Uconnect RA2 to RA4 upgrade assistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello Ram Forum. I am a new 2014 RAM owner that was unfortunately unable to find the truck configured how I wanted with the 8.4 inch touch screen. My truck came with the Uconnect 5, which isn't a bad system, but it was just not the head unit I wanted.

I have purchased the 8.4AN RA4 with the manual climate control bezel from a salvage. I did this knowing that A) the actual head unit is (mostly) plug and play and B) the climate control bezel is not "compatible".

I have read that the new radios are "not interchangeable" but I am not buying that because there are several sources that have proved otherwise. I could just drop in the 8.4 unit and live without the volume and tune controls on the bezel while using the steering wheel controls, but that's not good enough for me.

I did try that techauthority wiring diagram link elsewhere in this forum but even putting in the VIN from the truck this radio came from it still only shows the non 8.4 wiring best I can tell. Clearly there is a missing link and I really hope to find a way to make it work.

So here is my dilemma. I need to know what the trucks with the 8.4 screen climate control wiring harness looks like. It is my hope that someone with knowledge or would be willing to offer assistance with some pictures might be able to get me further along. What I cannot determine at this point is whether there is a module that plugs into the climate control 24 pin connector and then a bridge to plug into the 8 pin bezel, or if the wiring harness itself is different.

Thank you in advance.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I can physically make a harness to connect to the new bezel. However, I do not know if it will work without a BCM flash.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are the images of the climate control wiring harness connector along with the back of the Uconnect 5 RA2 climate control bezel and the Uconnect 8.4 RA3/4 manual climate control bezel.

Attachments

• Climate Wiring Harness (2).jpg
    Climate Wiring Harness (2).jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,505
  • Uconnect 5 Manual Bezel (2).jpg
    Uconnect 5 Manual Bezel (2).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,214
  • Uconnect 8.4 Manual Bezel (2).jpg
    Uconnect 8.4 Manual Bezel (2).jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,469
OP
OP
A

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can physically make a harness to connect to the new bezel. However, I do not know if it will work without a BCM flash.

Oh? I would be interested. A BCM flash, is that something I could get the dealer to do? What would it involve?

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It's not something the dealer can do easily. If a BCM flash is required, you will need to get your dealer to email Chrysler engineering, and have them add the appropriate sales codes to your VIN. Then the dealer can re-flash your BCM. I've only successfully seen this done once.

All that said, I've seen someone successfully upgrade their radio to the 8.4. The only issue they had, was that the volume knob would not work. If feel fairly confident that this can be fixed without a BCM flash, but I cannot be certain.

OP
OP
A

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not something the dealer can do easily. If a BCM flash is required, you will need to get your dealer to email Chrysler engineering, and have them add the appropriate sales codes to your VIN. Then the dealer can re-flash your BCM. I've only successfully seen this done once.

All that said, I've seen someone successfully upgrade their radio to the 8.4. The only issue they had, was that the volume knob would not work. If feel fairly confident that this can be fixed without a BCM flash, but I cannot be certain.

Good information to know. Very much appreciated.

Are you familiar with the wiring? Is there in fact a different wire harness for climate control? Before I started on this I spoke with my dealers parts department and they didn't think there would be a problem with the actual wiring. Of course they also stood by the fact that this could not be done but that's another story.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Send me your VIN. I'll check on the wiring later today.

Koko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interested in how this works out. It may be an uograde I look into if you get this too work.

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram Black Express
Engine
What's the difference between the RA4 and VP4? From what I've read before, the RA4 wouldn't work unless you had the volume controls on the steering wheel. From looking at a VP4, it comes with the volume controls on the bezel already.

Would this work on a RAM?

738fc1616f03f951d84e44e955f470f7x.jpg

OP
OP
A

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The RA4 has a bezel with the controls. That's what I am attempting to use. The problem is an incompatible climate control plug. That's the physical holdup. I don't know about any BCM limitations yet. I'm waiting to see what jeepguy_1980 has to say.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 408

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram Black Express
Engine
The RA4 has a bezel with the controls. That's what I am attempting to use. The problem is an incompatible climate control plug. That's the physical holdup. I don't know about any BCM limitations yet. I'm waiting to see what jeepguy_1980 has to say.

ahhh ok, it'll be interesting to see what he has to say

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Is there anyway you can compare wiring at the plugs via a schematic? That will at least give you an idea what's missing at each plug. If the wiring is essentially the same, minus the plug being different, you might get lucky.

OP
OP
A

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there anyway you can compare wiring at the plugs via a schematic? That will at least give you an idea what's missing at each plug. If the wiring is essentially the same, minus the plug being different, you might get lucky.

If I had access to one I would.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the wiring might actually be the easy part.. its getting the bcm re-programmed that will be the tough thing. alot of dealers dont even know how to turn on sales codes (ex back-up cam). let along to do something more in depth like this.

OP whats your objective in the project? have you thought about a nice aftermarket double din? an aftermarket radio will sound 10x better and will also have more functions available.

OP
OP
A

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no desire for aftermarket. I have had way too many aftermarket thefts in my day. No one wants to steal stock radios. Aside from that, I think many aftermarket touch screen units have cheesy looking interfaces.

OP
OP
A

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does your uconnect 5.0 have a backup camera ?

It did not come from the factory. I had it dealer installed as part of the deal. I was told it would be in the rear view mirror but when I got the truck they had enabled it in the head unit. So, yes it does now.

OP
OP
A

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

After some more probing around on the tech authority site I noticed a difference between my VIN and the VIN that the 8.4 was salvaged from. Under HVAC SYSTEM - MTC the 8.4 VIN has a second A/C Heater module labeled C2. This may or may not be important... the search continues.