2013 RAM 1500 4x4 Crew Cab towing question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TednWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know these questions have been asked a gazillion times. I need an answer from the experts.

I have a 2013 RAM 1500 4x4 Tradesman Crew Cab with 3.55 gears.

Owners manual says it'll tow 10000# max. When I go to RAM's web site and type in VIN, it says 8600# max towing.

I'm wanting a travel trailer that weighs 6775# dry. If you keep within the "80% of max tow weight" rule of thumb, that's 6880# I should keep trailer at or under if using the 8600# tow rating RAM site says with my VIN. Leaves 105# to put in camper!

Another thing that has me freakin' pissed about is the sticker on the door says the combined weight of cargo and passengers should never exceed 1369#. If that's the case, the damn tongue weight of trailer is 600+#, I'm around 220#, wife + son + firewood + cooler + whatever else in back would mean I'm way over weight.

I want someone to tell me if they have pulled a 6500#-7000# camper with the same truck I have. Gears, crew cab...everything the same.

I wanted to get this camper tomorrow or Friday, I gotta get up for work at 5am (it's 11pm now) and I'm about to pull my hair out reading all this sh*t!!! If only they all said the same thing, it'd be easier to make a decision!!

HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! :flame:

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
This is my set up. TrAiler weighs 6700# and my truck is even lifted with 35" tires. Still pulls well. Do wish I got better gas mileage obviously but it gets the job done

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know these questions have been asked a gazillion times. I need an answer from the experts.

I have a 2013 RAM 1500 4x4 Tradesman Crew Cab with 3.55 gears.

Owners manual says it'll tow 10000# max. When I go to RAM's web site and type in VIN, it says 8600# max towing.

I'm wanting a travel trailer that weighs 6775# dry. If you keep within the "80% of max tow weight" rule of thumb, that's 6880# I should keep trailer at or under if using the 8600# tow rating RAM site says with my VIN. Leaves 105# to put in camper!

Another thing that has me freakin' pissed about is the sticker on the door says the combined weight of cargo and passengers should never exceed 1369#. If that's the case, the damn tongue weight of trailer is 600+#, I'm around 220#, wife + son + firewood + cooler + whatever else in back would mean I'm way over weight.

I want someone to tell me if they have pulled a 6500#-7000# camper with the same truck I have. Gears, crew cab...everything the same.

I wanted to get this camper tomorrow or Friday, I gotta get up for work at 5am (it's 11pm now) and I'm about to pull my hair out reading all this sh*t!!! If only they all said the same thing, it'd be easier to make a decision!!

HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! :flame:

Hate to tell ya, but even IF someone else has done it......if you are overweight, you can get in some serious trouble.

Yes, payload is about right......towing, well, the manual is for the basic configuration, but it doesn't take into account all accessories, cuz all those fancy extras add weight. It also doesn't account for gearing (at least mine doesn't).

My O/M for my Laramie says I can tow 9850, and my cargo can be 1610, the RAM towing chart says 1278 for payload & 9800 towing. I think the door on my truck says 12 something for cargo (don't remember the actual # right now).

Go by the door, as that's what the guy who can give you a ticket will go by.

My camper is ~ 6500 lbs, and tongue weight is 700 or so lbs. I still have a couple hundred to go when I tow it, as I am not carrying anything in the bed of the truck that weighs more than 50 or so lbs.

If you have several people, and other stuff, yeah, you can get overweight fast.

For your situation, the only answer, legally, is a smaller camper or a bigger truck.

Last edited:

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Man, I mean, damn. We're gonna tell you the truck can do it. And we're gonna tell you "yer right, yer gonna be over payload." AND it won't make the decision any easier. The list of "but I thought I had enough truck" owners on here is long and distinguished and it sucks a sour melon that it has to be that way. But the facts are these: you know what yer payload sticker says and you have to be the one to judge how comfortable you are towing in and around (and over, maybe) those numbers. I'm sorry for your situation and I've run a half ton CC at and over sticker values across most of the US and Canada (east of the Mississippi). Godspeed, brother.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TednWV

TednWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
**UPDATE**

I forgot I have a friend that works at a Dodge dealership now. I have been talking to him. He confirmed my 8600# max tow rating.He said sticker for payload is wrong though. I am at 1900# according to VIN.

