8 Speed 8PH70 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I am curious for those who own the 8 Speed.

After initial break in-->How many have actually drained the pan and added fresh fluid?

I assume within the plastic black finned pan that some what drain plug looking item is actually a drain plug for the 8PH70?

If any of you have actually drained this pan-->How many quarts actually drain out from the pan?

I have plans on doing this around the 10K mile mark.

Yes I know this does not actually drain {ALL} the fluid from the transmission.

I am just curious how many quarts actually drain from the pan itself.

Thanks

KTM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
From what I have read on this Forum, there isn't even a dip stick to check the Tranny fluid, this worries me since i have also read that some of these new trucks were shipped out a few quarts low????? YIKES!!!!! Makes me want to drop the pan drain the the fluid and fill it up on the dealers lot before i drive it off. My truck isn't even built yet and I'm already worried about it. LOL

Hopefully there will be some good input for you about this topic, I am obviously no help.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Unholy PooP! I never even thought about looking for the transmission dipstick! Ah this is gonna suck.

I hope this is not like my daughters Audi.... Only the dealership can actually service the Automatic Transmission. Car has to be on a lift and fluid has to be at a certain Temp to change it.

KTM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I have heard more good than bad about these new tranny's, so we might just be worrying about a problem we don't have. It will be interesting to see if someone post a reply about draining one. BTW, any photos of your new rig? Sounds like we have very similar trucks, with one exception. YOU ALREADY HAVE YOURS.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Had my truck for 2 weeks. Been working so much have not had time to give her a nice warm bath and fresh coat of wax. Once that is done a few pics will be up.

I hope this is not a wanna be life time fluid. I can't find any info in the owners manual about the service interval of the 8speed. Just the fluid type. I have only had 4 hours sleep and my eyes are so tired.

I hope other owners who know more about this transmission and have honest truthful facts can shine alot of light here.

Did a bit of research on this New Transmission! I am now so glad I bought the Ram with the 8 Speed.

I will do my first service around 25K-30K. Gives me more research time!!

Very impressive Transmission!

After more research--->I love the pedigree of this Transmission.
It is a lifetime ZF Lifeguard Fluid Fill--->Which I don't like!

Now to find out the {Correct} way to change this expensive fluid. I'm not a believer in these Fill and Forget it Fluids.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Looks like the Plastic Pan and Filter are 1 Unit. OUCH! $$$$

Sounds like--> Severe Service=35K - 40K Miles Normal Service=60K miles

No other way around it-->If you have plans on keeping this auto for many years to come. Your going to have to spend some $$ to service this transmission--->If you are **** about things you spend a lot of your hard earned $$$ on.

If Not? Just drive it until it quits and leaves you stranded.

Last edited:

BigHorn14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You do not change the oil in 8spd. It is a sealed unit. Only time oil is changed if the tranny is rebuilt or worked on.

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
How much to service the tranny? What is the service interval to follow?

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Lonewolf: My Ram come with the 8HP70! I'm not worried about any other.

I know I am worrying about really nothing right now. My 8 Speed only has 485 miles on her. I'm sure by the time I reach 50K miles, I will have come across accurate information on the correct way to service and time of service on this transmssion.

I do know the ZF fluid is NOT CHEAP! & The Plastic Pan and Filter are 1 unit!

Moparman: If I ever come across that information! I will share with you! Please do the same with me!

I keep hearing and seeing it is a Life Time Fill! Ya never have to service it until it blows up on you.! I will never let this happen If I can prevent it.

Like I said-->I'm worrying about something that I really don't have to worry about until the 40K-50K mile mark.

I'm one who always likes to be prepared for the Unexpected! I only hope this is a service I can do in the drive way... I don't like being Butt ***** by the Dealer and charged $800 for a job I can do for $300.

Last edited:

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well you didn't say you had the Hemi and was asking if you knew which trans.
We have very knowledgeable to lucky the can fill gas tank newbies. Didn't know where you fell in equation, since you called trans 8ph and didn't want to insult.
Had heard anything on serviceability of 8hp70 trans.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well you didn't say you had the Hemi and was asking if you knew which trans.
We have very knowledgeable to lucky the can fill gas tank newbies. Didn't know where you fell in equation, since you called trans 8ph and didn't want to insult.
Had heard anything on serviceability of 8hp70 trans.

Yet his info under his name and his signature line both say hemi...

Truth be told I don't buy the whole lifetime fluid thing either, but the powertrain is warrantied up to 100k. If the fluid deteriorates and the trans gives up the ghost, it is most likely going to happen within 100k.

The problem won't be draining the pan or changing the filter, it will be filling it back up with fluid. Unless there is a fill plug located in an accessible area you may be looking at dropping the trans to do a fluid swap.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

Truth be told I don't buy the whole lifetime fluid thing either, but the powertrain is warrantied up to 100k. If the fluid deteriorates and the trans gives up the ghost, it is most likely going to happen within 100k.

The problem won't be draining the pan or changing the filter, it will be filling it back up with fluid. Unless there is a fill plug located in an accessible area you may be looking at dropping the trans to do a fluid swap.

Like a few cars I've seen with no dip sticks. There is a plug on the case you can fill it at. Again not sure about this trans. It is a ***** to fill though, I had to do it on my brothers G6.

I understand the lifetime fluid thing which is great, but I hate cars with no tranny dipstick.

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Heya smart guy, he didn't have hemi anywhere in his signature or under his name when he posted.
It's better to keep your mouth shut and be assumed an idiot than open your mouth and prove it!
I responded to help a fellow member with a question he asked. Did you come to help or criticize?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Heya smart guy, he didn't have hemi anywhere in his signature or under his name when he posted.
It's better to keep your mouth shut and be assumed an idiot than open your mouth and prove it!
I responded to help a fellow member with a question he asked. Did you come to help or criticize?

Regardless of which transmission he has, both are 8 speeds, both have "lifetime" fluid, both do not have a dip stick, and both have the plastic pan. So a answer for one will be the answer for both.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

:rolleyes:

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regardless of which transmission he has, both are 8 speeds, both have "lifetime" fluid, both do not have a dip stick, and both have the plastic pan. So a answer for one will be the answer for both.
It's personal preference I suppose, I could sleep better at night knowing I had the German made 8HP. No real proof there is anything wrong with the 845re but it's newer and not nearly tried and true.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's personal preference I suppose, I could sleep better at night knowing I had the German made 8HP. No real proof there is anything wrong with the 845re but it's newer and not nearly tried and true.

The 845re is just an 8hp45 renamed to fit Chrysler standard. I detailed the differences in the other thread but it basically just cant handle as much torque as the 8hp70. I think it was like 350 lbft vs 500 lbft rating.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Lonewolf: Thanks for all you input! My transmission I was asking about it Posted in the Title of my Thread.

Thanks guys for all your thoughts.

I have gone straight to the Horse for the info I needed--->ZF Friedrichshafen {ZF Services}.