oil pressure drops at stops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lovemaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As the title says I drive for a while then when coming to a stop my oil pressure dips to nothing then goes back up to normal..when at a stop light it seems to do it a couple times but it stays normal when driving

Anyone know what's up with that or had a similar problem..

jf5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I had this problem back when I still had my 2000 Dakota 4x4 with the 3.9L Magnum.

Ended up being sludge in the pan that was clogging up the pick up tube for the oil pump. I would highly suggest at this point dropping the pan and inspecting what it looks like. If it is a sludge problem now is the perfect time to look into a high volume oil pump.

Finch

OP
OP
L

lovemaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks I will check that ..it blew an intake last year and was replaced...and it blew it again not too long ago cause the people that did it didn't line the gas get up good leaving a small leak..

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 99 dakota dakota with a 5.2 did this once to. Turned out she burned alot of oil and was just dangerously low. About half as much as (or less) than what should be in there and didnt even show up on the dipstick. Once I filled it back up never happened again.

This was just after I got the truck and learned to keep a much closer eye on the oil after that lol.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same as Finch, but with a Jeep Cherokee we used to have. Sludge in the oil pan. I dropped the pan and the screen was covered. I was gonna clean it at the time, but since I had the pan off anyway, I replaced the pump. Worked great after that. It was probably at around 120k miles.

Ray

OP
OP
L

lovemaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 318 4x4. How hard is the oil pump to change out..