DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alang399

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did mine last night, this was VERY helpful.

Thank You

jmr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
Great write up.

I had a 2012 Express and wanted to add the radio controls but for those years it requires adding sales code RDZ to the vehicles config. The dealer could not add it because it's not a option for my vin. I'm glad things changed in 2013 so now I can add the parts to my 2014 Express plus a leather wheel. This is a mod you will feel every time you drive. :)

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I wish I had done it sooner, I've gotten in the habit of using the radio dials and I forget about the switches I installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twisted 8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what radios does this work for? I have the smaller touch screen w/o nav, but does have bluetooth

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
what radios does this work for? I have the smaller touch screen w/o nav, but does have bluetooth
Sounds like the one I have. 5" touchscreen. That's the Uconnect 5.0.
Definitely works with that one.

Last edited:

jmr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
Yes it works great! I have the Uconnect 5.0 in my 14 Express and
upgraded to the leather steering wheel and the radio switches. It's totally plug and play.:)

madrussian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it works great! I have the Uconnect 5.0 in my 14 Express and
upgraded to the leather steering wheel and the radio switches. It's totally plug and play.:)

Where'd you source your leather steering wheel?

pmiya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I plan on adding the SWC to my 2014 Tradesman. I will have to use the Axxess ASWC-1 adapter with my aftermarket stereo. One question I have is where does the wiring harness from the steering wheel connect? I took a quick look under the dash and the wiring harness from the steering wheel goes into a larger bundle that is wrapped with black cloth tape. There is a connection that is covered with a grey foam padding coming off the larger bundle.

A photo of where the harness connects would save me some time unwrapping the bundles of harnesses. This tutorial is great, I'm just trying to save a little time on my install.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I plan on adding the SWC to my 2014 Tradesman. I will have to use the Axxess ASWC-1 adapter with my aftermarket stereo. One question I have is where does the wiring harness from the steering wheel connect? I took a quick look under the dash and the wiring harness from the steering wheel goes into a larger bundle that is wrapped with black cloth tape. There is a connection that is covered with a grey foam padding coming off the larger bundle.

A photo of where the harness connects would save me some time unwrapping the bundles of harnesses. This tutorial is great, I'm just trying to save a little time on my install.

Thanks in advance.
The wiring for the audio/uconnect/cruise/gear selector all connect to the same harness. I didn't check to see where it went but I thought the Axxess ASWC-1 adapter was installed at the radio wiring harness not the one coming off the steering wheel.

http://contentdocs.installernet.com/documents/vehicle/12491.pdf

Last edited:

pmiya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for the confusion, the ASWC-1 does connect to the stereo connection. What I was wondering was where the new steering wheel harness connects at the dash end. The wiring goes from the steering wheel into a larger bundle of harnesses under the dash. I was just trying to figure out where in connects under the dash.

I've ordered the parts that are listed, plus the left switch to add phone controls to the steering wheel.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Sorry for the confusion, the ASWC-1 does connect to the stereo connection. What I was wondering was where the new steering wheel harness connects at the dash end. The wiring goes from the steering wheel into a larger bundle of harnesses under the dash. I was just trying to figure out where in connects under the dash.
Ok sorry, I have no idea where it is at the dash. The harness I ordered plugged into the adapter on the steering wheel.
It is the black wire harness at the top center of the wheel in this picture.
InsideScrews_zpscbbd5c5a.jpg

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where's the best place to buy the parts for this mod, other than the dealer??

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Where's the best place to buy the parts for this mod, other than the dealer??
All mine came from allmoparparts.com they weren't back ordered when I got mine. I've ordered a lot of things from them and they have been top notch.

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, more questions:

The Black back cover 1YH75DX9AC ($22.02), in pictures, it does not show the opening cut out for the audio controls. Are the opening there, but just not shown in the picture, or will I need to Dremel the openings for the audio controls?

Next, with removing the airbag, after taking all necessary steps. The airbag is held onto the steering wheel buy those black studs. The parts on the airbag look like they are U shaped. To get them off, you just use a screwdriver to pry/slide the U shaped things off the black studs??

Thanks, just wanting to get all the facts before diving into this:waytogo:

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok, more questions:

The Black back cover 1YH75DX9AC ($22.02), in pictures, it does not show the opening cut out for the audio controls. Are the opening there, but just not shown in the picture, or will I need to Dremel the openings for the audio controls?

Next, with removing the airbag, after taking all necessary steps. The airbag is held onto the steering wheel buy those black studs. The parts on the airbag look like they are U shaped. To get them off, you just use a screwdriver to pry/slide the U shaped things off the black studs??

Thanks, just wanting to get all the facts before diving into this:waytogo:
The holes for the switches are in the back cover from the factory.
I used a screwdriver to get the airbag springs off the studs. Be patient it can be frustrating to get them off the first time you try. They are pretty stiff and not being able to see them makes for a frustrating job.

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The holes for the switches are in the back cover from the factory.
I used a screwdriver to get the airbag springs off the studs. Be patient it can be frustrating to get them off the first time you try. They are pretty stiff and not being able to see them makes for a frustrating job.

I looked on the back of my steering wheel. There is an outline of where the audio controls would go, but they don't just come off. It is like doing the cabin air filter mod, there is an outline where the filter goes, but I had to cut the opening.

So would ordering that one part for the back of the steering wheel, have the pieces that just pop off for the audio controls??

Thanks

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That rear cover for the steering wheel didn't have to be cut. It was all ready to go.