Towing w/custom tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our '12 5.7 1500 4x4 3.92 is used largely for pulling our 7L lb 32' trailer all summer when it's not a school bus doing short trips back and forth to school.
If we get a DS Intune DCX w/custom Hemifever tune (89Octane) would we have to use a higher octane fuel when pulling the trailer, or would 89 always be sufficient?
Thanks Sean!
-K

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 89 octane tune would be fine for towing.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Anything special offered for towing? I'm going to be in the same boat, we'll be towing all year long. New to this platform, so not even sure if shift firmness and things are even done when tuning on this platform. Just curious.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for the most part my tunes are set for towing. For certain HEAVY weights I may have to set a tow specific tune w/ the tq mgmt in place so it doesn't shift so hard when coming up to a stop light and the weight of the trailer is pushing the truck

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Often times the power difference will keep you in the standard shifting configuration. Tow/Haul can still be used for the aggressive heavy weight need if need be. Sometimes a tow specific tune may b needed that has the tq mgmt in place to keep the down shifts from being too firm coming to a stop