2014 Class IV hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was looking under the rear bumper of a Laramie Crew 4x4 Ecodiesel on the dealers lot yesterday and there is most of a platform trailer hitch on it in behind the bumper, it is the curved tube from frame to frame but it looks like you would have to order another piece to bolt to this welded assembly to form the rest of the receiver.

QUESTION ... are all Rams coming in with that on them regardless of whether a platform Class IV has been spec'd on the order sheet

I have a 2005 Chevy SSR and they were like that in that they all came with the hitch already under the bumper facia, all you had to do was buy the special casting that fit up into it and had a hitch (for about $350 as I recall)

the reason I ask is that Chrysler wants $395 for the hitch when ordering and I wonder if all you get is a little welded box that you bolt to most of an existing hitch assembly that is already there ?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
They all come with that as far as I know. My 06 had the same thing. My 14 was equipped with the reciver already on there. I added the reciver to my 06 it was 3 bolts if I remember correctly. They make the direct bolt on reciver and it is a reasonable price I think like 80-100 bucks and took about 30 min to bolt on.

Here is all you would need
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/cht-13333

The class 4 ones are full replacement bars that are like 200 bucks.

Last edited:

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
I have a Ram ecodiesel and I have a Class IV receiver. Every 2014 1500 I've seen in lots also have Class IV receivers. These are complete receivers. All you have to do is buy the hitch of your choice, pop it in and fasten it in place with the hitch pin. It sounds to me like you are saying that the truck's receiver is incomplete and I don't understand that.

What does ""most" of a..... hitch" mean? What does "platform" trailer hitch mean?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The ram trucks come with the hitch bar installed they just don't have a receiver tube on them. As seen in this picture all you have to do is bolt on the receiver tube, 3 bolts and 80 bucks later your set up with a class 3 hitch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 73

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Here is a pic of what you would bolt on if your truck doesn't come with 1 from the factory.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 207

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '14 came without a hitch. I added the bolt on class III receiver. If you want it to be class IV you have to buy the whole assembly that includes a new cross tube with the receiver welded to it. I've seen it on sale for around $145.

Good information in this thread: http://www.ramforum.com/f119/hitch_receiver_help-48107/

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
My '14 came without a hitch. I added the bolt on class III receiver. If you want it to be class IV you have to buy the whole assembly that includes a new cross tube with the receiver welded to it. I've seen it on sale for around $115.

^^^^ yes! Don't pay 400 for the dealer to do it, that's too much!

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can also purchase a class V bolt on from curt for not much more.

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
I stand corrected. Clearly there are Rams coming out w/o hitch receivers.

OP
OP
T

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a Ram ecodiesel and I have a Class IV receiver. Every 2014 1500 I've seen in lots also have Class IV receivers. These are complete receivers. All you have to do is buy the hitch of your choice, pop it in and fasten it in place with the hitch pin. It sounds to me like you are saying that the truck's receiver is incomplete and I don't understand that.

What does ""most" of a..... hitch" mean? What does "platform" trailer hitch mean?

I think I am right in that a rear frame mounted receiver hitch is often referred to as a 'platform hitch'

anybody else want to chime in here on this

thanks 14hemiexpress for that picture, I could build that in a couple of hours without any problem as I have some 2" seamless tubing I keep around for doing 'just hitches'

Fat Bottom girl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn Crew Cab Dually
Engine
6.7 Diesel
That bar is there to reinforce the rear bumper. It is how they get the 5000 lb tow rating off the bumper. It takes a special tow ball with a extra long shaft, that bolts thru the bumper & the bar.

Richo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Hemi
Engine
I just added a Curt Class V for $163.00 delivered from Amazon. 30 minute install. Thanks.