2014 Ram 2500 TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reb4wd99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Any of you guys that have recently bought a 2014 2500 or up know about the issues with the TPMS being set at 85PSI and nothing the dealer can do to adjust the threshold if you put aftermarket wheels and tires on the truck. I just want to let you know that I contacted Ram and let them know how terrible of a design that was and the response was just about immediate. The issue was immediately escalated to the next level. The case manager told me that this was a big issue and that they have been receiving alot of complaints on it and that hopefully Ram will have a fix for it in the near future. If you have one of these truck, or even if you dont, I would urge you to go to ramtrucks.com and submit a complaint to help keep the pressure on until they change it. Just wanted to let you guys know that Ram is aware of the issue and are looking for a solution. :favorites13:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
This is good to know!! My '12 has the 'light load' TPMS switch on the dash and it is an awesome feature. I really don't understand why they pulled it from the '13+ trucks. Time to light up them phones!! :D

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
That's Dodge for you lol! It seems like when they have something good for several years on their trucks, then they make all these improvements with the newer trucks, leaving out some of the great features that were on the previous trucks. I have the light load TPMS swich as well next to my exhaust brake button. Hopefully they will get that situated, that is a very great feature to have on the vehicle.

kdhawk200

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 and 2004 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7 and Cummins 5.9
I called RAM and was told there was nothing they could do. After I complained they said they would have to call me back in a couple of days. They called over two weeks later and said there was nothing they could do and never said they were working on a fix. I just got tired of the lights so I have the 80 lbs. of air in the tires. I told my wife, "if I wreck while driving on ice, to sue the heck out of RAM". I can't think of anything more dangerous than driving on ice with an empty pick-up with 80 lbs. of air in the tires.

tony 340

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
I've been running my truck at 85, usually closer to 90lbs for close to 10 years with no problems.

If you have problems driving you should check into some winter driving classes or get yourself some better tires.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've been running my truck at 85, usually closer to 90lbs for close to 10 years with no problems.

If you have problems driving you should check into some winter driving classes or get yourself some better tires.

When people switch to an aftermarket wheel and tire set-up a lot of the tire options aren't rated for 85psi. When going aftermarket a lot of people tend to go towards an all terrain or mud terrain tire such as Nitto TG or Toyo M/T which are only rated for about 65psi, depending on size.

Darwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 2500 with tpms and the door sticker says to set the front tires at 60 lbs. and the rear at 80 lbs. I have the tires set at 70 front and rear and the tpms low pressure light never comes on. Just thought I would share that little bit of info.

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a 2014 2500 with tpms and the door sticker says to set the front tires at 60 lbs. and the rear at 80 lbs. I have the tires set at 70 front and rear and the tpms low pressure light never comes on. Just thought I would share that little bit of info.

The way I understand it, the light won't trigger until the rears hit less than 65 psi, but once the light is tripped, you have to air it up to 80 to get it to go out.

I am running 37's and they're rated at 65psi max. The light is driving me crazy.

I've read on another forum that if you take the TPMS sensors out completely, the yellow light in the dash goes out after a while and all you get is the tire screen on your EVIC when you start out. That might be my next move.

The beast 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Got a tpms light on

Awesome sight by the way, have already gained some knowledge, had my 2014 2500 lifted and installed 35" tires they require less air in the rear than factory now I have a light on, four wheel parts in Orlando did the work, they did not offer any help in fixing the light and they did not say anything up front about this basically they suck. I have been doing my own research, will head to the dealership today they will attempt to lower the rear air requirements then I will have them air up to 80, I will drive it to trigger the light off and then air down as much as possible, will keep you informed, u guys already offered some advise appreciate it. I will also go online to ramtrucks.com and file a complaint this may help with our fight to fix this. I will eventually go higher with 37" tires but not yet love the beast 6.4 hemi four wheel drive 2500

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Awesome sight by the way, have already gained some knowledge, had my 2014 2500 lifted and installed 35" tires they require less air in the rear than factory now I have a light on, four wheel parts in Orlando did the work, they did not offer any help in fixing the light and they did not say anything up front about this basically they suck. I have been doing my own research, will head to the dealership today they will attempt to lower the rear air requirements then I will have them air up to 80, I will drive it to trigger the light off and then air down as much as possible, will keep you informed, u guys already offered some advise appreciate it. I will also go online to ramtrucks.com and file a complaint this may help with our fight to fix this. I will eventually go higher with 37" tires but not yet love the beast 6.4 hemi four wheel drive 2500

Been there, done that. Had the dealership change the threshold, my dash says "inflate to 32 PSI" but the light still comes on whenever the rears are below 65. Good luck, and let us know how it goes for you.

