2014 Ram 1500 Express Towing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrodaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I'm new to this so please bare with me. I am loooking to tow a toy hauler with a bone stock 2014 Ram 1500 Express. Trailer weighs 6500 lbs dry, once loaded with my RZR that would put us around 8300 lbs not including anything else in the trailer. I am wondering how much weight I can safely haul with passengers and cargo.

please please help...

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I think you'll be over your payload limit with that rig.

What is your payload limit on your yellow door jamb sticker?

From that figure subtract the weight of all passengers and cargo in the truck, the weight of the weight distribution hitch (you'll need one ) and the tongue weight of the trailer, which on that rig is likely in the 1000 lb range or so, perhaps a little less since its a TH.

You probably have a payload in the 1500 lb range or so, so that's only 500lb left for weight of all passengers, cargo and the wdh. Probably a no go unfortunately.

Half tons have artifically high tow ratings. They many times will run out of payload long before they hit the tow rating. Good luck.

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed. Payload is not very high on the Ram half-tons. IMO, your rig is way too heavy. You might be ABLE to pull it, but I can almost guarantee you won't enjoy the experience.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The payload maybe on the low side on Rams but it is not the determining factor for towing.
The numbers you need to concern yourself with is the the truck's GCWR and the GAWR. Even with 3.92 gearing, that puts you with about 10K of weight capacity, whether it's in the truck or on the trailer(see why payload is irrelevant?).
If your above weights are accurate, odds are you'll be way over once you load up everything you need to take.
Take your truck and trailer to an actual scale loaded minus the RZR and see what everything actually weighs.

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Used to pull a 10k loaded horse trailer with my 2013 1500 Express. Never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Used to pull a 10k loaded horse trailer with my 2013 1500 Express. Never had an issue.

You were probably way overweight. But glad you had no issues. Did you ever weigh your rig?

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You were probably way overweight. But glad you had no issues. Did you ever weigh your rig?

No. Had enough power to pull it uphill, and great brakes on truck and trailer to stop it going downhill. As long as I have those two things (braking being most important to me) I don't worry about it.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was told once that the sticker on the driver side door jam is not the total payload capacity. It is the people and cargo capacity for inside the cab of the truck.

My door jam sticker and the RamTrucks.com numbers are not the same max weight. Is anyones? So is it true the door sticker is just a max weight for inside the cab?

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I was told once that the sticker on the driver side door jam is not the total payload capacity. It is the people and cargo capacity for inside the cab of the truck.

My door jam sticker and the RamTrucks.com numbers are not the same max weight. Is anyones? So is it true the door sticker is just a max weight for inside the cab?

Incorrect. It includes all weight in the truck. In the cab and bed. My truck has over 3100 lbs of payload on that yellow sticker. That's the whole ehchalada.

Acording to the ram trucks website where you run your vin for payload, i have over 3200lb according to that. Right , wrong or indifferent, my understanding is that the yellow sticker is more accurate as that is printed at the factory when the truck is assembled.

Remember that anything you add to the truck reduces that number. Side steps, lift kits, bigger wheels and tires, aux. Lighting, push bumpers, etc.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Acording to the ram trucks website where you run your vin for payload, i have over 3200lb according to that. Right , wrong or indifferent, my understanding is that the yellow sticker is more accurate as that is printed at the factory when the truck is assembled.

Remember that anything you add to the truck reduces that number. Side steps, lift kits, bigger wheels and tires, aux. Lighting, push bumpers, etc.

That stick and the website both give bad information. According to the yellow sticker on on door, I can overload the payload with the just five passengers in the cab. According to the website I have no payload and a towing capacity less than a gasser V-6

If you want the correct information, look up the SAEJ2807 towing charts for your truck.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow! So if the sticker means total weight of payload and people in the cab and bed of the truck, a Ford Ranger has a higher payload capacity than my truck.
AND the Honda Ridgeline has my 5.7 Hemi beat by a lot too!

Thats it, I'm getting the heat gun out and removing the sticker.

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Not sure what's going on with all your trucks but all 3 of my Rams door stickers and RamTrucks website match identically.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The payload maybe on the low side on Rams but it is not the determining factor for towing.

It isn't the determining factor but it is certainly part of the equation. If the tongue weight of the trailer contributes too much weight pushing the payload beyond the truck's rated payload then it is an issue. You got to remember, there is more to towing and payloads than axle ratings. Research the criteria used for tow ratings in the J2807 specification RAM uses to rate their tugs.

If you want the correct information, look up the SAEJ2807 towing charts for your truck.

The placard in the driver's door jamb area is accurate for that truck. The placards are adjusted for options that have been added to the truck, for example, a sun roof.

Last edited: