2014 Ram 1500 cross-country tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTMEPT7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all. I'm a new member and this is my first post. I own a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Black Edition Crew Cab. 5.7 Hemi with 8 Speed Transmission. Bone Stock and I'm the original owner. She's at about 37k miles. I have a little towing experience because of towing my buddy's boat in his Chevy Silverdao, but by no means am I an expert. I need your guys' experience, advice, and recommendations. I am moving from Detroit, MI to El Paso, Texas. I plan on renting a U-Haul 6x12 cargo trailer. Empty weight is 1,920lbs. I'm gonna load my motorcycle and some furniture (tables, chairs, my son's bed etc). Total weight of trailer loaded will be no more than 3,500lbs. Total trip is 1,750 miles. This is my first tow ever in this truck, and it will be my last (as far as long distance goes). One time deal here. Going to get a fresh oil change before and after. Do you guys believe it is capable of towing that much weight for that long of a distance? Will my truck be okay? My main concern is the wear and tear (especially the transmission). I don't want to arrive safe and sound and then next year need a new transmission or drivetrain. I appreciate all input.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Lol, honestly man the truck will hardly feel that load. Just change your oil at the regular intervals, you don't need to change it before and after, that's just wasting money.

There will not be wear and tear, I've put many more miles on with my truck towing a lot more weight, as have a lot of the guys on here with no issues. Trucks are meant to be worked, this will be nothing for it.

Just enjoy the drive man!

My Advice:

1. Does the trailer have brakes? If not maybe upgrade to one that does. I know it's only 3500 lbs, but with you being inexperienced with towing it would be good to have trailer brakes. Especially when doing 70 mph on the highway.

2. Make sure the trailer sits level when hooked to your truck.

3. Take it easy at first, get familiar with the trailer and how your truck handles with it.

4. Check the tire pressure periodically in the trailer tires. I say this because U-Haul trailers usually take a beating and might have older worn out tires. With it being a single axle you'll want both tires to have the same PSI in them.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Yep, pretty much what XRSMAN said, you want even know it's there, you didn't say what gears you have but if you have the 3.55 or 3.92 you will still be alright.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Oh welcome to RF.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Tow/haul button when in use keeps my tranny 20* cooler. But I'm pulling double your weight.... Still it may help you.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
never tow anything without it being in tow/haul. shifting constantly builds heat, and allowing the torque converter to lock and unlock will destroy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tsc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck is more then capable for towing that weight, it'll be barely a blip in your rear view mirror.

I'm a huge fan of the tow/haul button when towing.

Some say to use it, only if the tranny is "hunting" for gears or shifting more often then it should.

I don't know all the ins/outs of the towing button, but I know that the extra fuel I use by being in a lower gear with the tow option. It's cheaper then a tranny replacement/repair.

The 6 x 12 UHAUL should have hydraulic surge brakes (some states require trailer brakes at 2000 lbs) so, UHAUL covers their ass, by putting brakes on anything close to that number.

If you haven't used hydraulic trailer brakes before, it's pretty idiot proof (aka, nothing to get wired into the truck, nothing special--except how to lock out the trailer brakes to back up). So when you get the trailer, ask them, how to lock out the trailer brakes, to back up

One last thing, leave lots of room in front of you. Not so much as your truck's capabilities, but more of UHAUL's wonderful track record. I'm sure the trailer brakes won't be pristine, so make sure you leave lots of room to compensate.

ps. Welcome to the forum and good luck and safe travels.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My son just rented the same trailer and towed it from Houston to Northern Michigan. Nice unit with dual axles and brakes. Towed straight and easy. He has an HD2500 GMC but your's should be more than adequate.

U-Haul won't rent it to you if they think it will be an issue. Try renting a car trailer from them and I'll bet they will want a 3/4 ton so I wouldn't worry. Have fun and take the pros advice in the previous posts.

I'd hook my 2104 Sport to it without a worry.

BTW, buy a good heavy ball and mount.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What they said plus at each fuel stop check your hitch, safety chains and tire pressures all around. Add a few pounds more to the back tires just to compensate for the tongue weight of the trailer.

Don't load all the weight on the rear of the trailer. Try to be 50/50 over the trailer axles or, if necessary, heavier towards the front than the rear.

With respects to the hitch, grease the ball before you leave. Then, at each fuel stop, straddle the trailer tow bar facing the tailgate, grab it from underneath with both hands and pull up. Try to dislodge it from the hitch ball on the truck. It will be loose but it won't come off if it is properly attached. Make sure the safety chains are still hooked to the truck's hitch. Give it all a once over.

As far as the load, the truck will do fine. With that trailer hitched to the truck you will not be anywhere near the truck's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

Sportram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4 CC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I did this a couple months ago didn't even know the trailer was back there.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have nothing to add all these guys covered it. 3500lbs is nothing even for the v6 let along the hemi. Just here to add some reassurance. You'll be fine.

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 14 sport rented 6x12 uhaul trailer from fl to va and back u can feel the weight but has no problem pulling . Only thing u will notice is gas mileage

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
44 psi (cold) in the shoes if yer running the stock p-metrics. Helps a touch with handling and mpg's.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
No worries dude, I've towed a 21ft boat that weighs in around 4,000lbs maybe more 2.5 hours away multiple times, and I have the v6.

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3500lbs? That might wear your transmission out if you left it hooked up to your truck for 300,000 miles. Trucks are made for pulling and hauling. Have fun using it for what it was built for and welcome to West Texas!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
DON'T DRIVE 70 MPH! I bet a dollar to a doughnut that the tires are rated at 65mph, and that is if they are 10 ply. Make sure you have a good spare and 4 way tire iron that fit the lugs on the trailer and a jack that will lift the trailer if you have a flat. I know they are suppose to come out and change any flats you have but sometimes it is a long lonely wait, and that's if they ever show up. I also have a lazer thermometer for the wheel hubs and tires when I stop to get gas just to check the tires and hubs, along with checking the air pressure. If your going to El Paso, your going through the most beautiful part of Texas so enjoy the view----NOT! Have a safe trip
Jay

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most uhaul crap is slathered with 55 mph limit stickers.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
ditto what Maddog said. Enough tongue weight is really important, otherwise the tail is going to be wagging the dog. I've experienced that, and barely escaped unscathed. Be careful where you park overnight, some scumbags love to prey on trucks and trailers.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All good advice. Most of us here aren't "I can't even tell my 10,000lb trailer is there!" guys, and we all know you'll be just fine. You're well within your limits. Just keep the speed down and keep an eye on the tires and all the hitchy parts :)