HF 89 and 93 Tune Differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I am currently running the 89 custom tune from HF and plan to run my tank empty and start filling up on 93. Just curious to see how many people have run both tunes with both octanes and the differences you've seen going up to 93. I'm in the middle of making a YouTube video about the Trinity performance differences and actually saw better 0-60 and 1/4 miles times with the Perf 87oct canned tune than the 89 custom tune. However the canned tune feels like crap. I prefer the feel of the HF 89, but was expecting better times. I know the 93 will be better just because of the combustion of the 93, and the fact that Sean needs data logs for the 93 to make adjustments for even more performance. I'm just curious to see if anyone else noticed small gains going to 89 and large gains going to 93.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
there must be really poor fuel in ur tank for the Diablo 87 octane can tune to run better than my 89 octane tune. The min recommended fuel per the manual is 89 octane. My 89 octane and the can 87 tune has the same settings from a horsepower perspective (because its designed for 89 octane) so from a power level, the 87 can't be quicker. My 89 tune has far more tq mgmt removed which means by truck physics, its quicker. So I'd say your tests somehow are skew'd. Maybe the fuel is poor.

Last edited:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am currently running the 89 custom tune from HF and plan to run my tank empty and start filling up on 93. Just curious to see how many people have run both tunes with both octanes and the differences you've seen going up to 93. I'm in the middle of making a YouTube video about the Trinity performance differences and actually saw better 0-60 and 1/4 miles times with the Perf 87oct canned tune than the 89 custom tune. However the canned tune feels like crap. I prefer the feel of the HF 89, but was expecting better times. I know the 93 will be better just because of the combustion of the 93, and the fact that Sean needs data logs for the 93 to make adjustments for even more performance. I'm just curious to see if anyone else noticed small gains going to 89 and large gains going to 93.

I am very surprised to hear that (the part about DS 87 tune seeming better than HF 89 tune)... My experience was the opposite. However, the 93 tune is where it's really at. What gas station do you fill up at??

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
there must be really poor fuel in ur tank for the Diablo 87 octane can tune to run better than my 89 octane tune. The min recommended fuel per the manual is 89 octane. My 89 octane and the can 87 tune has the same settings from a horsepower perspective (because its designed for 89 octane) so from a power level, the 87 can't be quicker. My 89 tune has far more tq mgmt removed which means by truck physics, its quicker. So I'd say your tests somehow are skew'd. Maybe the fuel is poor.

I agree that the results are skewed. I had a feeling the results weren't right. I've been running 89 for months now, but I do fill up at different gas stations. It all depends on where I am and what's cheaper. The gas in my tank now is from Kroger. I will put Phillips 66 in today and do another run. Also, the weather last night was about 15 degrees colder than when I tested the canned tune. Will that effect the performance too? Lastly, I ended up loading my original backup onto my computer again after you sent me the custom tunes. I wouldn't think that replacing the backup you received with a new one from the tuner would effect the custom tunes you sent me. Would that actually effect it?

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Alright, so I filled up the tank with Shell 89 because something was going on with Phillips 66. I've been driving around a lot today and running a lot of WOT. I also went ahead and restored the OB to the truck, loaded the custom tunes back onto the tool using the OB that was emailed to Sean, and reloaded the 89 custom tune. I ran another 0-60 and 1/4 mile and I'm still seeing the slower times as before. I don't understand why this is happening. The custom tune should blow the canned 87 tune out of the water, but it's not even matching the canned tune's times. Any ideas?

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems odd to me... On a different note, I would run quality gas on the 93 tune when you get it in. Whether it's a myth or not, my truck has never seen anything but Chevron. :) Also, Sean is on vacation for the next week or so. But I would get the 93 tune in before you worry to much about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yeah, I know he's on vacation, so I plan to switch over to the 93 this weekend and start logging some data to send him next Monday. I was just hoping to upload a video to YouTube showing the gains from a non tuned vehicle, to a canned tunes vehicle, to a HF tunes vehicle. It would seem odd to go from 87 canned to 93 custom. I may just scrap the video all together because I don't want to keep flashing my PCM over and over just for a video.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see. The video would have beem awesome though! Why don't you just do a video of stock tune to HF 93 tune? I think that would be great to see

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
What I may do is go from stock to 89 custom to 93 custom and just leave the canned tunes out of it. That way I can show the gains of the different octanes and just mention that the canned tunes are crap haha.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool. I don't think anyone's that interested in the canned tunes if they're buying a DS.