Cummins 6.7 exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimReaper69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hi all, I'm new here and new to the diesel world have always played with gas burners. I was wondering if anyone could help me with any kind of exhaust mods for my 2008 cummins 6.7. I wanted to know what all I can do or remove without affecting my Ecm and where I won't have to have a programmer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
You can straight pipe from the catalyst back, basically remove the muffler
Your not going to see/hear any difference as long as the emissions equipment is there

Are you against deleting or just don't want to spend the money in a tuner? There are SIMS out for your truck which are sensor foolers that allow you to delete your truck without tuning

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
Hi all, I'm new here and new to the diesel world have always played with gas burners. I was wondering if anyone could help me with any kind of exhaust mods for my 2008 cummins 6.7. I wanted to know what all I can do or remove without affecting my Ecm and where I won't have to have a programmer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Like Stangshcky12 mentioned you can get sims, but message will appear on the over head about every 10 minutes or so and will drive you nuts after awhile. Not to mention check engine light will remain on. Personally better off with an old H&S off road tuner such as the mini max or the H&S XRT down-loader. For the exhaust, rather with cat back or turbo back exhaust, 5. 9 Cummins 04 1/2 to 07 will fit on your truck, good luck.

OP
OP
G

GrimReaper69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks hall, I'm not against deleting at all I just don't want the check engine light on or messages flashing. So to get any gains I have to delet emission stuff and have a programmer. Ok so for my truck which would be the best tuner, I'm looking more for fuel mileage than anything because the motor has more than enough power to pull what I'm pulling like a boat and 30 ft camper.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks hall, I'm not against deleting at all I just don't want the check engine light on or messages flashing. So to get any gains I have to delet emission stuff and have a programmer. Ok so for my truck which would be the best tuner, I'm looking more for fuel mileage than anything because the motor has more than enough power to pull what I'm pulling like a boat and 30 ft camper.

EFI Live is your best bet. You can get 3 custom tunes for less than what it would cost to pick up a used Mini Maxx or XRT.
I had an H&S Mini Maxx for about a year and a half before selling and going with EFI Live, best decision ever. I got tired of how smoky the old HS tuning was, then when they updated and cleaned up the tuning the throttle response took a huge dive.
Anarchy Diesel is a good place to check, a lot of people like their tuning and you cant beat the customer service.
I'm not positive but I am pretty sure they will do re-tunes(included with the purchase) for you if you did some data logging.
I went with Dave Mathews at Draconian Diesel and I know that he includes 6 months of re-tunes for free (usually places charge $75 for a new tune). I still need to data-log my fuel economy and race tunes.

I would highly recommend doing and EGR delete and either a cat back exhaust or turbo back (cost is pretty much the same). You can delete the EGR cooler if you like, but you won't see any performance or fuel economy gains. Removing it just eliminates the possibility of it cracking and leaking coolant.

OP
OP
G

GrimReaper69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Awesome, thanks for the info it gives me something to work work with now. I was thinking of doing the egr and cooler delete, will I need the programmer for that too? Also I was going to change the air filter setup again will I need a programmer or are those 2 things I can do until I get one.

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
Awesome, thanks for the info it gives me something to work work with now. I was thinking of doing the egr and cooler delete, will I need the programmer for that too? Also I was going to change the air filter setup again will I need a programmer or are those 2 things I can do until I get one.

I will agree with what NWRQC said about deleting the EGR/COOLER, which reroutes hot exhaust gasses back into the motor. Better to remove now to avoid possible leaks in the future and also will have a cooler running motor,wait until you remove the egr/cooler it's full of soot. You will also notice when you remove the EGR/ COOLER it will be a little louder in the engine bay, but sounds really good. I've never delt with EFI, have a few buddies that run them on there 5.9 CR, they seem to be happy with them. If I'm correct it's an Australian based company. H&S was the first company to come out with an off road down-loader XRT for the removeal of all emissions equipment for at that time 07.5 6.7 Cummins and also code free. They were pretty much the pioneers, then everyone else started in on the game. The tuner will shut down the egr even without the removeal. I have the Mini Max with MCC custom tune, I have had the mini max going on 4 years now and very happy with it.. I would personally remove the stock air box and install an aftermarket one, some feel they do not need to, but again that will be up to you. If you do decide to keep the stock airbox intake, I would at least get an aftermarket filter such as an S&B filter or K&N. To answer your question you can remove the stock airbox and replace without having the tuner or down-loader installed.