He said I can tow around 7400# safely. He also said that RAM under rates the trucks by about 1,000# so people don't push it. He said he wouldn't be afraid to tow 8,000# if it was him. He has a 4.7l Sequoia and tows a 27ft camper easily. He didn't tell me the weight of the camper though.

He's going to run more numbers through computer at work tomorrow and give me more details. I'll update tomorrow evening.

Thanks guys!

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, your friend can tell you the moon is made of cheese, but it won't keep you from getting a ticket if stopped.

We ALL know they under-rate them...but you still have to go by the posted numbers.

They do this crap all over the place for many reasons. By the coast guard rules, my bass boat can handle a 200 hp motor (mine is actually rated for 200). But when the boat maker saw too many people buying boats like mine w/200 hp instead of the more expensive bigger ones, they put a smaller HP rating sticker on the hull, even tho NOTHING changed to warrant it. This was a pure money making thing. The hull, by coast guard rules, can still handle a 200, but get caught with a 200 on it when the hull says 150 or 175, & you will be a lot lighter in the wallet.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Go by the door, as that's what the guy who can give you a ticket will go by.

There's generally good information so far but I have to somewhat object to this. I say "somewhat" because the door sticker is the end all for what YOUR truck is rated to tow but this idea that there is some authority out there is complete BS.

I've been hanging around RV forums for 15+ years and the weight police have a huge bark but no bite. There are no tickets issued to private parties hauling travel trailers around (there probably should be but that's a topic for another thread). If you're ever in an accident it's often threatened that you "could" get in trouble but even that is pretty much unheard of for the private sector. On a commercial basis I agree the pounds must add up and heads roll. But if every guy in a 1/2 ton truck towing over his GVWR was getting tickets our nation wouldn't be 20 trillion dollars in debt.

My point is set things up correctly for you and your family's safety. Just don't fear you're going to get a ticket for being a few pounds over weight.

One last note - the OP states his weight @ 220#. Look up the info to be sure but +/- 180# of that is already accounted for in the weight rating. The manufacturer is nice enough to concede that it takes and adult human to drive the truck down the road. I'm sure once Google gets the auto-driven vehicles going that will go away and they can brag about a 10,180# tow rating :)

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's generally good information so far but I have to somewhat object to this. I say "somewhat" because the door sticker is the end all for what YOUR truck is rated to tow but this idea that there is some authority out there is complete BS.

I've been hanging around RV forums for 15+ years and the weight police have a huge bark but no bite. There are no tickets issued to private parties hauling travel trailers around (there probably should be but that's a topic for another thread). If you're ever in an accident it's often threatened that you "could" get in trouble but even that is pretty much unheard of for the private sector. On a commercial basis I agree the pounds must add up and heads roll. But if every guy in a 1/2 ton truck towing over his GVWR was getting tickets our nation wouldn't be 20 trillion dollars in debt.

My point is set things up correctly for you and your family's safety. Just don't fear you're going to get a ticket for being a few pounds over weight.

One last note - the OP states his weigh @ 220#. Look up the info to be sure but +/- 180# of that is already accounted for in the weight rating. The manufacturer is nice enough to concede that it takes and adult human to drive the truck down the road. I'm sure once Google gets the auto-driven vehicles going that will go away and they can brag about a 10,180# tow rating :)

I never said he WILL get a ticket...but that if he gets stopped, he could. Just because you don't know of it happening, doesn't mean it hasn't or won't. Ticket or insurance - either one.

As for bark vs bite...I know a few people who would disagree with ya on that point.

The door sticker is what they go by. If you follow the limits they go by, you should be good.

I have to disagree with what you are saying tho, because it sounds to me like you're set it up right and as long as you are comfortable with it, don't worry about what the law says.

Remember, if the speed limit is 55, 56 is breaking the law.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
There are no tickets issued to private parties hauling travel trailers around (there probably should be but that's a topic for another thread). If you're ever in an accident it's often threatened that you "could" get in trouble but even that is pretty much unheard of for the private sector.

From reading the various RV forums, tow weights and payload weights are enforced by state. Some states don't care and other states enforce. Some states, Florida for example, if you cause an accident and are over weight (tow weight or payload) you will be looking at a felony.

