2013 1500 aftermarket brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

karneygreg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So after a lot of research on this issue, I went ahead and purchased a Tekonsha 3023-P wiring adapter to use with my Tekonsha Envoy brake controller. I got the controller mounted and connected both plugs under the dash according to the instructions.

I have no problem manually actuating the trailer brakes, but the controller isn't getting the brake signal from the truck.

Anyone else have this experience? Tekonsha said I could use the Envoy controller, but the tech seemed a little tentative. Might just need to update to a newer version.

Any and all help appreciated.

cashin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you get the wiring harness you need to hook up the aftermarket controller? Search for thread on it in the forum you will find a ton of stuff

OP
OP
K

karneygreg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It turns out that I have a bad brake controller. Off to the parts store in the morning for a new one. I did have voltage on the brake signal wire, but the controller wasn't actuating.

The required 3023-P wiring adapter from Tekonsha has a diode in the brake signal wire to prevent the controller from backfeeding the truck with 12V. The diode will present an open circuit if you have the polarity of your multi-meter backwards when testing for continuity. In the correct polarity, the diode shows a resistance of approx 600 Ohms.

Another note: DO NOT use the 3021-P wiring adapter as the prong in the vehicle connector plug assigned to the brake signal wire is always hot when the ignition key is on. This could smoke your on board computer, your controller, or your trailer brakes as the controller would be in a constant on condition.

Be careful as all of the local dealers in my area were NOT up to speed on the Tekonsha bulletin with the updated part number. A few of them tried to sell me the 3021-P as it as marked 2010-Current. Well, current was 2012. The 2013 must use the 3023-P.

Good luck to everyone getting their aftermarket controllers installed. Forget the factory junk and get a good controller.

Brake Controllers - Tekonsha

1967dart406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tekonsha p3 prodigy, excellent investment on my part

aplineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I can run a p3 with a 3023-P harness on a 2014? And it won't cause my truck to throw any codes?

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tekonsha is tough to beat.

scottie d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I can run a p3 with a 3023-P harness on a 2014? And it won't cause my truck to throw any codes?

I just put one in my 2013. Plug and play no codes. Luv it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk