Swapping my Plastic Bumpers 4 Chrome Bumpers??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeastNasty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I gotta 2010 4x4 1500 I'm thinking about swapping out the black plastic bumpers 4 chrome ones. However the guy I'm swapping with, his rear bumper doesn't have the holes 4 parking assistance. Can I still use it & get the holes drilled? Is it a easy mod? & I was also just curious to see y'all's opinion of the swap. I like it now being all black but at the same time I hate the flimsy plastic bumpers. The things a Beast.& 2me the plastic kills it.
& I also like the "pop" that the chrome will give me not to mention it'll make my truck "solid" here are some pics.
Check em out & let me know what u think. Feedback is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMAG0286.jpg
    IMAG0286.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0365.jpg
    IMAG0365.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG0366.jpg
    IMAG0366.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 50
J

jub jub

If you remove the back-up sensors, he'll be left with holes. No biggie I guess. You can always plug the holes with a plastic plug.

To adapt the back-up warning to yours, just drill the holes and insert the sensors. I would imagine it's that easy.

Personally, I think your bumpers look better than chrome. I have never been a big fan of chrome but, to each their own.

jdogbyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Yes, you can drill the holes in the chrome bumper. Just use a sharp step bit and take your time. If you try to rush the bit and push it through, you can cause the chrome to turn blue. All I did was tape off the area where I was cutting. Didn't need to use cutting oil or anything. Put a little clear coat or even nail polish over the cut area to prevent rust and you are done. Took me about 20 minutes to cut the 4 holes in the front and same for the back.

IMG_20140601_171100_zpstcij74m4.jpg

With sensors installed.

IMG_20140602_082151_zpsdgu9kusb.jpg

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I agree about the plastic front bumpers. I hate mine on my sport, but I plan on keeping the truck for a long time and one less thing to worry about rusting. I think it'll look good if you do the swap

RTS001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If he doesn't take the rear bumper with the holes i'll buy it with the holes...at a discount lol just fyi

jdogbyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Thank you. I actually just finished doing the install and am going to post some more pictures of the entire process.

I actually prefer the look of the color matched bumpers better but hate that they are plastic and damage so easily. At least the chrome is "somewhat" more impact resistant (though not much).

OP
OP
BeastNasty

BeastNasty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Preciate the feedback brother! Man yours came out looking sweet! I'm putting the BEAST in the body shop tomorrow to have some minor body work done. While
It's in there I'm a have him do the swap & paint the middle piece that goes between the bumper & grill. I'll post pics when I pick him up!...hopefully everything goes according to plan as long as the guy I'm swapping with doesn't back out :grd: