1500 vs 2500 hemis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wchnu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why would anyone buy a 2500 and above without the Diesel engine??
If you can do it with the 5.7 then just get bags in the rear on a 1500 and save the money.

If you need a 2500 then you need the diesel.
It is a waste otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Intetesting thought. The Hemi seems to more then enough engine for a 2500. I guess if you need the torque of the diesel it might be a better choice. But seems like for most things the Hemi is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I really appreciate and am impressed with the massive load carrying capacity and tow ratings on the newer "half ton" trucks. They would have **** out the transmissions and running gear on one ton trucks not so long ago.

But, MAX load / tow ratings are bumped for sales. What something can haul once to post an impressive figure and paint the picture of a heavy duty truck is one thing. What the vehicle can safely and reliably haul day in day out, is another thing. And at what cost... mechanically over the lifetime of the machine.

I am all for Over-Kill 99% of the time. Like having Four Wheel Drive. If one can afford it, why not have the peace of mind, even though it rarely gets used. If one were on a very strict budget, then that is one thing. We all get along with what we can -or try to- afford.

But, I would much rather have the option of pulling a lever and driving myself off the soft sandy shoulder of a highway, than calling a tow truck. That is just the tip of the iceberg. Same philosophy; I would much rather operate well within the parameters, not overstressing a machine. Why worry about cooling, cooking bearings, smoking brakes or burning up transmissions, etc running right at, or above the limits of a machine.

Getting back on track, the engine is just ONE piece of the puzzle. As stated before, there are things you just get with a 3/4 ton vs a 1/2 ton besides the powerplant. Such as the solid axle vs a IRS front end on the 4x4 models, just to name one more item.

In some peoples eyes, my 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 is the same as my 2500 4x4 Power Wagon, just because they use the same displacement gas motor. They couldn't be any further from the truth. One trip down the road will tell you that, loaded or empty. We are no longer in the age of a 250 Hp Small Block gas motor, stuck married to a 3 Speed Auto. With the Hp/Tq these modern gas engines put out, combined with the ability to run deep rear end gears and STILL have solid overdrive for freeway cruising due to the benefits of the modern Six or Eight speed transmissions, why not? They are quiet, smooth, require less maintenance, get decent fuel mileage, can run regular grade gas, don't mind being started and stopped repeatedly in town doing short hops and are lasting several hundreds of thousands of miles, unlike the average over worked small block v-8's of twenty years ago. Plus, the Dodge 5.7 Hemi may be the "Chevy Small Block" of our day.... they are being put in everything, have been around long enough now that all the bugs are worked out, and for those coming up on the second and third hand vehicle (do it yourself territory) parts availability and pricing is going to be about as easy on the brain and the wallet as it is going to get.

True, if I were hauling a huge 5th wheel or triple axle horse trailer, or hauling mega miles either personally or as a commercial vehicle, the Cummins would clearly be the better choice. But, for what MOST people by far, haul, tow, pull or in the amount of hours or miles they log, rarely do they really need that Huge capability, other than for perhaps bragging rights.

There is nothing wrong with a 2500 powered by a 5.7, and especially not the 6.4 Hemi gas motors, when equipped with the proper gears and other towing type options.

Around here, even in our harsh conditions, the vast majority of 2500 or 3500 pick ups with the Cummins just cruise around empty, hauling kids or dogs around. I don't' see a real need for 800 ft/lbs or the buckboard ride of either of those trucks when not being used for what they were designed for.

Another big plus for the Power Wagon. Gas motor, soft riding 3/4 ton platform, but it has the strength and capability for when it is needed. Best of both worlds IMHO.

I'd pay for the Power Wagon option over the Diesel mark up any day of the week. That may just be me. But, there is some sense in it.

Even when I bought the truck, the salesman looked at me awful funny when he noticed the 5.7 Hemi fender badge tag on it. Some people just don't get it. And that is fine by me. To each his own. But, in NO WAY is a gas motor inappropriate in these trucks.

Having been in Law Enforcement for the last 25 years, I have seen a lot of American Made V-8, rear wheel drive platforms come and go. In the last Five or more years, I have personally operated and witnessed the abuse the 5.7 Hemi Chargers go through. Things NO ONE would ever put a personally owned vehicle through. From cold starts to running wide open throttle for extended periods, to idling for 12+ Hrs at a time in everything from triple digit heat to freezing temps. Even with just a little common sense, compassion and regular maintenance, these things should last a good long time.

