2012 Integrated brake control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012BlueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my old Dodge ram, I did not have an integrated brake controller for my horse trailer with electric brakes. And the controller I had installed was not the kind that displayed numbers (rather just had slide controls to increase/decrease gain). Anyway, now that I have the integrated brake controller, I was advised to set it to heavy electric (horse trailer is a bumper pull, 2 horse probably around 2800# empty). In any event, I'm not sure how to set my controller. I was told years ago, let the truck coast/drift -- play around with the gain until the trailer stops the truck. I'm not 100% sure this is correct. The owners manual doesn't discuss settings like this. Also, what does it mean when I'm applying the brake and it goes 10, 20, 30...? Is that the boost? Any advice on setting it correctly? I do NOT want the trailer to stop the truck, nor do I want the truck to do all the braking.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I set mine by getting it all moving about 20 mph, then let off the gas and manually hit the brake controller. If I feel the trailer brakes engage good and the rig starts stopping, that is good for me, cuz I know when I hit the brakes on the truck, they will work together.

It is a preference thing, some want it to hit hard, I just want to know the trailer brakes are actually engaging.

The numbers are the amount of boost applied to the trailer brakes

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I set mine by getting it all moving about 20 mph, then let off the gas and manually hit the brake controller. If I feel the trailer brakes engage good and the rig starts stopping, that is good for me, cuz I know when I hit the brakes on the truck, they will work together.

It is a preference thing, some want it to hit hard, I just want to know the trailer brakes are actually engaging.

The numbers are the amount of boost applied to the trailer brakes

^^This is basically it.