Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Well I decided to install the OEM tailgate back- up camera in 2014 ram 3500 DRW ST. First of all my truck came with the cheapo RA1 no-connect radio, I had previously replaced the radio with the RA2, uconnect 5.0, this swap was purely plug and play except for the compass and the mirror with microphone ( but that is another thread in itself).
The OEM DIO kit is 82214240-001 C/O
A. Camera Body Harness P/N 68209529AB
B. Radio Harness P/N P68189122AB
C. Handle with Camera Provisions P/N none was on this item
D. Camera Lock Jumper Harness P/N P68096415AC
E. Tailgate Wire Harness P/N P68189124AB
F. Shrink tube pieces (QTY 3)
G. Splice clips (QTY 3)
H. Cable Ties (QTY 3)
The instructions are 14 pages which contain 59 steps.
I started by installing items C, D and E steps 1 thru 17 which are fairly straight forward. While installing item D I noticed that it was identical to the one I removed from my truck, P/N P68224929AA, but I replaced it anyway and this one is a PITA. It was getting late so I buttoned up the tailgate and plugged item D into my existing harness and called it a day.
As I pondered the task of installing the rest of the kit at work the next day, which requires routing harness, cutting the boot in the firewall, splicing into the PDC harness, the BCM harness and removing the radio.
When got home I decided to try it just for the heck of it and low and behold it worked lines and all, which are turned on and off through the radio.
It is important to note that I had previously had the camera code XAC added to my truck when I brought it in for the recall. Also my truck is a no frills tradesman, with power windows and locks from the factory.
Anyone contemplating this should have the option code XAC added to their truck and install only items C and E and try it before moving on in the instructions, you might be pleasantly surprised!!! :favorites13:

bfreeman80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you post the pdf instructions from Mopar?

desant89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where can I buy the kit? I am searching for that part number online, and cannot find it. Please let me know, and also how much it costs. Thanks!

rceagle1a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OEM backup cam

I'm also thinking about adding this to my tradesman 1500 express. After I installed the ra2 5.0 rado I restarted my truck. Low and behold the screen pops up blank(because of no cam hooked up). Am I to assume the code is present in my truck just no camera?

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
it look like this, when you put it in reverse? Do you have the camera settings in the radio?
DSCN0216.jpg

DSCN0214.jpg

DSCN0215.jpg

If so You do, this does not necessarily mean you truck is prewired for it though.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
This is the pn for the handle with camera provisions ...
C. Handle with Camera Provisions P/N 68197873AA

AllMoparParts UAx vs RAx Camera PNs (Here)... newer PN works with All
-------------------------

Here are the current Ram/Chrysler OEM kit directions (and P/N's) for adding the factory Parkview Camera to 2013-2017 Ram Trucks depending on your Trim Level/radio i.e. Express/RA1 vs rest/RA2,RA3,RA4.

- PN 82213752 (RA1 Radios w/o RSP, adds Mirror as Monitor, i.e. Express)
$525 parts/$765 installed at dealership
K6861692 2013 Ram1500 ParkView Cam w Mirror Monitor noMic PN 82213752

- PN 82214240 (RA2, RA3, RA4 Radios as monitor)
$300 parts/$507 installed at dealership
K6862043 2013-2015 Ram Parkview Cam w RA2 RA3 RA4 Radio Monitor PN 82214240

>> BriansMobile Tradesman Install Video w/Uc5.0 RA2

Here are both the basic factory Backup Camera schematic and the Add-On Kit schematic for the Radio/harness ...
2013+ Factory & OEM Add-On Kit PN 82214240 schematics.png

My 2013 SLT was missing the wires from the i550 Tailgate connector to the back of the radio.
Note: I didn't install the OEM Kit, I used a custom harness made by Jeepguy1980 (he passed away, but the details are linked or you can get one from me via M² Mods).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some links I suggest everyone take a look at:

** Please DOUBLE CHECK & RECHECK YOUR WIRING at ALL CONNECTOR PINS BEFORE RE-APPLYING POWER! **

It is very easy to get the pins wrong at the back of the radio and the chassis harness cable connectors!
You could ruin your radio, the camera, and/or the BCM!

Post 01 - Cptwing's OP: Check the harness p/n's in your tailgate against his list from the kit. Anything from the OEM Kit that matches won't need to be installed, lucky you.
(pictures of the various vehicle side tailgate, radio, and chassis connector pins from your truck will also help check. See old thread post 403.)

Post 10 (This One) - My post with links to the 2 Ram OEM Camera kits P/N's and the Official Kit directions to review before ordering. Kit Cost vs Dealer Installed Cost are listed from my dealership. Most people will only want the kit that uses the Radio's display for the camera.
>>> I have also added a schematic to use with the RA2, RA3, RA4 Camera Add-On Kit from RAM <<<

* * 70chall440's Posts (12 - 63) - Keep an eye out for his posts, they were very detailed, include pictures, and he went through the entire kit's directions to do it. * *

Post 19+ - Pictures of the BCM Module layout for the C5/E connector. Post 20 & up have some good pictures by 70chall440 also.