It may be odd to be running at what feels like a gear too low... they like to rev along when under a load, and they do feel a little "soft" on the bottom end in regards to torque. But, they soak it right up. I've pulled the 'Baker Grade' outside Las Vegas all loaded up in 118 Deg and the truck never even wimpered, the fluid temps all barely fluctuated and it never smelled, burned or dripped a drop. Once you get used to the Revvy feel of it, and it shifting and doing it's computer controlled thing, it is all good. I imagine the new 6.4 will be even better, having fixed that soft off idle, with a little more torque, and the re-introduction of the cylinder deactivation feature, the mileage will probably be right at the same, if not better than the current motor.

OK, enough out of me. It's all about opinion and perception. Some people will never be convinced or will even try it. But, they are really missing out.

:Rant:

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why would anyone buy a 2500 and above without the Diesel engine??
If you can do it with the 5.7 then just get bags in the rear on a 1500 and save the money.

If you need a 2500 then you need the diesel.
It is a waste otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I disagree.
My 1500 5.7 has plenty of power to pull what I have. I'm not going to say "it pulls like the trailer's not even there" like some do, but it doesn't strain or run hot at all.
Some loads may need more frame and brakes in front of them, not more power. Yeah, the 6.4 would be nice but I really just need more TRUCK in front of my trailer. More power is a different discussion altogether, not always the same one IMO.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I really appreciate and am impressed with the massive load carrying capacity and tow ratings on the newer "half ton" trucks. They would have **** out the transmissions and running gear on one ton trucks not so long ago.

But, MAX load / tow ratings are bumped for sales. What something can haul once to post an impressive figure and paint the picture of a heavy duty truck is one thing. What the vehicle can safely and reliably haul day in day out, is another thing. And at what cost... mechanically over the lifetime of the machine.

I am all for Over-Kill 99% of the time. Like having Four Wheel Drive. If one can afford it, why not have the peace of mind, even though it rarely gets used. If one were on a very strict budget, then that is one thing. We all get along with what we can -or try to- afford.

But, I would much rather have the option of pulling a lever and driving myself off the soft sandy shoulder of a highway, than calling a tow truck. That is just the tip of the iceberg. Same philosophy; I would much rather operate well within the parameters, not overstressing a machine. Why worry about cooling, cooking bearings, smoking brakes or burning up transmissions, etc running right at, or above the limits of a machine.

Getting back on track, the engine is just ONE piece of the puzzle. As stated before, there are things you just get with a 3/4 ton vs a 1/2 ton besides the powerplant. Such as the solid axle vs a IRS front end on the 4x4 models, just to name one more item.

In some peoples eyes, my 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 is the same as my 2500 4x4 Power Wagon, just because they use the same displacement gas motor. They couldn't be any further from the truth. One trip down the road will tell you that, loaded or empty. We are no longer in the age of a 250 Hp Small Block gas motor, stuck married to a 3 Speed Auto. With the Hp/Tq these modern gas engines put out, combined with the ability to run deep rear end gears and STILL have solid overdrive for freeway cruising due to the benefits of the modern Six or Eight speed transmissions, why not? They are quiet, smooth, require less maintenance, get decent fuel mileage, can run regular grade gas, don't mind being started and stopped repeatedly in town doing short hops and are lasting several hundreds of thousands of miles, unlike the average over worked small block v-8's of twenty years ago. Plus, the Dodge 5.7 Hemi may be the "Chevy Small Block" of our day.... they are being put in everything, have been around long enough now that all the bugs are worked out, and for those coming up on the second and third hand vehicle (do it yourself territory) parts availability and pricing is going to be about as easy on the brain and the wallet as it is going to get.

True, if I were hauling a huge 5th wheel or triple axle horse trailer, or hauling mega miles either personally or as a commercial vehicle, the Cummins would clearly be the better choice. But, for what MOST people by far, haul, tow, pull or in the amount of hours or miles they log, rarely do they really need that Huge capability, other than for perhaps bragging rights.

There is nothing wrong with a 2500 powered by a 5.7, and especially not the 6.4 Hemi gas motors, when equipped with the proper gears and other towing type options.

Around here, even in our harsh conditions, the vast majority of 2500 or 3500 pick ups with the Cummins just cruise around empty, hauling kids or dogs around. I don't' see a real need for 800 ft/lbs or the buckboard ride of either of those trucks when not being used for what they were designed for.

Another big plus for the Power Wagon. Gas motor, soft riding 3/4 ton platform, but it has the strength and capability for when it is needed. Best of both worlds IMHO.

I'd pay for the Power Wagon option over the Diesel mark up any day of the week. That may just be me. But, there is some sense in it.

Even when I bought the truck, the salesman looked at me awful funny when he noticed the 5.7 Hemi fender badge tag on it. Some people just don't get it. And that is fine by me. To each his own. But, in NO WAY is a gas motor inappropriate in these trucks.

Having been in Law Enforcement for the last 25 years, I have seen a lot of American Made V-8, rear wheel drive platforms come and go. In the last Five or more years, I have personally operated and witnessed the abuse the 5.7 Hemi Chargers go through. Things NO ONE would ever put a personally owned vehicle through. From cold starts to running wide open throttle for extended periods, to idling for 12+ Hrs at a time in everything from triple digit heat to freezing temps. Even with just a little common sense, compassion and regular maintenance, these things should last a good long time.

It may be odd to be running at what feels like a gear too low... they like to rev along when under a load, and they do feel a little "soft" on the bottom end in regards to torque. But, they soak it right up. I've pulled the 'Baker Grade' outside Las Vegas all loaded up in 118 Deg and the truck never even wimpered, the fluid temps all barely fluctuated and it never smelled, burned or dripped a drop. Once you get used to the Revvy feel of it, and it shifting and doing it's computer controlled thing, it is all good. I imagine the new 6.4 will be even better, having fixed that soft off idle, with a little more torque, and the re-introduction of the cylinder deactivation feature, the mileage will probably be right at the same, if not better than the current motor.

OK, enough out of me. It's all about opinion and perception. Some people will never be convinced or will even try it. But, they are really missing out.

:Rant:

Sir you hit it right on the nail head and thank you for your service, be safe.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The 2500 would "technically" be better, but don't forget to think about all of the times that you will be riding around empty and unhitched. If you're buying a 3/4 ton to haul a trailer that size 2 or 3 times a year, it may be more than you need depending on TT length, and no matter how plush they try to make the ride- it's still going to ride like a 3/4 ton. I went with a 1/2 ton since its my DD and a 3/4 ton doesn't make sense for my needs although technically I should have one for payload. My TT is only 26' and 5200-5300 travel weight.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I hear what you are saying. Most purchase what they WANT , not what they NEED. And, most of the time, it works out.

I know the OP was not talking about the Power Wagon, but I just can't help crowing about how nice this truck rides. I've had previous 1 and 3/4 ton trucks from '86-'96 , and know how sucky a buckboard ride was on these previous rigs.

But, I prefer to ride in my (2500) Power Wagon (firm, but plush with no kick) than even my wife's stone stock '07 1500 4x4 with almost 100k on it to soften it up.

If someone were looking to buy, while out shopping, try and find a Power Wagon on the lot (if you can) and just take a spin in it, back to back with another 2500, gasser or diesel. I bet you would be shocked. I was. And I signed on the dotted line right there.

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I hear what you are saying. Most purchase what they WANT , not what they NEED. And, most of the time, it works out.

I know the OP was not talking about the Power Wagon, but I just can't help crowing about how nice this truck rides. I've had previous 1 and 3/4 ton trucks from '86-'96 , and know how sucky a buckboard ride was on these previous rigs.

But, I prefer to ride in my (2500) Power Wagon (firm, but plush with no kick) than even my wife's stone stock '07 1500 4x4 with almost 100k on it to soften it up.

If someone were looking to buy, while out shopping, try and find a Power Wagon on the lot (if you can) and just take a spin in it, back to back with another 2500, gasser or diesel. I bet you would be shocked. I was. And I signed on the dotted line right there.

I really wanted to take one out! But I knew if I did it would have been in my driveway and my wife would NOT have been a happy girl considering she hated how high my F150 sat. So you're totally right. Want vs. Need. I NEED to stay married LOL!

The PW is kind of the exception. I think the suspension is a little more forgiving for offroad play which really helps the day to day ride. I do a lot of highway though, so just wasn't the right fit unfortunately :(

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
:emotions133:

Completely Understood! Lol. People have sort of commented, after either having to climb up, or "fall" out of the truck about it's height. Once in, everything is cool. When rolling, the ride height issue disappears. And mine is stock.

I just can't say enough about what the Design Team was able to accomplish in the ride quality of this truck. It's flexible off highway, smooth and controlled on the road, either empty or loaded up towing.

They hit the balance just right.

I forget people are including 2WD's in this conversation... all the trucks I ever see out here in my neck of the woods are 4x4, especially the heavier duty ones.

Last edited: