2013 Trailer Brake controller - In a bind and need help fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Der2z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram express
Engine
Hey guys.

I have a 2013 ram 1500 express and I need to install a trailer brake controller. I was going to install the factory one and have the dealership flash the computer but they can't do it Saturday morning and I have to go get a trailer this Sunday.

Here on my questions.

If I install the factory brake controller, will it work but just not show up on the dash?

Can I purchase an aftermarket on from like Oriellys or Auto Zone and splice the wires under the dash?

Thanks for your help in advance!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys.

I have a 2013 ram 1500 express and I need to install a trailer brake controller. I was going to install the factory one and have the dealership flash the computer but they can't do it Saturday morning and I have to go get a trailer this Sunday.

Here on my questions.

If I install the factory brake controller, will it work but just not show up on the dash?

Can I purchase an aftermarket on from like Oriellys or Auto Zone and splice the wires under the dash?

Thanks for your help in advance!

The theory is the brake controller will work, but it will not show on the EVIC.
I do not know this for fact.

I would stick with the factory unit or a nice Tekonosha (Can't spell today).
The generic $50 at AutoMart ones are junk.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, the autozone ones suck. The Tekonsha - Prodigy are the best out there. In fact, over on the RV forums, I've seen several people that have factory controllers switch them to the Prodigy P2 or P3. With the the Prodigy you can get the Ram cable and it plugs right in without a dealer flash needed.

Of course, I do understand people wanting the stock look of the OEM controller though. I really hate paying a dealer $100 for a 10 minute flash on any of the OEM components. It's such a rip-off.

Ray

OP
OP
Der2z

Der2z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram express
Engine
I ordered the prodigy 2 and harness. Are the wires right under the pedals?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think they are over the pedals behind the dash panel

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered the prodigy 2 and harness. Are the wires right under the pedals?

Take a look at that last link I posted and look at all the pictures. It shows the connectors under the dash so you can see what they look like and where they are. Oh and the P2 is a nice controller. I have that one myself.

Ray

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Now return that one and do the factory one :)

aplineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can anyone reply on how the p2 or p3 works with the new ram? Is everyone satisfied? My dealership is trying to talk me out of an aftermarket one, but 160$ for as good if not better controller is better than 350$ for the factory one installed.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the P2 and like it very much. In fact, I removed it from my old Chevy when I traded it for the Ram to use it there.

I know nothing looks better than OEM, but I can tell you that if you follow the RV forums, Prodigy is hands down the most popular and most recommended.

Now having said that, the OEM Ram brake controller may be just as good. One thing you get with the OEM brake controller is the settings and all display on your EVIC if you have that option. It sounds like a nice option. The OEM controllers have come a long way in the last 5-10 years.

Ray

Last edited:

UPNO4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie , 2023 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8spd, 6.7 CTD
I added the Factory one to mine and it is great. Yes it costs more but it also ties in to the ABS System for some added sway control. Prodigy is a great controller so you can't go wrong with that one either. I just wanted the cleaner look.

aplineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I also like the idea of being able to take it out of my truck and put it only wife's SUV. Thanks for the input.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ordered my prodigy 3 today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk