Transmission Shifting Quesiton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jf5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
So since automatic transmissions are a dark art to me where a wizard controls the valves and a warlock the overdrive unit, and red ATF +4 symbolizes a blood offering to them both I have a question on what mine is doing.

First of Fluid Checks out ok. I have a small pan leak (when it gets a lil warmer ill be taking care of it) that I have stayed on top of level wise.

What its doing is it doesnt always want to get to overdrive. It doesn't struggle into overdrive it just wont go in all the time unless I get off the accelerator for a brief second. Doesn't always do it just sometimes regardless of outside temperatures or previous run time that day. Seems completely random.

Also sometimes when it does go right into overdrive I watch my RPM's drop in two stages say if I hit overdrive at 2200rpm it will jump down to 1700rpm and then down to 1400rpm. (cruising at 55mph i'm around 1600rpm on the factory tach.

Didnt know if this could be the sign of a eminent rebuild or what - just looking for answers. Any help is appreciated.

Finch

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It could be as simple was your Transmission Valve (TV) cable being slightly too tight. I know when I get on mine it won't shift until I lift then get back on, but I don't mind it. lol

The two stages of RPM drop you're seeing is the transmission shifting into OD, then OD torque converter lock up.

OP
OP
jf5.9

jf5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
now that makes sense - I dont mind it at all either - just like to make sure im not missing something going down hill - like i said auto trannys are a dark magic to me.

Segrat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '98 has been doing something similiar this winter. On the really cold nights it sometimes refuses to go into overdrive. I havent checked the transmission fluid yet but it might be a tad low. Looking at draining and replacing the transmission filter when it warms up a little.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My '98 has been doing something similiar this winter. On the really cold nights it sometimes refuses to go into overdrive. I havent checked the transmission fluid yet but it might be a tad low. Looking at draining and replacing the transmission filter when it warms up a little.

The transmission will not allow OD until the internal temperature reaches a set minimum of like 130 or something like that.

Last edited: