DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
DIY: 2013+ OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

I installed the OEM audio controls, this is a write-up of how I did it.

This will work for all factory radios.

The parts needed:
Left switch 56046099AD
Right switch 56046098AD
Wheel harness 68163713AB
Black back cover 1YH75DX9AC

From AllMoparParts.com vendor page...

Black - https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/ramaudwhlkit.html

Brown - https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/ramaudkitbrwn.html

Here is a video of the airbag spring removal. https://youtu.be/aO_nql1yerQ

Tools Required
Standard screwdriver or Air Bag Ring Tool from Miller Driver's Airbag Lock Ring Remover 10187
#2 Phillips screwdriver
#20 Torx screwdriver
Ratchet and 13mm Socket
Steering Wheel/Pulley Puller Similar to this set from O'Reilly auto parts Performance Tool W80651 - Steering Wheel Puller Set | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I did not have the truck flashed at a dealership.

Step 1: Disconnect the Negative terminal of the truck battery.

Step 2: Using the Torx screwdriver remove the screws holding the column cover together. Then remove and set aside the upper column cover. the lower doesn't need to be removed for this installation.

Step 3: Use the standard screwdriver or Airbag tool to flip the spring clips on the air bag from the studs on the steering wheel.

This is the hardest part of the install in my opinion.

The spring clips are located at about 10, 2, and 6 o'clock on the rear of the steering wheel under the rear cover They are hard because it is going to be nearly impossible to see what you are doing.
This picture of the back of the wheel when removed shows where the openings that you need to use to access the spring clips are located. Notice the little half circle cutouts at 10, 2, and 6. The little black bar on the metal in each cutout is the back side of the airbag retaining studs. The clips will be over the studs and you can feel them, even though you can't see them.
20140904_212011_zpsafis8flm.jpg

The picture below show what the spring clip looks like coming off the back of the airbag.
AirbagSpringClip_zps98ccb780.jpg

In the picture below the red circles are where the studs are located once you get the airbag off.
InsideAirbagStuds_zps5fcac4c5.jpg

Turn the wheel so that each position is centered on the top of the wheel's rotation. This will help when you are prying off the clip.
You need to slide the blade under the clip and pull it outward from the center of the wheel while pressing the horn cover away from the steering wheel. If you do it right the horn cover will pop off the stud. .
AirbagPoppedOut_zps4ecbf948.jpg
Once you get one turn the wheel to center the next spot and get the others.

Take a break.....you deserve it. I was almost ready to cuss at this point because of the frustration in getting the airbag off.

Step 4: Disconnect the airbag wiring from the rear of the airbag and set it aside until you are ready to replace it. While you are disconnecting the airbag go ahead and disconnect the steering wheel harness which is the white clip you can see at 12 o'clock in the picture above.

Step 5: You will need to use a ratchet and 13mm socket to remove the bolt holding the steering wheel to the column.
RemoveNutInside_zpsd5974681.jpg

Step 6: Now its time to hook up the steering wheel puller and get the wheel off the column.
WheelPuller_zps8b79febc.jpg

Be careful to not spin the airbag clockspring that holds the wheel electrical connection. Details below if you do turn it accidentally...

Step 7: Once you get the wheel off the column you will want to remove the 4 screws on the back and the bottom 2 screws inside which are holding the rear cover to the wheel and the front cover. In the back the top 2 are Torx and the bottom 2 are Philips.
RearScrews_zps83968e3b.jpg

Inside the wheel the bottom 2 are Philips.
InsideScrews_zpscbbd5c5a.jpg

Step 8: Pull the top 2 inside screws to release the front cover if your fingers can't reach the clips for the switches. Once you have access to the clips replace the steering wheel harness with your new harness leaving the 2 new plugs for the audio control pulled towards the back of the wheel. The layout is the same as the original harness there is just a couple extra wires for the new switches.

Step 9: Put the audio switches in the new rear wheel cover. They slide in from the back and they will only fit on one way due to a notch in one corner of the switch housing. (I thought I had a picture of this but I didn't get the flash to fire so it was just a black murky mess.)

Step 10: Connect the audio switches to the wiring harness and go ahead and press the front and rear covers together while getting all the wires secured inside the covers. The front and rear covers will snap together with the side tabs for trial fitment. Be sure to have the main white clip on the top centered.

Step 11: Replace all the screws that you removed which hold the front and rear covers together.

Step 12: Place the wheel back onto the column and re install the bolt that holds it in place. Be careful to not spin the clock spring that holds the electrical connection for the wheel. Once again details below if you do that...

Step 13: Replace the top column cover and re-install the screws that hold it to the bottom column cover.

Step 14: Hook up the airbag wiring and then push the Airbag/Horn cover onto the studs and allow the spring clips to hold it in place.

Step 15: Re-connect the negative battery terminal and enjoy the new audio controls.
20140905_074751_zpsgpwefh3b.jpg
20140905_074640_zpsewlspzzw.jpg

At this point you might be wondering,"What happens if you turn the clock spring that the steering wheel wiring harness connects to?"

The computer will be convinced you are turning when you are going straight. It knows that you shouldn't be turning when you are going straight so the little light will come on to tell you you are sliding around all *****-nilly when you aren't.

Also you cruise control won't work because the computer is convinced you are trying to wreck the truck attempting to engage cruise while you are sliding all *****-nilly.

Also that spiffy OEM Backup Camera that you installed will think that the wheel is cranked to the side and the lines on your display will be all bent out of shape while you are in fact backing straight.

If you do turn that clock spring. You get to take the steering wheel off again to get it centered so that all the above mentioned things stop happening.

DO NOT ASK ME HOW I KNOW...
This is the expression I had on my face when I accidentally took a selfie while trying to figure out what I could have done to cause all these issues.
OopsSelfie_zpsc4e827f8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BlkXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great write up!

Did you have to order two of the back covers, or does it come as a pair? Will be doing this within the next month or so.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Do you have before/after pics
It looks the same except for the switches on the rear cover of the steering wheel. You'd have to look behind the wheel to see them at all.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Great write up!

Did you have to order two of the back covers, or does it come as a pair? Will be doing this within the next month or so.
I just ordered one back cover, the two switches and the new wiring harness.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have some more pictures that I will add tomorrow but after messing up what my trucks computer thought was happening and pulling that wheel off twice I'm about out of patience and I'm going to bed...

cody4130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome write up! I have asked the dealer several times if I could do the steering wheel controls and no one could give me an answer. I'll be doing this ASAP!

luigi1285

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Very in depth write up. Ty very much this will make life much easier !

jabrams00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just ordered my parts, we will see how it goes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome write up. Thanks you for this. I will help me to add the heated wheel to mine.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Fantastic!
I definitely want to do this to my 2013 SLT V6/8spd CC with Uc 5.0. It drives me nuts not having steering wheel audio controls and the voice response/commands option is a no go IMO.

Sent from my "Up All Night Sleep All Day" Nexus 5!

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Fantastic!
I definitely want to do this to my 2013 SLT V6/8spd CC with Uc 5.0. It drives me nuts not having steering wheel audio controls and the voice response/commands option is a no go IMO.

Sent from my "Up All Night Sleep All Day" Nexus 5!

Yeah the voice recognition in my truck is obviously defective.....because I don't have any luck getting it to work. I'm sure it can't be my accent or lack thereof....

Last edited:

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 with the uconnect 5.0.

My steering already have the 2 caps behind the steering Wheel. Do you know the the steering is pre wired ?

there is a way to not open the Wheel and remove the air bag ? ?

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wanted to add you are right about the clock spring, lol. I had to pull mine back out as I forgot to plug something in. When I did I didn't realize and turned the clock spring. I aligned it back up but didm;t realize it had made a whole turn. Went for a test drive and the light in the dash was on and when i went to stop I was pulling to one side. Went to backup and noticed the lines curved to one side while going straight back.

Ended up pulling it apart a final time and turning the clock spring back one rule turn which fixed the problem. I can now get the airbag off and the wheel off in less than 5 minutes. Not bad considering what a pain those spring clips are.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2014 with the uconnect 5.0.

My steering already have the 2 caps behind the steering Wheel. Do you know the the steering is pre wired ?

there is a way to not open the Wheel and remove the air bag ? ?

No you have to remove the airbag to get the covers off the wheel.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I wanted to add you are right about the clock spring, lol. I had to pull mine back out as I forgot to plug something in. When I did I didn't realize and turned the clock spring. I aligned it back up but didm;t realize it had made a whole turn. Went for a test drive and the light in the dash was on and when i went to stop I was pulling to one side. Went to backup and noticed the lines curved to one side while going straight back.

Ended up pulling it apart a final time and turning the clock spring back one rule turn which fixed the problem. I can now get the airbag off and the wheel off in less than 5 minutes. Not bad considering what a pain those spring clips are.

I had turned the thing so much that I had to work out the right position by turning from lock to lock and finding center.