DavidRam's 1st Audio Build... EVER! :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is a box calculator that I like to use. Speaker Enclosure Volume Calculator
My personal feelings are build it out of a high quality 3/4in MDF. Then paint the corners with fiber glass resin to seal it up perfectly and oh glue with tight bond 2 that stuff will tear apart the mdf before it will ever let go.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get a custom box built for .5 CuFt SUPER easy.

Who, where? :)

Here is a box calculator that I like to use. Speaker Enclosure Volume Calculator
My personal feelings are build it out of a high quality 3/4in MDF. Then paint the corners with fiber glass resin to seal it up perfectly and oh glue with tight bond 2 that stuff will tear apart the mdf before it will ever let go.

Cool thanks! It looks like the one's I am looking at are 3/4" mdf... I definitely will not have the time to build this myself, so I have to find someone who will build it to my specs (or maybe modify an existing design).

Attachments

• 06_Chevy_Standard_Cab_Sub_022.jpg
    06_Chevy_Standard_Cab_Sub_022.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 158
  • dsc0275pw6.jpg
    dsc0275pw6.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF2190.jpg
    DSCF2190.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 147
  • CASEY 031.jpg
    CASEY 031.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 692

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best bet is something like the first picture to me it just says clean and quality.

Edit just looked in your location David and there is a shop called 310 Kreations that gets good reviews.

Last edited:

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Worst case, if u decide to go prefab, I would add some caulk or resin to make sure edges are sealed and prob add some bracing to the Inside. Then throw a Little polyfill in there to top it all off

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best bet is something like the first picture to me it just says clean and quality.

Edit just looked in your location David and there is a shop called 310 Kreations that gets good reviews.

I agree, that is my fav. But I am also thinking how I can make it still useful to throw a bag or something back there...

Thanks, I'll check them out... strange that they don't have a website, but definitely awesome reviews on Yelp!
Worst case, if u decide to go prefab, I would add some caulk or resin to make sure edges are sealed and prob add some bracing to the Inside. Then throw a Little polyfill in there to top it all off

Good point. I hope to have someone make it semi custom, so I can have a say in the design and quality.

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine is something like picture 2 but my whole truck is going to gutted and redone some time here in the near future.

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine is something like picture 2 but my whole truck is going to gutted and redone some time here in the near future.

Now why would u go do something crazy like that?! Lol, There's a few things in my build I wish I could do over but I just hate ripping everything apart over and over. Plus if I take it apart again, changes will be drastic

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It honestly takes me all of 20 mins to get the interior out now lol.

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
After 2 layers of MLV, I think my door panels are stuck on. Lol. PITA to get back on

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Nice! will be watching for sure! Very interested in the subs. I would love to get back to 12s... 10s just just cant get low enough...

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
to a broad range of music, but my favorite is electronic (dubstep, chillstep, techno, house, drum-n-bass, etc..). I also listen to some Metallica and Stone Temple Pilots, and occasionally Rihanna, lmao!
I do not listen to much at higher volumes, though this stereo build might change that... ;)
I do drive with my windows down most of the time.
I do not like rumbling bass, if that makes any sense. I like tight, quick, bass that feels like someone hit you in the chest with an aluminum baseball bat, but it was so quick you don't know where it came from.

Does any of that make sense??

Actually, here are two songs I really like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQcQDbpDH_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ASUImTedo

Ok I'll do that before I order a box. I am trying to figure out general layout/shape/apperance
of the box and how it will fit in the cab. Also, where to mount the amps.

wow you listen to more modern music than I do. I take that back rarely I listen to dubstep versions of older songs. This guy had Hank Williams jr hog wild which is rock with country and the JBL speakers handled it well. What left my head ringing was a disturbed song I had which is heavy metal he played the song at very high volume with a 900 watt amp system with 2 15 inch subs. It rarely distorted what made it distort was when the song hit high notes
roughly around 32k megahertz.
http://m.youtube.com/results?q=crucified disturbed&sm=3

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tweets in that particular JBL set are very harsh sounding and he was asking for something that is more laid back, but you are on the right track the JBL MS6C is a very good budget set.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I listen to a broad range of music, but my favorite is electronic (dubstep, chillstep, techno, house, drum-n-bass, etc..). I also listen to some Metallica and Stone Temple Pilots, and occasionally Rihanna, lmao!
I do not listen to much at higher volumes, though this stereo build might change that... ;)
I do drive with my windows down most of the time.
I do not like rumbling bass, if that makes any sense. I like tight, quick, bass that feels like someone hit you in the chest with an aluminum baseball bat, but it was so quick you don't know where it came from.

Ok so what I think we are looking for is something with laid back tweets and some rightous midbass. At a minimum I we are looking at a 6.5 mid as my 5.75 runs out of steam to get serious midbass output in our doors without an enclosure.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Tweets in that particular JBL set are very harsh sounding and he was asking for something that is more laid back, but you are on the right track the JBL MS6C is a very good budget set.
Well everyone has their own opinion I don't think they were harsh. Of course my hearing has been messed up since that lawn mower backfired by my ear. David might go to an audio shop and ask the people there for a system test. They hooked up 10 different brands to my sister's Lincoln and JBL sounded the best to me I guess it was the layout of the system and my spitty hearing.

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I can safely recommend Dynaudio for a good chest thump.

I heard CDT makes some beastly little 6.5" but I can't really comment on them from experience.

From the small sample of Focal sets I've heard, I can't say the midbass was overly impressive but the tweeters were laid back and the set sounded very realistic and natural.

I have an old set of the ID OEM in my garage. Them little ******** will hit u in the chest. Hard to find now tho.

Also a there's the Peerless SLS. I had the 8"s and they kicked ass so I'm sure the 6.5" isn't too far behind.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just read something about that SLS that people said it sounded like a subwoofer instead of a mid lol.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well everyone has their own opinion I don't think they were harsh. Of course my hearing has been messed up since that lawn mower backfired by my ear. David might go to an audio shop and ask the people there for a system test. They hooked up 10 different brands to my sister's Lincoln and JBL sounded the best to me I guess it was the layout of the system and my spitty hearing.

Right on man it does matter how everything is installed and everyone's tastes are different. What we are looking for is something that is best bang for his budget and I know those jbls are a great set for the money but they won't stand up to anything that is in the catagory that David has been looking at.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Right on man it does matter how everything is installed and everyone's tastes are different. What we are looking for is something that is best bang for his budget and I know those jbls are a great set for the money but they won't stand up to anything that is in the catagory that David has been looking at.
Right, well I wouldn't recommend anybody anything I wouldn't buy just the kind of person I am. I heard some bose speakers and they sounded flat to me. Kickers are hard hitting speakers I heard some in someone's toyota and you can see the windows vibrate with the bass.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I think that is the style I will go with... If I put the amps under the seats, that cuby in the center will give me a little area to throw some ****.

Do you think that makes sense???

I am not trying to make this like a show piece, just a nice clean fit and still keeping my little cab as practical as possible. I don't think I could live with giving up that rear compartment completely for the sake of sub woofers.