Audio Upgrade & Modification Basics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwend

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have an aftermarket deck, you would want to run the camera to an accessory power source. You can get this right at the deck since you need to run the video from the camera there also. The camera would not need a reverse wire signal. Only the Pioneer deck.

frascona

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My aftermarket deck has an input for the backup camera that is a simple RCA plug. The deck automatically knows when you are in reverse... through the wiring harness, and switches to that input for the signal. Then when you go to drive, the input changes back to the DVD or radio.

Bkhsvt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ideally you wouldn't want to run an amp at 1 ohm, that is just making the amp work harder. This will potentially send the amp into protect/overheat or shorten the life of the amplifier. You would want to purchase the amp that has the power you want in higher resistances such as 2 or 4 ohms....is going to sound better, run longer and give less problems ;)

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would agree if it is an amp not built to run down to 1ohm but if you have one that has been built it is just fine to run it that low. The biggest thing is to have upgraded electricals to handle the larger amprage draw.

Bkhsvt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This isn't a topic that is about numbers on a box, or upgrading your "electricals" there's a lot of things one can do, but doesn't mean it's best, you could run 87 octane on your 91 octane tune with your diablo intune. It would prob not run as good tho right? But hey, this Murcia people do a lot of weird stuff, I'll stick to ohms law and what I've been taught, keeps people from coming back to my shop with audio problems and dead amps or burned down trucks.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ah speaking from a business point of view you are right but I for one have never seen dead amps, burnt up trucks or audio problems by keeping it within specs that come from the side of that box or installed properly(not saying you or your shop doesn't install properly just saying from a DIY point of view). Look at it this way if you are going to play big and wire that low you would absolutely have to upgrade electricals to support this and it will keep your amps alive just as long as if wired to 4 or 2 ohms as long as the amp is made for that low.
Not an argument and not saying I know more but I do know with people doing things themsleves on a forum giving them proper information rather than don't do it is a bigger help. You said it, this is Murcia and people will do what they want. Most will shoot for the big numbers on the side of the amp box.

kohj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a base audio system with the RA2 and i cant seem to get the LOC to send signal, I tapped into the LOC wire and ran speaker wire the the high level inputs on the amp and it works so i know the LOC is connected to the right wires and those wire are sending signal to the LOC, Any ideas on this one. I know the sound wont be much different but i spent to much time running and hiding wires to start over. but i may have no choice.

ramdude916

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a badass looking truck David. I need those black rims!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

stevelcl9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need some help

I have a 2014 Ram 1500, the truck has the base stereo system, not the Infinity system. I have installed an LC8i, 4 interiors, 2 subs, and 3 amps and kept the factory head unit. I have power to the head unit, but NO sound out of the speakers. If I connect a speaker straight to the head unit it does not work, but if I connect it back to the factory wiring it works. I have tried everything, I can't figure out what the problem is. Anybody have any ideas?

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Just an update for anybody who cares. The radio was plug and play (wires and fitment), thank goodness because a new bezel is like $180+. The radio works great, sat radio works, and everything. HDD is only 16gb.

I still need to add the GPS antenna. I wasn't sure if it would use the other antenna or not. Looks like it needs it's own. Also I'll need a mic to use the hands free calling. I know there is a mirror with mic built in, but I may just add the standalone mic which saves a ton of money.

Mic kit with wire was 30 and gps antenna 16 shipped, so my total is right at 366 with everything including shipping.

Last thing will be a backup camera, but I may not do that. I don't know.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415895470689.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415895470689.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 425
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415895491454.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415895491454.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the same thing

I have a 2014 Ram 1500, the truck has the base stereo system, not the Infinity system. I have installed an LC8i, 4 interiors, 2 subs, and 3 amps and kept the factory head unit. I have power to the head unit, but NO sound out of the speakers. If I connect a speaker straight to the head unit it does not work, but if I connect it back to the factory wiring it works. I have tried everything, I can't figure out what the problem is. Anybody have any ideas?

I just bought a 2014 Ram 1500. first dodge in decades. I spent the weekend, running power, hiding lines, etc. Only to find out my Audiosource LC6i doesn't work with the RAM new head units. I think they're set up so if there's any increased resistance, the unit doesn't send a signal out. Did the same thing you did, but no success / sound until you re-attach the factory speaker wires. I even tried putting the outs directly to my "high level" inputs on my amp and nothing.

So I'm running my dash, front door, rear doors off the head unit, which doesn't sound bad but lacks a little punch even with the new speakers I put in. The rear sub box I built helps fill in some of that though. Finally, after figuring it must be a resistance thing, I spliced into the rear channels to just hook up my sub woofer and the LC6i (only using 2 channels now) does work if you connect it in PARALLEL with the factory speaker wiring. The LC6i is about 200 ohms resistance so in parallel the rear channels should see about 3.9 ohms, unlikely to damage the build in amp. Not much you can do about it. Hopefully you were able to make your set up work or atleast return your processor. If you figured another way, please let me know.

Pulling out power and speaker wires you've taken all day to run sure takes a lot less time to take out. :Big Laugh:.

DoubleTap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab with the base 6 speaker system and the 8.4an head unit.
The LC6i does work with the new head units in the 2014 dodge Rams. I am running an LC6i and it works perfect and was super easy to hook up and get working. I tapped off the rear passenger speaker wire behind the center pillar panel between the two doors. I ran that for my signal to the LC6i to remote in I believe. Then ran remote 1 amp in line fused wire from the remote out to the amp. The way the LC6i works is that as soon as it sees signal coming from the stereo it powers on and then powers on the amp. I am running 0 gauge power wire from the battery to the rear seat by the amp. Then I ran the 0 gauge into a power distribution block with a 0 gauge inlet and dual 4 gauge outputs. So I have 0 gauge going into the distribution block and then 4 gauge running out of the distribution block into the mono amp that is powering the 12" sundown SA 12" sub. And the RCA cables run from the amp to the LC6i. Then I am running 4 gauge cable from the 2nd outlet of the distribution block to the 4 channel amp that is powering the door speakers. Running all new speaker wire from the speakers to the LC6i and also all new speaker wire from the speakers to the 4 channel amp. And I am powering the dash speakers just off the factory head unit.
I am running infinity reference 3.5" dash speakers, 6.5" front 3 way door speakers and 6x9" 3 way rear door speakers. And all I can say is that the sound is absolutely amazing. The mids and highs are so crisp and clean and clear and loud with zero distortion coming from my dash and door speakers. And the sundown audio SA 12" sub in the ported fox box is insane. It bumps so loud and also is clean, clear, crisp and with zero distortion. And I just installed it after having a Kicker Comp CVR 12" sub in there while I waited for the sundown audio SA 12" sub to get here. So the sundown SA 12" sub I just installed in place of the kicker sub so I haven't even let the sundown sub rip yet and have everything turned way down almost all the way on the new sub until it gets broken in and loosens up over the next few days and it is still a night and day difference between the sundown SA 12" sub and the kicker comp CVR 12" sub. I can only imagine and can't wait until I can really put some power to the sundown sub and really let her rip.
But in short yes the LC6i does work in the new dodge Rams 2014+ with zero issues. So my guess is that it was installed incorrectly if you can't get yours to work. Because I know more than a few people who are also running the LC6i in their 2014+ dodge Rams with no problems. So recheck that you have it installed correctly and it will work just fine for you. Just a tip though...if you have the base system that didn't come with a factory sub you cannot pull power or signal from the factory subwoofer plug under the rear seat. Since your truck has the base system and no factory amp and never had a factory sub then there is and never was any power or signal going to that factory subwoofer plug wiring. And you can't get power to it unless you install a factory amp under the dash because that is where the connection ends for power and signal from the head unit.

GuardiRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is 2012 sound system a tweener

It seems availability of electronic aftermarket4 ex. Crutchfield stops at 2011...others start at 2013. New to me CC 1500 Laramie. Always drove Ford or GM SUV and working on audio after learning curve pretty easy. Miss my trucks tho...drove a rental Ram for 2weeks...had to go 4 it. Best bang for buck packages and coil spring ride. Crap SR-A tires but still smooth. I've always liked Alpine. Got it in our track car. This system had room for improvement and I have ?s.
Default Help interpreting info?
Thx for accepting questions. First one I wrote disappeared when i tried to insert a picture...won't do that again.
2012 1500...38k miles...730n. I like it so I would like to improve speakers. The Kicker up grade which relaxes amp and sub(I think) has mixed reviews so I have ?s. It seems the Kicker package accepts factory wiring but may not be for 2012?
1. Most factory systems use low ohm speaker to draw more from the low power amps(I've gutted a couple of GM Boses)...what about just dropping Infinities or JBL? Worthwhile?
2. If I go the route of adding an AC LC2i...can I use the existing sub signal or better to use rear door. Advice in beginning here says to tap both speakers. Does that mean tap both speakers or both leads off one speaker?What happens to the factory door or sub signal...just disconnect it? Wouldn't that throw the OEM head into a fault...no play?
3. If I use an LC2i to add signal to better amp(mono) will the LC2i need its own power like the amp. Could I use a LC6i and provide all locations with any kind of speaker from say a 4 or 5 channel? I hope my questions aren't too confusing. I'll post this else where to in case you don't see it...THX

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

GuardiRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't post a lot on forums but this is first time my pictures are upside down...darn. Anybody know how to fix. I tries rotating picture with hope it would put it upright...no love. Every time I touch insert picture I loose everything

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 266

kellyjonesrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Desiel
How do i set up Navigation 2016 Ram?

I canny figure out how to get Navigation on my truck. Lets face it, I may not even be able to find my way back to any answer because I am tech savy at all! Please start with Step 1 for me!

Pollock21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone with a single JBL 3.5 w/harnass adapter PM me. Also interested in rear JBL 2 ways.

Spence3134

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Help

I NEED HELP! I am installing a pioneer double din in my 2014 ram 1500 with factory back up cam. I am able to get the radio to recognize the backup cam however it will not engage when the truck goes in reverse. I hooked up the reverse wire from the radio to the reverse wire on the metra harness but nothing happens. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.