Post 25 - Additional pictures of the i550 Tailgate connector and the i550 Tailgate Wearout Extension Cable that may be installed on some vehicles (i.e. 2500's & up?)

POST 26 - Detailed picture & VIDEO of the back of the Radio connector for identifying the correct pin locations for the rear camera (Primary Camera input. There are actually inputs for 3 cameras).
** PAY ATTENTION HERE - MANY PEOPLE GET THE PINS WRONG **

Post 51 - Some basic details about the 3 Cameras/Input pins on the 8.4 (RA3/Ra4) Radios for use with the "Lockpick" or the "Customtronix Jailbreak" software.

Post 82 - Cptwing's post listing the 8 pins in the i550 Tailgate connector.

Post 228+ Install issues with MTGTS's 2500 & pictures of the connectors to check for verifying existing wiring against the schematics (also has pn's to verify proper harnesses in the tailgate).
Note he had the short i550 Tailgate Extension issue (Also look at post 231, 234, & 254)

Post 250: MTGTS's "Detailed" 2500 schematic showing the missing wiring for the camera.
Note he had the short i550 Tailgate Extension issue (Also look at post 231, 234, & 254)

Post 280 - R.L.K.'s pictures of the OEM Kit's "Chassis Harness A" connectors at both the i550 Tailgate and Cab End under the foot well.
** Pay Attention, People Get the Pins Wrong Here Also **

Post 290 - R.L.K.'s pictures of the PDC power connection at C7-13.

Post 586 & 587 - ** i550 tailgate connector info links & disassembly pictures to help with moving the 2 lock wires **

Post 1003 - other bu cam info

Other References (from around here/found by others):

Post 911 - How to modify Lin Bus CBC3 signal to enable anytime viewing of OEM Rear Camera AND keep Active Grid Lines!
(req's CustomTronix Rax Jailbreak or LockPick Air V2 )

Post 912 and Up - Notes about DannyMk2's 2015 Ram 2500 missing camera wiring at "Inline-Body/IP" connector (vs i315). Originally began around Post 694 (another good reference for verifying if you have existing wiring or not).

Post 1250 - Summary pictures of the 4 vehicle connectors for backup camera and Identifying i315 vs Inline-Body/IP connector setup.

Post 1165/1166 - My 13Ram Front cam install

Post 14 - Explanation of difference in Ram OEM Camera Kits vs JeepGuy's Custom Harness from Old thread. I also have a link to a 2014 Ram 2500 Factory Schematic with both Rear Cam & CHMSL Cargo Cam listed and info for making both harness versions depending on the footwell connector type.

Old Thread Post 403 - My original post with links to the 2013 factory camera schematic and labeled connector pictures for it. This was only for Jeepguy's custom harness (I re-hosted his pdf directions as well), but you will still deal with the i550 (tailgate) and C1 (Radio) connectors with the new OEM kits and may still want to reference it. The 2 Ram OEM Camera kits P/N's and the Official Kit directions are also re-listed here as a reference.

- Chrysler TechAuthority Website: To look up schematics for your vehicle, by Vin or general model. Not always specific enough; a lot of this stuff was figured out by others comparing schematics b/w different trim levels/Vins.

NOTE:
For those of you considering this, please look through the posts I listed and the OEM Kit Directions since it took a considerable amount of time to go back and find them and host the files.

----------------------------- TROUBLESHOOTING & SW NOTES ---------------------------------

** NO GRID LINES:
If you don't have the Grid Lines but still have video, recheck your BCM C5/E-45 connection. A bad connection to this or the wrong wire is the most common cause.

If you are 100% sure about your wiring, then consider a SW update. For the RA2:
> SW version 2.3.20 may not display the lines.
> SW version 5.2.20.1 has been confirmed to do so (and has option to turn them on/off)
Note: See R.L.K.'s troubleshooting/install at post 116, Post 297, post 341, and resolved at Post 423

** BLUE SCREEN W/NO CAMERA VIDEO AT ALL: Recheck the 10 Amp fuse (F95) at the PDC and all connectors.

** NO BLUE SCREEN & NO CAMERA VIDEO AT ALL IN REVERSE: Have XAC sales code flashed or dealer re-verify flash.

AlfaOBD Notes by mjf6175 post 1488

Last edited:

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just purchased the OEM kit and plan to install it soon. It seems fairly straight forward but as per the advice of others on this forum, I will take my time. I don't want to break more than I fix.

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I began the install today, since I have the camera is already installed along with the harness down under the tailgate (near/above the spare tire). I ran into an issue in that I needed to remove the 2 wires for the locking tailgate; getting the pins out proved to be more of a pain than I was expecting and I believe I damaged them a little. Hopefully I can repair them so they will work. Still not sure what the best method is to remove them I guess because I don't really understand how they are retained in the block. The other issue I ran into is that the locking tail gate wires are too short to reach the block they need to go to in the new harness because I installed an aftermarket bumper and had to move the trailer plug. This isn't a big issue as I can extend the wires and it will give me a chance to try and sort out the pins. Any information or advice on how to remove these pins without destroying them would be appreciated. I am using the instructions that came with the kit and Jeepguy's instructions (much better pictures). The factory instructions assume you know or have been trained on these electrical systems.

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saw in the other thread (DIY) that despite the Mopar instructions that the radio plug doesn't have to be depopulated? Anyone understand this issue?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I saw in the other thread (DIY) that despite the Mopar instructions that the radio plug doesn't have to be depopulated? Anyone understand this issue?

You may have to remove the 3 wires from the radio connector when using the official OEM Camera Add-on kit only if that part of factory camera wiring is installed in the vehicle which is specific to your VIN/trim level vs a higner trim level truck with the complete factory wiring installed.
NOTE: 2500's & up may have the wiring in those pins for the optional 3rd Brake light cargo cam (CHMSL) and will need moved for the tailgate camera. See Post 51 for details.
See: 2014 V8 2500 Factory Cam in Mirror w CHMSL Cam in Radio Diagram

In the other DIY (Custom Harness) camera thread (depreciated), Jeepguy1980 was making 2 custom harnesses that duplicated the missing factory wiring. The 1st was a Chassis harness that went from the i550 Tailgate connector (at spare tire) to the i220 (C322 on later schematics) cab connector (behind the frt Lft wheel well) and a 2nd Cab harness that went from the i315 connector (near the brake. Not the same as the C5 BCM connector) to the back of the Radio's C1 connector (The 3 wires).
Ref 1: JeepGuy1980 Camera Harness Schematic by Mpgrimm2.png
Ref 2: Jpg 2013 Spcl Case Ram2500 Camera Harness Schematic by Mpgrimm2.png (DannyMk2 post 912+)

Basically the Official OEM Camera Add-on kit replaces those 2 harnesses and bypasses the i220 and i315 connectors by going through the firewall boot for a more universal/trim level independent install and splices in the Power at the PDC (Power Distribution Center) under the hood and Lin CBC3 signal at the BCM (Turning Lines) vs picking those signals up at the i220 and i315. Electrically, its the same as well as all the other connectors and harnesses at the tailgate.

If you want to see what the factory wiring Schematic for what a higher trim level truck (2013 Laramie) looks like you can see my original post here which includes pictures of the factory connectors with the connector designations (ie i550). You may have already looked at it, but I just went back and added notes/callouts to the pdf schematic for clarification (must D/L, won't show if viewed via MediaFire).

NOTE: Be aware. I noticed that the factory wiring color codes for the higher trim level trucks to not match the Official OEM Camera Add-On Kit's wiring color codes (or jeepguy's color codes) so don't mix it up and make sure you are orientating the connector and pictures correctly so you don't add or remove pins from the wrong spots. Just follow the kit's directions and use the other stuff only as a reference.

Hope that answers your question. Sorry I don't have any more advice for getting the connectors apart. You may be able to practice on the old tailgate harness connectors.

Last edited:

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I greatly appreciate the information; I will review your original post. I noticed that the colors we definitely different. I will hit it hard today and see where I get.

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have the harness routed and connected to the PDC and grounded. I figured out that the 6 wires with pins go into the empty connected that is included with the kit. I am now a little confused as it is telling me to remove "C5 from the body control module", not sure which one this is as nothing under my dash looks like the drawing. I have a white connector and a black connector (attached picture, the back of the black connector is facing the picture). It is then saying to "remove the housing to gain access to the connector blocks". I disconnected both the white and black connector blocks and neither really looked like the picture.

I am "assuming" that the connector I installed from the kit will then connect to the radio harness and go there.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 14 Ram connectors.jpg
    14 Ram connectors.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 907

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE... good news is that I found the connector, bad news is I have no idea of how to get to it. It looks like there is an amp or something that looks like an amp in the way. Have to figure out how to remove that first.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Glad you found the bcm module since the two in your pictures are not plugged into the bcm (the white one in the picture was the i315).
Keep the pictures coming since there really aren't any color pics yet for the 2 official OEM Camera Add-on kits, especially the connectors and splices.

Here's a picture of the BCM layout from TechAuthority for those that need it in the future:

Attachments

• BCM Module Connectors.jpg
    BCM Module Connectors.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,055
Last edited:

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are the connectors, anyone else run into this?

Attachments

• 14 Ram C5 01.jpg
    14 Ram C5 01.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 714
  • 14 Ram C5 02.jpg
    14 Ram C5 02.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 734