OP
OP
G

GrimReaper69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hall arecgreat thank you so much for the help I'm learning as I go and will probably drive y'all nuts with all my questions lol I just want to know before I do anything so I don't screw anything up. Cummins Powered you said I can remove the stock airbox which I'm going to do now, can I do the egr delete also with out the tuner? Again thank you for all the info

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
EFI Live is in New Zealand but they only produce the software/hardware, most tuners for these trucks are actually in the US
I'd recommend getting and edge insight CTS/CSto run with your tunes, An autocal and insight still come out to less then what used mini maxx are now going for

OP
OP
G

GrimReaper69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ok your talking about a used mini max can you find a used efi also and would yall trust a used one?

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
Hall arecgreat thank you so much for the help I'm learning as I go and will probably drive y'all nuts with all my questions lol I just want to know before I do anything so I don't screw anything up. Cummins Powered you said I can remove the stock airbox which I'm going to do now, can I do the egr delete also with out the tuner? Again thank you for all the info

Yes, you can remove egr/cooler without a tuner, and install block off plates. But you will get a check engine light, an electronic malfuction indicator lamp(red lighting bolt) on your dash. You want to look for the butterfly valve just below the egr. There is a controller cover with 4, T- 20 torx screws, you will have to remove the gear assembly controlling the butterfly valve. The H&S off road tuner is pretty pricey, has doubled in cost around 1,800.00 give or take. Other option is to find a used Smarty or Smarty Jr.(down loader) or the Edge insight CTS or CS.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If you choose smart make sure it has the ME software that is delete capable
Torque Tech is another company I believe whose tuners are delete capable, don't know much about them though

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
There are tons of choices for the 3rd Gen 6.7s. You really cant go wrong with any of them.

Along with the options mentioned above, RaceME (basically the new Smarty) also handles deleting the DPF and disables the EGR. I ran one for almost a year with absolutely no problems. I just recently switched to H&S XRT so I could get custom tuning.

I will say though that EFI Live seems to be the standard for tuning 3rd gen 6.7s. I have no personal experience because I can't get it for the 4th gens but the 3G guys I talk to that swear it is the only way to do it.

x2 for the Edge Insight CTS for gauges. The pillar mount blends well in the truck and will give you monitoring for everything you can imagine through the OBDII port. The only exception is that you will need to add a pyrometer once you delete.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
X3 for the Edge CTS for gauges, it seems that a lot if people go that route.
I bought my Mini Maxx before the EPA drove the price up. I paid a little under $800 new(TBE and tuner was under $1,000). For a price comparison, I sold it post EPA crackdown , switched to EFI-Live, added TCM tuning , bought a couple gauges and still walked away with some leftover money.

Both of the EFI Live tuners that I mentioned before are both in the US (Texas and Tennessee). I would also recommend getting you TCM tuned. It will drive/feel way better and last a longer. I never realized how bad the shifting and feel of the stock 68RFE was until I had to switch back to the factory tuning for a few weeks after selling my MM. The race to 6th gear and the soft shifts drove me nuts.
You can unplug you EGR valve now to pick up a little fuel economy. You will have a dash light but no other adverse effects. It's a brown plug on the intake horn. That will keep the exhaust from recirculating back into the intake.

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
That would be the easier way just simply unplug the EGR. Tuning the stock transmission is also a good idea helps the 5th and 6th gears from lugging, when I had my stock tranny I had the H&S overdrive tune, really helped a lot with firmer shift points.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The one thing that I did like about the OD tuning from H&S was that you can adjust the shift firmness and shift point to suit your liking.

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
The MCC, Max Calibration Control Tuning software is great to have measuring such as injection quanity, injection pressure, injection timing, and so on.