With most manufactures now rating their towing abilities against J2807 standards, we know how much weight the vehicle can safely tow. The placard on the drivers' door jam tells us how much cargo weight the truck can safely carry. I say safely because if in an accident, my fault or not, and my being over capacity causes injury or death, that is something I'm not willing to live with. I hope the folks I share the road with feel the same.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Your truck can tow it. Whether it tows it safely is up to you. I suggest you pick up the trailer and only have you in the truck on the ride home. Get the trailer loaded with just about everything you'd take on a trip. Substitute food and such with sand bags. Load the truck up with all your gear and family. Head on down to the CAT scales and get her weighed. Here you can dial in your weight load between trailer and truck, with and without WDH. Get everything dialed in as best you can.

And with pushing the limits of your truck I strongly suggest getting some at least D, if not E rated tires on the truck, and at least D rated tires on the camper right away. Plus you are going to need some type of air bags, like the Air Lift 1000, for the truck rear coils unless you like it to forever bounce while towing.

Might also suggest the Hellwig rear sway bar for the truck.

And don't go cheap on a WDH. No Eaz-Lift cheap ass WDH. Get a Husky Centerliine (non-TS), Equal-I-Zer 4 point, Blue Ox SwayPro, Reese Straight Line.

Kincer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this doesn't help in your decision now but may help in the future, I'm a big fan of doing overkill on the things I need, for instance when I bought my new Ram 1500 I was looking at 2500 and 3500s just because I liked how they looked but after doing some real life thinking I realized I'm only going to be towing a utility trailer with a quad or home improvement supplies and for that even the 1500 is overkill for what I'm doing, but if I had any thoughts what so ever of towing a camper it would have been at least a 2500 but more likely a 3500 but that's just me I always get more than I need. I say stick to the trucks numbers if it makes You more comfortable then there will be no problem if something happens.

OP
OP
TednWV

TednWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My buddy at the dealership ran all numbers on my truck.

GVWR - 6800#
Payload - 1430#
I weighed truck today. It weighed 5250# with about 1/8th - 1/4 tank of gas.
Then he gave me a number of 14150# for max weight of truck + camper and any payload allowed. ??

Weight distribution hitch is rated for 1200#. It also says to put 10% of trailer weight on hitch.

Trailer weighs roughly 6875# with full propane and battery. No cargo.

OP
OP
TednWV

TednWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is my set up. TrAiler weighs 6700# and my truck is even lifted with 35" tires. Still pulls well. Do wish I got better gas mileage obviously but it gets the job done
You mean your truck is same as mine except it's lifted and bigger tires? (Year, crew cab.. everything the same?)

6700# is dry weight or fully loaded?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6850 for the trailer empty of cargo. Figure another 500-600# of cargo, pots/pans, dishes, silverware, food, bedding, toiletries, clothes. Maybe more. Now you're up to like 7400#. I always go with 12% tongue weight. You'll need to make multiple passes at the scales to get your load balanced right. But, that's like 890# tongue weight. That leaves you with 540# payload for passengers, fuel and cargo.

You're pretty much at the limit for that trucks capabilities.

But, so am I. lol I don't load anything in my truck other than fuel and passenger. Tires maxed to 44 PSI.

OP
OP
TednWV

TednWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6850 for the trailer empty of cargo. Figure another 500-600# of cargo, pots/pans, dishes, silverware, food, bedding, toiletries, clothes. Maybe more. Now you're up to like 7400#. I always go with 12% tongue weight. You'll need to make multiple passes at the scales to get your load balanced right. But, that's like 890# tongue weight. That leaves you with 540# payload for passengers, fuel and cargo.

You're pretty much at the limit for that trucks capabilities.

But, so am I. lol I don't load anything in my truck other than fuel and passenger. Tires maxed to 44 PSI.
The camper I have now doesn't have that much in it. Doubt I'll put more in it with new one?

We use paper plates, cups, plastic silverware...things like that to throw away. Only thing staying in camper will be blankets, pillows and toiletries.

Thanks for you reply!

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
You mean your truck is same as mine except it's lifted and bigger tires? (Year, crew cab.. everything the same?)

6700# is dry weight or fully loaded?

Yep truck is same setup but I am lifted with 35" tires. 6700# is the dry weight of the trailer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963