Uconnect RA2 to RA4 upgrade assistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
The volume knob I see is separate from the radio itself. It would make sense if somehow the volume knob had wiring that ran right back to the 8.4. If a guy could find that in some schematics I'm sure it would have to be a simple fix and wiring addition.

Last edited:

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Looking over some wiring in Express vs SLT trucks via: https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extra.chrysler.com/service/repair/wiring/view/classic.htm
Comparing the plugs at the rear of the radio I can locate no definitive Volume In wires. So, for the few that did swap to the 8.4 in their 5.0 trucks I have a question. The module the volume button is a part of is called "CENTER STACK UPPER." When you connected everything there is a smaller 8 pin plug on that module, how is that plug populated (Wire color/code)? Can somebody possibly tell me? I think that plug is how the radio is getting volume commands over CAN. If the wiring is the same on that 8 pin plug from truck to truck then I kinda wonder if its a programming issue and the truck isnt recognizing commands from that volume knob. Could it possibly be as simple as adding the RA3/4 sales code??

Last edited:

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
So for those that swapped and used the manual bezel, what worked and what didnt??

OP
OP
A

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still haven't tried yet. It really looks like there is a different wiring harness but I don't know for sure. Just what I have seen on tech authority makes it look like its a different wire. I'm on the fence about whether I'm going to attempt it further and may sell the parts I collected. I'm holding out on one piece of information from a contact and that will be the determining factor to sell or not.

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I swapped my 5.0 out to the 8.4 with nav. the climate control does not work but it shows the temp and the fan level on the screen. I get a have phone serviced error that comes up once in a while when I start the truck. But our good friend cgeorgemo explained to me that the other truck that has the 8.4 has the 911 and uconnect access on the mirror my truck doesn't. Other than that the nav shows up in the cluster and everything works fine so far. I change the volume and channels from the steering wheel, you can also change the channels and put them in manually from the touch screen.

Last edited:

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I swapped my 5.0 out to the 8.4 with nav. the climate control does not work but it shows the temp and the fan level on the screen. I get a have phone serviced error that comes up once in a while when I start the truck. But our good friend cgeorgemo explained to me that the other truck that has the 8.4 has the 911 and uconnect access on the mirror my truck doesn't. Other than that the nav shows up in the cluster and everything works fine so far. I change the volume and channels from the steering wheel, you can also change the channels and put them in manually from the touch screen.

Where did you get your 8.4? And how much did you pay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I got it from a recycle yard in Virginia, it was $250 shipped to my door.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You guys are getting so lucky with these units. I can't find one with nav for under $500 and I don't have any salvage yards close to here that have anything newer than a 2002 dodge

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got it from a recycle yard in Virginia, it was $250 shipped to my door.

Question for you. Did you already have nav in your truck before that radio? Can you simply buy one with navigation and install the radio with the needed gps antenna and it would work without a dealer flash ?

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I did not have Nav, just hook it up and turn the truck on it works fine, you will need to get an unlock code from the dealer. No flash needed. If you dont have steering wheel controls for the audio on the back of the steering wheel you cant control the volume. If you dont have the audio controls on the wheel, there is a thread on how to install it and all the parts needed, plug and play.

Last edited:

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did not have Nav, just hook it up and turn the truck on it works fine, you will need to get an unlock code from the dealer. No flash needed. If you dont have steering wheel controls for the audio on the back of the steering wheel you cant control the volume. If you dont have the audio controls on the wheel, there is a thread on how to install it and all the parts needed, plug and play.

Thank you. Found one for $350 gonna see if I can talk them down to $300 because it has a broken tab. Just gonna pick your brain a little more. Did you use the stock dash as another member did ? And did your dealer charge you for the unlock code ?

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I used the same dash, it is a little tight but it works. I thought about sanding some plastic off the back but I dont think I would need to. I went to my service adviser and she got me the unlock code, no charge. Good price by the way for the unit!

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Question for you. Did you already have nav in your truck before that radio? Can you simply buy one with navigation and install the radio with the needed gps antenna and it would work without a dealer flash ?

If you have the 5.0 then you'll already have the correct antenna on your truck. The satellite radio antenna is also the GPS antenna. I didn't need a flash on my truck at all for any of the audio upgrades I've done.
The steering wheel controls worked fine plug and play and the 8.4 RA3 and 8.4 RA4 worked fine plug and play without any dealer involvement besides the anti-theft unlock code.
20141027_152318_zps3mmfkv8v.jpg

Last edited:

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have the 5.0 then you'll already have the correct antenna on your truck. The satellite radio antenna is also the GPS antenna. I didn't need a flash on my truck at all for any of the audio upgrades I've done.
The steering wheel controls worked fine plug and play and the 8.4 RA3 and 8.4 RA4 worked fine plug and play without any dealer involvement besides the anti-theft unlock code.
20141027_152318_zps3mmfkv8v.jpg

Thank you so much man! I ordered my 8.4" with nav today.
Did your backup camera work fine with it also? I was going to wait to do this but found the cheapest deal on a radio I've seen so had to jump on it.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you so much man! I ordered my 8.4" with nav today.
Did your backup camera work fine with it also? I was going to wait to do this but found the cheapest deal on a radio I've seen so had to jump on it.

Yep I had done the backup camera mod with Jeepguy's harness back in July. The camera works just fine with the new radio.

Sent from Skynet terminal 142a5

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep I had done the backup camera mod with Jeepguy's harness back in July. The camera works just fine with the new radio.

Sent from Skynet terminal 142a5

Does your backup camera have the moving lines when you turn your steering wheel

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes it does.

Thank you for all help cgeorgemo, I'll let you know how my install process goes and how the nav works. I still have to order my steering wheel controls. Waiting on a payment to clear through PayPal first :)

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here are the images of the climate control wiring harness connector along with the back of the Uconnect 5 RA2 climate control bezel and the Uconnect 8.4 RA3/4 manual climate control bezel.

I count 23 pins vs 8. I was just looking at some pictures and doesn't seem like this would be an easy process. I'm sure someone with time and resources will figure it out. If I could get my hands on one of the 8.4" dash trims I would play around with it. But I can't find one for cheap enough. So I'll just install mine in my Stock dash and keep watching

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415664533.046501.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415664533.046501.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 205

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I count 23 pins vs 8. I was just looking at some pictures and doesn't seem like this would be an easy process. I'm sure someone with time and resources will figure it out. If I could get my hands on one of the 8.4" dash trims I would play around with it. But I can't find one for cheap enough. So I'll just install mine in my Stock dash and keep watching

I have one of the 8.4 bezels. The wire harnesses are different. No common connections for the climate control or the knobs for the radio.
The climate control is a totaly different type of connector as well it has surface contacts not pins.

Last edited: