2014 power wagon payload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kbhowe1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, first off really like to forum and look forward to joining.

My dilemma here is the payload capacity for power wagon (slt model). I purchased my first PW on Friday and on Saturday found out the payload capacity is only about 1500, however I noticed the payload capacity on the Laramie model PW is 3100. So how can I increase the payload of my new PW? I am thinking air bags or sumo springs and call it good, but how bad is that for the articulating coil's in the rear of the PW? Why is ther a difference in payload between models? Also, my thinking is worst case I trade in the PW rear coils for standard rear coils (lose the flex in rear but gain payload, everything else should be the same right axle load, brakes etc....)

Pleas help????

BTW, love the PW so far and can't wait to take it to the mountains (after I fix the payload issue) 1500lbs is nothing, younger weight of pop up camper is 600 all 4 passengers and dogs etc... 700, now load the bed of the truck under 100lbs is not possible.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The PW is meant for serious off road duty. Payload is an after thought. The off road suspension is going to reduce the payload. Airbags will not increase the payload. Springs are your only option but they may reduce the articulation.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The Laramie PW has lower payload than the SLT. Not sure where you're seeing 3100 lbs. Nothing can be done to legally increase your payload. Air bags are going to be your best bet, but I'm not sure what's available for the new rear suspension.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

OP
OP
K

Kbhowe1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram Trucks - Towing Capacity Chart

At this website go to the heavy duty 2500 tab and click crew 4x4 and find the PW Laramie and it shows payload, towing is higher too. I even found a PW Laramie for sale online put the vin under look up my truck and the payload shows the 3144, just not sure why?

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The Ram website isn't the most accurate. It's showing you the info for a non-PW 2500. Here's a link to the actual data for each truck. ST is 1490 lbs, SLT is 1430 lbs, and Laramie is 1380 lbs. These are the models without the RamBox. Add the RamBox and the weights are worse.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2014/docs/ram/rammlup2500.pdf

OP
OP
K

Kbhowe1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We'll that sucks!!! Should've done more homework before jumping into a new vehicle. I will probably go talk to the dealership and see if there is anything they suggest, like switching out the rear coils, but will probably end up with air bags for now. When going hunting this year I will end up with 2k in payload because my pop up camper is about 600 in tongue.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
We'll that sucks!!! Should've done more homework before jumping into a new vehicle. I will probably go talk to the dealership and see if there is anything they suggest, like switching out the rear coils, but will probably end up with air bags for now. When going hunting this year I will end up with 2k in payload because my pop up camper is about 600 in tongue.

They won't suggest anything because exceeding your payload will void your warranty. There is nothing you can do to increase it. You can help prevent sag but your payload capacity will always be the same.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just remember that there's no legal way to increase the payload. It is what it is. You can however do some mods to handle the additional weight if you don't mind running over loaded. ;)

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Payload capacity is based a great deal on handling characteristics when loaded up- steering, braking, maneuvering, body roll, etc. True weight carrying capacity would be the sum of your axles while not exceeding either, but the payload is the breaking point for how the truck behaves and the crossing of acceptable margins for braking etc. The super *****-flexy suspension and front and rear locking diffs and supple shocks don't behave well when loaded down like a pack mule. They perform best playing in the dirt. Your frame and axles will hardly be a weak point. It's your suspension and the fact that the PW is already well burdened with add ons like the full skid plates, winch, things like that, and is designed to absorb dirt trails.

So, yes- you can add/ change a couple of items to make the PW a far more capable hauler, but the offroad worthiness will suffer because of that.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your pop up has a 600lbs tongue weight?:crazy:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I was falling in lust with a Tradesman Powerwagon, but the payload deal can be a problem if you work the truck. It is built for a task, and payload suffers. Horses for courses, as they say.

OP
OP
K

Kbhowe1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I have a somerset E3 trailer and dry touché weight is 400. Then when I put my 99 grizzly (600lbs) and load up the 4 wheeler gas cans cooler etc.. The tongue weight only increases so 600 is a guess but should be really close.

I would give up articulation if I know for sure what would increase the payload. I like the sumo springs because they look very easy to install and won't affect the ride unloaded at all. But I am not against replacing the coils in the rear as well, I just don't want to cause problems long term because I plan on keeping this truck for a very long time!!!

OP
OP
K

Kbhowe1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a pic as well, just had to do it. I know the graphics are a little over the top but they didn't have a tradesman and my wife really wanted something to stand out (think I got that covered now).

Also long term thinking little bigger lift and tires, maybe when the aftermarket catches up there will be some heavier springs that will lift and improve payload :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 304

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
At the end of the day, the power wagon is still a 2500. I'd bag it or add a bit to the rear coils and forget about it. The Axles, frame, etc. Are still 2500 class- and the weight you are talking about is something I wouldn't even worry about.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Here is a pic as well, just had to do it. I know the graphics are a little over the top but they didn't have a tradesman and my wife really wanted something to stand out (think I got that covered now).

Also long term thinking little bigger lift and tires, maybe when the aftermarket catches up there will be some heavier springs that will lift and improve payload :)

Yeah, that thing won't hardly carry a sack of cement, so you'd better sell it to me for fifty cents on the dollar:naughty:

OP
OP
K

Kbhowe1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hahahahahahaha

Nice laugh there, all in all it really is one of the coolest and nicest riding truck I have ever drivin. I traded in an 08 F250 crew with 5.4 and an 11 F150 ecoboost and this thing rides better than both and has similar power to the ecoboost. And yes even as nice as my buddies 11 chevy with 6.0. I drove both and noticed the power is close to the same with the 3.73 gears but when I went to the 4.10 the low end torque is significantly better than the chevy. Hunting season out here starts August 16 and I can't wait to use this truck the way it's meant to. Should have some cool pics later in the year while using the truck (if I take the time to get out of the truck, because you know I'm not going get stuck Xfingers)

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your payload is only 1500?! That makes me feel better- sorry.
I'd look into a set of Airlift or Firestone bags to help with any sag if you find it to be a problem. they won't increase any capacities but they help the ride, level things out and keep your geometry correct if you tow a trailer. Also keep it from looking silly, with your headlights illuminating the trees :)

OP
OP
K

Kbhowe1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, the sticker on the door says front GAWR is 4700lbs and the rear is 6200lbs. Does anyone know what a regular crew, short bed, slt would show?

I know I am overthinking this but I just want to know what would break if overloaded, obviously the axels and frame will be fine.
, the brakes should all be the same. I am thinking the only difference is the coil's.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, the sticker on the door says front GAWR is 4700lbs and the rear is 6200lbs. Does anyone know what a regular crew, short bed, slt would show?

I know I am overthinking this but I just want to know what would break if overloaded, obviously the axels and frame will be fine.
, the brakes should all be the same. I am thinking the only difference is the coil's.
Yeah, the coils- but even they are rated to carry the total gawr for that particular axle. They won't fail under that rating- or at least shouldn't.