The beast 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Spent four hours in the dealership yesterday, they lowered the threshold for the rear tires to 60 psi but the light is still on, drove to north Florida and back last night the light is still on, tire pressure is at 65, the dealership will take it back this week and continue to work on it, will keep u posted

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I went through the same thing. Although the dealer can change what the dash displays, they can not change the actual threshold. No matter what the dash says, the light comes on at the same time as it does right off the lot. My dash says "inflate to 32" (front) and "inflate to 47" (rear). even with that, the light still comes on.
If I inflate the rears to 80, the light goes out and stays out until the rears hit about 64. My solution has been to keep the tires at 66, and the light stays out.

If you are running the tires at 65, do this;
Inflate to 80 in the rear and 65 in the front. Drive it til the light goes out. Then lower the rears to 65 or 66 to be safe and drive. the light will stay out.
Do this at the coldest point in the day and you should be ok with temp fluctuations.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine

Running your tires at 85-90 when the MAX sidewall pressure is 80 on most E rated tires is ******** to begin with. Now the fact that we should truly be airing the tires in relationship to the load would tell you that 85-90 is even more ********...

The calculation I was taught to use is:

((Load of tire)/(weight rating of tire))x Max load tire pressure.

For example:

Lets say there is 4,000 pounds on the front axle. divide this by two, for the two tires on that axle... you get 2,000 pounds. we will also say the tires max load is the typical 3,185.

so: 2000/3185= .6279

We will take the .6279 x the normal 80 psi max tire pressure. to get 50 PSI

The curb weight of my 2015 ram 2500 6.4 hemi crew cab short box is 3800 pounds. So quite truthfully I should be running in the neighborhood of 50 psi...

The fact that you want to run 85-90 is your prerogative... You feel free to drive around with a much stiffer ride, prematurely ruin your tires and lose a lot of traction due to less road surface contact... I will continue my route...

Telling some one they need to take winter driving classes is just asinine and not needed within the forum...

kdhawk200

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 and 2004 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7 and Cummins 5.9
I have good news. I received a couple of re-call notices and took my 2014 2500 in, and it fixed the tpms problem. I am running 46 lbs. in my rear tires and I have no alarm or light on. I haven't put 80 lbs in them yet and maybe it will set the light off again. I don't care. I run empty more than loaded so I can deal with the light on when I pull a load once in a while.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Running your tires at 85-90 when the MAX sidewall pressure is 80 on most E rated tires is ******** to begin with. Now the fact that we should truly be airing the tires in relationship to the load would tell you that 85-90 is even more ********...

For example:

Lets say there is 4,000 pounds on the front axle. divide this by two, for the two tires on that axle... you get 2,000 pounds. we will also say the tires max load is the typical 3,185.

The curb weight of my 2015 ram 2500 6.4 hemi crew cab short box is 3800 pounds. So quite truthfully I should be running in the neighborhood of 50 psi...

The fact that you want to run 85-90 is your prerogative... You feel free to drive around with a much stiffer ride, prematurely ruin your tires and lose a lot of traction due to less road surface contact... I will continue my route...

Telling some one they need to take winter driving classes is just asinine and not needed within the forum...
Your truck weighs wayy more than 3800# bro..typo maybe? My truck weighs almost 6600# and i have a regular cab 6.4 2500.

Last edited:

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have good news. I received a couple of re-call notices and took my 2014 2500 in, and it fixed the tpms problem. I am running 46 lbs. in my rear tires and I have no alarm or light on. I haven't put 80 lbs in them yet and maybe it will set the light off again. I don't care. I run empty more than loaded so I can deal with the light on when I pull a load once in a while.

Can you post the recall number or codes?

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine

What recall was this? I need to get that annoying light to go out

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7

For example:

I agree whole heartedly that running 90psi is insanity. Especially if it at 90 cold, that tire could hit well over 100pi hot and that'd WAY over and 10ply E rated spe.spec.

However, the problem I see with your method is that only calculates static load. Roll into a corner hard and the 2000lb static load could transfer to 2900 on the outside tire and 1100 on the inside. Now you're tire is underinflated for it's current load.

We typically reccomend 65-75lbs to our customers who run LT tires, depending on their needs. Because we all know "that guy" who drives a CCLB 2500 with LTs and the heaviest thing he hauls is his wife. He runs 65. Haha

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Sure would like to know the recall number. I will hopefully get through the summer with the Firestones but doubt I will see much over 20k for total mileage on them. They have been rotated 3 or 4 times to this point, about 17k, and looks like about 6/32 tread left. Will go to Michelin with the 70k warranty for next set but sure would like to set the rears at 65 when not towing.