1400lb in the back of my 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nrhmarine7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I did not think 800sqft of laminate flooring would weigh so much and I know I technically went over the max amount of pounds but I only went 10 miles and my truck was fine. I never do stuff like that but what if I did and wanted to keep my 1500 what do they sell to up your payload capacity?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I may be wrong, but nothing is really going to up your payload capacity...it is what it is...you can get bolt ons that will make the ride and truck more stable at max payload capacity, but thats about it..

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I'm not sure either, but just be safe if you're over the limit, get in a wreck and they check that, you'll be in a load of crap when they see you're over the limit.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Your limit is what it is there is no changing it
You can get air bags or timbrens to help handle that weight better though

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like they all said, nothing can increase it. Payload capacity is determined from strength of all the parts and what not. So it'd be kind of hard to increase the strength of your bed, frame, ect...

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
what they said, it is what it is. Every component is part of the equation from wheels, tires, frame, to suspension, axles, etc.

Having said that i probably had close to or even a little over 2000 lbs in the back of my truck two weekends ago. I was getting allan blocks for a retaining wall and damn dem ******* are heavy

pd298

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Capacity is capacity, but if you really were going to haul that much in the bed I would get a set of helper bags.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can replace your axle&springs and upgrade your brakes if you would like to increase you payload capacity.

+1 for get a trailer.

OP
OP
N

nrhmarine7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can replace your axle&springs and upgrade your brakes if you would like to increase you payload capacity.

+1 for get a trailer.

Seems like alot of fun but the trailer does seem the way to go. I might get some air bags to help when I do load down the back of my truck. I have a tool box, welder, and cutting torches. I am pretty sure its not over 1000 pounds though

Red 2012 Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Like everyone else said you can't increase your capacity but if you don't do it that often, just add a set of helper springs and you'll be fine. I've got air lift helper springs on mine and they do alot for me with my toy hauler that has 1100lbs of tongue weight.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 64

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Or get a 2500.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins

No you can't.
Your payload is set from the factory, it can't be changed.

There really is nothing illegal about hauling over your payload as long as your not over your registration weight
What will get you is if you have an accident while over GVWR
Your insurance can instantly drop the claim and your are SOL

Get a trailer or get a 2500 of you plan to haul more then your payload will allow often

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No you can't.
Your payload is set from the factory, it can't be changed.

There really is nothing illegal about hauling over your payload as long as your not over your registration weight
What will get you is if you have an accident while over GVWR
Your insurance can instantly drop the claim and your are SOL

Get a trailer or get a 2500 of you plan to haul more then your payload will allow often

I beg to differ. You can change the GVW of a truck I have done it and registered it that way. Please do not correct if you are unsure. Yes it is expensive but it can be done. "Everything is possible if you don't let your wallet hold you back" -Me

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I beg to differ. You can change the GVW of a truck I have done it and registered it that way. Please do not correct if you are unsure. Yes it is expensive but it can be done. "Everything is possible if you don't let your wallet hold you back" -Me

Money is the big thing. At what point is it not worth it anymore. Lol. My damn wallet is killing my mod buzz ;)

OP
OP
N

nrhmarine7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So really how much would new axels and springs cost or should I just get some air bags. After the air bag set up what would be considered to much to drive around with.

TLC John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 RAM 1500
Engine
Hemi
Check out Total Load Control Air Suspension

Total Load Contol is the new air suspension for 4th Gen RAM 1500 that levels every load and improves steering and handling. We just joined RF so you might not have heard about us yet.

Joshwaa, be very interested to learn how to up GVW. Didn't know that could be done. We thought manufacturer's rating can't be changed.