of West Virginia.

On the power. Well yes it does have a lot of get up an go. The Ford 6.2 can't even compete. And well, the Chevy/GMC 6.0 isn't even worth mentioning. When you punch it. Yes even with the traction control on it will break the tires free very easily. And when the traction control is off, wow. Lets just say it will do donuts in a heartbeat. "WORD OF CAUTION HERE" if you are on wet roads, do not turn off the traction control and then punch it. Lol. It's a handful... And will go sideways and spin around on you in a blink of an eye.

On towing. With a 12,000lbs load got right at 10mpg. No squat in the rear and I had about 800lbs of tongue weight. No problem going from 0 to 75mph on a 9% uphill grade. And going down the same hill was just as easy. No complaints on the breaking. I love the fact that I can pre-program towing settings for 4 different trailers. And the power adjust mirrors are great.

Now for my cons... I hate the big ass floor console in the middle up front. Sometimes I need to use my middle seat up front. And with the console in the floor, it is a real pain. My son hates it and my wife really hates it. On the back seat. Why did they cut out the middle seat part in the back seat. Definitely not liking that either.

Cupholders. Lol. You have 6 up front and then only 2 in the back. Lol. Doesn't make much sense there.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II...

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nukeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Well, I started the thread so here goes.
Dislikes: engine is strong, but loud. The fact that Ram still uses an engine driven fan is unbelievable. Sounds like a garbage truck.... snowed this week and discovered my rear carpet/seats were wet. Dealer says its 3rd brake light.

More to come.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Well, I started the thread so here goes.
Dislikes: engine is strong, but loud. The fact that Ram still uses an engine driven fan is unbelievable. Sounds like a garbage truck.... snowed this week and discovered my rear carpet/seats were wet. Dealer says its 3rd brake light.

More to come.

Not sure on "engine sounds loud". Mine is by far more quiet than the Ford. And my old Silverado, but I had a CAI on it and muffler.

On the wet seat and carpet, its rained it's butt off here and I have sprayed it off every day. And have never had any water in mine. I even took it thru an automatic car wash twice.

I do definitely agree in the engine mounted fan. That is very old technology and definitely needs to be fixed.

Another con I have noticed, the stereo system. Not the best in the world. Seems like the speakers are very poor quality in sound and not very tunable as far as equalizer goes. Way to much of a dull bass thud should. I like to hear my music and like the clarity. Not just loud.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
yeah my uncle's 2011 had the leaking 3rd brake light. He said he reached behind his seat to grab something and stuck his hand in an inch of standing water. Headliner was ruined as well. It's a shame these things happen.

Last edited:

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Dodge wouldn't fix it at first, they said they wanted to try to clean it . Pretty much gave him the run around for 3 weeks.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On towing. With a 12,000lbs load got right at 10mpg. No squat in the rear and I had about 800lbs of tongue weight. No problem going from 0 to 75mph on a 9% uphill grade. And going down the same hill was just as easy. No complaints on the breaking. I love the fact that I can pre-program towing settings for 4 different trailers. And the power adjust mirrors are great.

Question for ya; what are the capacities for towing/payload? I can't get any info on the website to even configure one with the 6.4 yet GRRR
How is the ride when empty compared to half tons you've driven? Is the change to rear coils a noticeable improvement?
Thanks!

EDIT- found some info onthe US site (stupid Canadian site... a CC, 6'4" bed, 4x4 auto w/6.4L and 4.10s still has 3,171lbs payload and 15,500 max towing?? YES PLEASE! That's almost double my existing payload for a near apples to apples comparison. Sweet.

Last edited:

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
The ride is way better than any other ¾ ton on the market. My wife even commented the other night that it rides as good as my half ton Silverado if not better. Yes you can tell it is stiffer. But it is a smooth ride still.

When towing 12,000lbs I knew it was back there. But it was very easy to handle. The only time I felt any back lash from the trailer was going down the 4 lane at 70mph and hit a group of dips that are in rhythm. Lol. And they can get you bouncing pretty good. Lol. But it was no where near as bad as pulling an 8,000lbs load in my Silverado at the same speed. Which almost made me wreck the first time I done it. Lol.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
especially even with 3.73's and you are telling us you can break the tires loose with traction control on !

these motors must be underrated from the factory.

Tuffguy707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Only 2 cup holders in the back? My quad cab limited has 4. 2 on the floor and two in the food down middle arm rest. What's the cut out in the middle back seat? Is the arm rest missing? I'm confused.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
The ride is way better than any other ¾ ton on the market. My wife even commented the other night that it rides as good as my half ton Silverado if not better. Yes you can tell it is stiffer. But it is a smooth ride still.

When towing 12,000lbs I knew it was back there. But it was very easy to handle. The only time I felt any back lash from the trailer was going down the 4 lane at 70mph and hit a group of dips that are in rhythm. Lol. And they can get you bouncing pretty good. Lol. But it was no where near as bad as pulling an 8,000lbs load in my Silverado at the same speed. Which almost made me wreck the first time I done it. Lol.

Yeah I do agree with you about the ride, when I first test drove my 2500 hemi I was surprise on how smooth it rode.