U-joint popping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97CAMORAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
has anyone replaced the u-joint on their truck? my right front wheel pops and is in need of replacing. was just wondering how extensive this will be.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yes lot's lol. You are looking at about 1-2 hrs work per side. Sometimes the hub/unit bearing can be a PITA to get out of the knuckle the rest is not to bad. It is in the factory service manual if you have it. You can leave the axle nut and shaft on/in the unit bearing and change the u-joint that way, but a bit harder to change out the u-joint.

OP
OP

97CAMORAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
I've already replaced both hub assemblies, should've done the u-joints then but was on a budget lol but that's cool I can deal with that. any special tools required?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Nope but if you have a u-joint/ball-joint tool thats makes the job a bit simpler. Be nice when you put those shafts back in don't need to be replacing seals, also it might leak a little gear oil into the tube when the axle shaft is out so it might drip for a day or two. On occasion the collar in the cad will fall forward, so keep that in mind if the pass side axle shaft does not seat all the way in.

OP
OP

97CAMORAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Ok sweet, i'll tackle this tomorrow morning and see how it goes. I've watched a few videos as well and it doesn't seem to be too bad. Thanks for the info Merc, I'll update and let ya know how it went.

OP
OP

97CAMORAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Just updating. swap went smooth. ratchet,socket, and hammer used; whole job took about an hour.