2013 Ram 1500 integrated trailer brake controller installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

helidump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 Ram 1500 integrated trailer brake controller installation questions

Hello all,

I'm a newb on this forum and I just bought a 2013 Ram 1500 ST with the 5.7 Hemi and the towing package but with no integrated trailer brake controller installed. When I bought it I figured I could just add an aftermarket controller later but I just found out that might not be an option right now due to the new "powernet" multiplex wiring on the truck. Doing a bit of research on the interweb I have found various confusing and conflicting stories of how to install brake controllers on the 2013 trucks. My main problem is where are the connectors for the factory module and if I don't have them what do I do? Does anyone have a picture of what the connectors look like and where they are on a 2013 Ram? I am going in to the dealer on Tuesday so I was going to ask them then but I wanted to get some information first so they don't try and sell me a controller that won't fit on my truck without some more expensive wiring harnesses and computer upgrades. Has anyone heard of an aftermarket brake controller that has a harness compatible with the 2013 Ram? The Tekonsha Website shows 3 different harnesses for the 2013 Ram 1500 but from what I found out there is a tech bulletin from Tekonsha saying that aftermarket wiring can damage the vehicles electrical system. Has this been worked out yet?

Thanks

Richard

Last edited:

New2Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am wondering this same thing, subscribed to hear the replies.
Thanks

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Wow, I would check the dealer.

tprice9427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all,

I'm a newb on this forum and I just bought a 2013 Ram 1500 ST with the 5.7 Hemi and the towing package but with no integrated trailer brake controller installed. When I bought it I figured I could just add an aftermarket controller later but I just found out that might not be an option right now due to the new "powernet" multiplex wiring on the truck. Doing a bit of research on the interweb I have found various confusing and conflicting stories of how to install brake controllers on the 2013 trucks. My main problem is where are the connectors for the factory module and if I don't have them what do I do? Does anyone have a picture of what the connectors look like and where they are on a 2013 Ram? I am going in to the dealer on Tuesday so I was going to ask them then but I wanted to get some information first so they don't try and sell me a controller that won't fit on my truck without some more expensive wiring harnesses and computer upgrades. Has anyone heard of an aftermarket brake controller that has a harness compatible with the 2013 Ram? The Tekonsha Website shows 3 different harnesses for the 2013 Ram 1500 but from what I found out there is a tech bulletin from Tekonsha saying that aftermarket wiring can damage the vehicles electrical system. Has this been worked out yet?

Thanks

Richard

I just ordered a integrated trailer brake controller from the dealer the other day. I have 2013 ram big horn the vehicle is pre-wired. I choose to let them do the work for warranty issues ( if they mess it up they are responsible to fix it). I did not want to use a 3rd party stuff on new vehicle, but that is just me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
2013/Big Horn/SLT/V8/Hemi/5.7

Bombdigitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard and read that you cannot use aftermarket as you stated.

With the new mounting location in the 2013's, its tough to say where the wiring might be, but its probably near by. Dealer should know for sure.

OP
OP
H

helidump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies so far. When I picked my truck up on Tuesday the dealership was just about closed so I never asked. I am planning on phoning them today to see what the deal is.

OP
OP
H

helidump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks redneckstylin! Hey you live in pg too, where did you get the controller?

jbowen52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I found the two wiring connectors for the integrated brake controller tucked up behind the ignition switch. They are easily seen and wrapped in foam to prevent rattling. The controller is on eBay for around $183, but apparently needs to have the computer system updated to activate it. I may have the dealer do it.

aplineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Etrailer. com has everything you need. I just bought a 14 and installed a p2. They are great people to deal with.

Joebombero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know how to remove the blank where the OEM controller switch goes? Wondering if I have to take console trim off to access it

Richo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Hemi
Engine
Thanks "The Crow", very helpful. Just installed a Curt Class 5 hitch and need a controller. This looks easy!

The Crow 1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.
Thanks "The Crow", very helpful. Just installed a Curt Class 5 hitch and need a controller. This looks easy!

The only problem I had was getting the module bracket installed. I was only able to get two out of the three screws installed, but there's no way it'll come loose. It's solid as a rock inside the dash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn