ST and LT knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am looking to get some custom tunes very soon but....

With your tunes are you seeing the ST and LT knock that we are seeing while at cruising speeds or low RPMs?

I have posted on DS forum about the issue and it has yet to be resolved by DS.

Thanks.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you run the same data log using the stock file? I'd imagine you'd see it there too?

But yes, I do a few things to help minimize (and even eliminate) that. Knock retard is also a defense mechanism to help with poor gas, super hot days, engine load, etc. Don't get "too" caught up in to ensuring that's 0 all the time. Having a couple KR here and there is fine.

OP
OP
TXSport

TXSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the stock tune I logged ZERO ST KR and ZERO LT KR.

I can load the DS modified Stock tune without actually modifying the tune and I get up to 7 ST KR and up to 4.5 LT KR. The problem is that I am looking at is that it happens at 60-70 MPH with the cruise control on or if I slow down as to turn a street corner and give it a little gas after completing the turn to it pings like crazy.
I have tried different gas thinking octane ratings are not what they should be. The fact that it happens with the stock modified tune, the 87 tune, the 91 tune and 93 tune all with 93 octane gas but not the original stock tune leads me to believe that there is an issue with baseline timing.

In my mind you should not hear pinging when giving it partial throttle from a stop or slow roll before giving it enough gas to down shift.

I don't plan on doing heads or anything of that nature. I may go to headers, TB, exhaust, and of course an intake. What tuning plan do you recommend?

Last edited:

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you should definitely not hear anything audible. The preloaded tunes aren't that aggressive at all and with the amount of built in knock retard capabilities it should never get to an audible point. It doesn't sound like yours has a good pcm load, almost sounds like it could be corrupt. I get much more aggressive with my tuning and there's still 0 KR at part throttle

OP
OP
TXSport

TXSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have tuned cars in the past and have not seen an issue like this.
There are several others that are seeing the same issue I am and not just the Ram 1500.

Do you have a tune that you can send if I purchase your tuning package or is it based off one that I have now that you change and send back?

One other item of interest. If I load what they call the "b" rev tune my truck is a 0-60 at 7.23 plus and if I load their "Ci" tune then it drops down to 6.6 plus. Not sure what that is all about. I see LT and ST KR on both revs.

Last edited:

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Email me a log, ur last tune written and original backup file to me at [email protected]

Log about 3 minutes with part throttle and a good WOT run. log :

Ignition : Actual Spark Cyl 1
Miscellaneous : P-Ratio Map
Misfire : KNK ST Retard, knock sensor 1 and 2 volts
Performance : Vehicle speed and engine rpm

OP
OP
TXSport

TXSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will do that first chance I get this afternoon.

OP
OP
TXSport

TXSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everything sent!!

Thanks again for looking at my situation!!

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
replied to ur email. I should be able to take care of it

OP
OP
TXSport

TXSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to post up some results for those still wondering...LOL

The HF tune definitely took care of the ST and LT KR that I was experiencing, at cruising speeds and under WOT, with the canned DS tunes on the Trinity. I did not lose any performance at all in fact gained some!!!!
The shifting is way better than stock or canned DS tunes as well.

I look forward to more bolt-ons so that I may take better advantage of HF's tunes!!

owntheroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey,
Not sure if I should resurrect this post or start a new one. I a DS Trinity tuner in my truck. I only run 91 octane in my truck so I decided to run canned 91 Perf tune. However with this tune I am seeing ST ans LT Retard. I have seen up to 12.50 on the ST and under acceleration I usually see .50 or 1.0 on the LT (have seen 2.0 and 2.50 LT at times).

Is this something I should be concerned about. Should I consider a custom tune, or do you think I may have a bad gas issue? Also, I have not yet got around to putting on a Catch Can. Do you think that may be causing this or do you think a Catch Can is necessary? The truck does have some mods such as a K&N Intake.

Thanks!

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd return to stock, update the tuner, the reload a preloaded tune file. Just in case you have an older firmware version (as that was an issue back in the beginning)

owntheroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok. I'll give that a try. With that being said though, on the stock tune I'm still seeing ST retard of 4 during acceleration. Nothing on LT though

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45